1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Time to Exercise?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pooja, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

sounds right, Shal

Dear Shal,

Thanks for a quick answer. I sit on my Exercycle, otherwise, I assume we are on the same plane of thought.

I think your answer is right. Since I have been using high resistance for long, I discovered only recently that with lower levels, I reach the target faster. But as you say, with higher resistance I can lose calories and tone muscles.

Can more ladies share their thoughts on this?

cheers
    Vidya

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Resistance is good

Hi Vidya,

Yes resisitance is good. The calories you burn with resistance training come directly from your body fat. Since you are exerting your muscles to do the work out. With no resistance, you are just burning up your sugar cals. So if you want to loose weight, add resistance and weight to your work out. If using weights, then alternate aerobic and weights every other day. I do the tread mill at home for an hour daily . Walk to 4 mph speed and with an incline grade of 5 %. This way i take longer to burn calories, than i would doing it on just plain flat surface. I also have a set of dumbels at home and some ankle weights. That i do. Don't have the time to go the gym to do the regular weights.

Vandhana

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Vandhana-thanks

Hi Vandhana,

That was one useful explanation. I understand now the difference between burning sugar cals and real cals. I do not have a treadmill, but will be able to access one soon. So will fix the settings as suggested by you. It is difficult for me too to visit a gym daily, so I work out at home.

Love & regards
    Vidya

4. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Weight training- toning muscles

Thanks for the useful info Vandhana. Just like you said, I do cardio and weight training on alternate days of the week with a break on sunday. I prefer the elliptical to treadmill and hence do about 4-6 miles of cardio(takes around 30-45 mins) and weight training and ab crunches for 30-40 mins. We have two gyms at the apartment complex and hence I workout there. On days when I don't find time to hit the gym-which is rare-I play the Cardio Salsa Crunch workout dvd by Giselle Roque and workout(dance) at home.

Not only does exercise make me fit, it gives a sense of rejuvenation and relief from stress!

-Shal

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Interesting topic

Hi Ladies,
    Love the discussion. I am a member of a local gym. Try to go as much as possible. The instructors say that when you do aerobic exercise you have to do it above your heart rate. For instance each one of us have a different set of numbers depending on our height,weight and age. So it differs for each person. We need to maintain our heart rate at that given number. That is when we really burn fat otherwise they say we just waste our time. You get heart rate monitors in any of the sporting stores. Some of the latest treadmills have a heart rate monitor also. That really helps me stay in the zone. Just thought will share my experience with you all.
    Bye,

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

share some resources

Hello Shal, Vandhana, Anjana,

Nice to see all of you keeping this discussion pumping.

Shal- I am trying to get the salsa DVD you have mentioned. Are there any other fitness DVDs etc that are good?

Also, can we pool our ideas on what fitness tapes/DVDs that we use?

I will be grateful if anyone can suggest a TaiChi DVD for beginners and intermediate users.

cheers
    Vidya

7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Regarding videos

Hi Vidya,
    I am one of those who can never work out with videos,so I have no clue. I would love to hear from others though. I always like going to the gym since watching others exercise motivates me.
    Bye,

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

You all motivate me

Hai girls,
    You people seem to take god care of your health. We women at this side of the planet are all lazy bones and find some lame excuses to avoid exercise.
    I would like to get some advice and suggestions abut working out-can you help?
    I am 42 and weigh 75 kg (170lbs, I guess). I am only 150 cms tall (5feet). Now I am facing health problems viz. sleep apnoea. I have been advised to reduce my weight , atleast by 10 to 15 kg. I have a manula treadmill, static cycle and a twister at home (bought on my pestering). But I do not follow a strict regime like you and now they are all lying waste for the past several months. I have a two wheeler and travel on that most of the time. I bought all the machines as I could not go out of the house to work out.
    My main problem is my tummy- how can I reduce it? It is so big, do not laugh, that I seem to be pregnant in my 9th month.If I reduce at least half of it, I may get rid of at least 9 kgs of weight off me. Can you suggest a plan for my workout? I will be very thankful to you all.
    Happy working out.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

No easy way out..

Dear Varloo,

You seem to have the same affliction that affects most of south indian women. We are generally small and eat plenty of high carb diet. Also, most of us do not give much importance to physical exercise. This applies to me too. But some of us are lucky in that we stay slimmer, thanks to genes, while some of us do not.
    Considering all this, the only way is to be very careful as to what food we partake and how much and when. Also, keeping to a strict exercise schedule is a must, atleast in the beginning to lose those excessive pounds.
    In my opinion, instead of eating three big meals, it is better to eat smaller portions distributing the mealtimes to 5 or 6 times or more. Also, one should NOT eat heavy in the night and try to finish off the last meal atleast before 8pm. Maintain a regular pattern of exercise. Hope our younger ILites here can advise as to which are effective and firming and toning.
    It is very important not only to train our bodies, but also our psyche to adhere to a certain pattern. The 'will power' to execute our thoughts is the most important and the driving force here, which most of us lack!
    Best of luck Varloo. That you wish it so much is one big step in the right direction.
    L,
    Kamla

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Varloo- stay on course

Dear Varloo,

It is not easy to lose weight, but is definitely possible. Focus on the latter part of that line. The exercycle is a good way to start since you are sitting while working out- so the cycle carries the weight. And believe me after three months of rigid cycyling when you get Lance Armstrong legs and lose kilos too, all the sweating will seem worthwhile. Also, if you can start with a brisk walking session, that will get you started.

As Kamla says, it is all in the mind. There will be lapses when we eat festival feasts and bhakshanams, moments when we are under stress and reach out for a chocolate- but resist all that, keep on course. If you can cut all sugar and fried food- that will itself be good.

Check your pm also.

warm regards
    Vidya