1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Finding difficult to take decision ... suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by brindhaaa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

My Son school ( International ICSE- affliated to cambridge university) is located 10 mins from my place .. now they have announced they are moving to a new premises which is 25 kms from my place next academic year .. my son will be in GRADE 1 next year ..

About school :

International school , excellent teaching , wonderful and extremely friendly , helpful , guiding teachers and principal, above all my son enjoys going to school ,he learnt a lot and his overall personality has improved ..

Now being a parent , iam unable to make decision .. Should i continue because of all the plus or considering the distance ( transportation available in school) , to and fro travelling , whether it wil be tedious for my child ( considering his age) if he continous in this school.. the moment i say shall we move to someother wonderful school this year , he immediately starts yelling /repends .. he says he loves his school and he cant think of moving to another school ... the school timings 9.30 to 3.30 pm

please suggest ..

2. achu1

achu1 Silver IL'ite

25 kms dont seem very far if the school themselves provide transportation.

3. saanshre

saanshre Junior IL'ite

hi Brindhaa.
    really a tough situation.
    i wud suggest that either u move to the same locality (maybe on rent) if u r very keen on making ur son continue in this school or change ur son's school to one nearby. he will adjust slowly though it wud be difficult initially. But it will be for the better as 25 kms. is a lot of distance. not only will ur child get tired unnecessarily,but also will be left with little time to play or self study.
    Also, in case of any emergency, it will be difficult for u to reach the school and u will always be worried about ur child till he will reaches home.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

25 km in chennai would take how much time to commute? Trial run perhaps and see in rush hour one day? If it's only 20-30 mins, I think it's not worth it to change. If it's taking longer, perhaps it's better to consider another school.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Doesn't 25 Kms take more than an hour to get to in the morning. I know my DD rode th bus for 45 mins to gt to her school 10 Kms away(Bangalore). Honestly, even at her age, 10 yrs, she found that tough. Was super tired in the evening. Even if school starts at 930 the bus may leave early. Imagine leaving at 8 and not getting back till 4:45. I would suggest you relocate closer to school if that's an option. IMO no school is worth a travel of more than 30 mins.

6. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

abroad 25 kms doesn't seem much and wont take much time. but in India considering the condition of the road, it will take a lot of time. If shifting near the school is ok then you can consider that or change the school. Kids will find it difficult initially but will adjust. Don't worry. It will be bit too much for a child so young to travel 25 kms.

7. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

it is hard decision to make & specially more so as your son enjoys the school & you are also happy with the school..........

will the school provide transport,are there other kids in neighbourhood going to same school........if there are other kids then I think its okay as soon your child will adjust.....the key is to make his life less stressful at home allowing him time to play & sleep well on time....
    many kids travel in transport buses from villages to attend school in towns ...... in old times many kids used to walk for 3-4 km to reach school & then walk back.....kids are strong & they cope up with whatever situation they face.

I am the 1st one to suggest that the school should be as near to home as possible but in metros its not possible & then getting admission in good schools is also not very easy so one does do compromises.......maybe you can try to see how things go for 6 mths & if you feel your child is not happy about that much travelling then consider changing to nearby school(I am assuming changing house is not option)

8. rakpri

rakpri Junior IL'ite

when your son is comfortable with the school please dont change, 25 kms is not a big issue it would hardly take 45 mins..

9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

At your son'a age, travel time of over 20 min each way everyday will be exhausting-especially given the traffic, pollution and weather. If you are able to move closer to the school, great. Otherwise it is best to move him to another school which is closer. Of course he will protest now - he is probably nervous about all things new. He will get used to the new school though once he makes a few new friends.

10. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Thanks ladies .. Shifting house is not possible since we are in our own house here ....plus other constraints .. As Mahajanpragati told , we are thinking of sending him by school transportation for 6 months , if he is comfortable we will continue otherwise we will move him to other school. School is going to shift the premises somewhere between nov -dec this year .. so after which only 4 academic months ..