1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, It Feels Like Winter!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Enjoy the winter as you always do. If I was there, I would be complaining about the need to shovel the snow on the drive way, worry about driving safely within those two lanes and bring back children. You attitude of acceptance changes the way you think.

I don't volunteer to go and enjoy the snow on my own but I was in snow many times due to my travel schedule. The first one in Paris in 1996 and the second in New York in 1997 and third in Montreal in 2001 and so on. I am more of Sun worshiper and when I see the bright sunny day, I wear a big smile and look forward to get some good stuff done all day. May be that is why the Lord placed in me in Florida for the past 23 years since I migrated to the United States.

Viswa

Srama and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sabs,
    Lovely write up, though I must admit that after reading your post I had to have something hot. Had some hot "adai" and am back now to give my feedback.

I always smile when I think how winter sets in just after we welcome Sun back to the North, and also how sunny it is yet freezing cold. The Sun is so powerful!

I too am glad that winter is here. After so many decades living in this area, I feel out of whack if winter time is warm. I love the snap of cold as it hits the face when we go outside.

Unfortunately, we are very sure that from this year on my home will never get snow. Forget what the weather forecast says...the homes next to us and across us will get snow, but not us.
    That's because after decades of shoveling snow from our long and wide driveway, we just bought a snow blower!!:D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Amica, Srama, nandinimithun and 2 others like this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Srama

Hi,

I enjoyed every bit of your well narrated article throughly. I feel so much positivity in your writing. We live in one of the coldest states and we have kind of hubiernation from December to April. Living from last 4 years in this State, I tuned myself to accept and enjoy snow days.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Srama likes this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

I was there with you while you have shoveled the snow, spoke to your neighbors and then finally when you sipped your cuppa. You are uniquely talented indeed.

Winter at our end is so different. Freezing cold due to the strong Northerly winds but Sun is shining through a clear sky. I can even feel the proudness he must be feeling. There is no snow as yet and that is new for Aberdeen. I secretly wishing for snow to arrive so are my boys. We are very lucky as we will breathe fresh regardless of the season. Now I will wait for our turn of snow with a hot coffee cup in my and too.:hearteyes:

Love,
    Vani

Srama, Viswamitra and nandinimithun like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Geeta, @GeetaKashyap

Despite the heavy snow and all, we kind of enjoy winters too - no doubt it gets on one's nerves after a couple of months but it is also time for all that you describe - cooking, lazying around, fire place, hot chocolate and the sighs and groans as we get ready to head out for the day during the week! Kids do have a routine, a ritual actually for no snow day that they follow if snow is expected. It is kind of cute - something to pajamas inside out, icecubes flushed down and what not!

Now, now now with Sankranthi I was thinking of avrekai, a favorite of course. Thankfully these days Indian stores carry frozen ones and we make do. I think what we miss the most is the fruits, the choice becomes limited and if you are not a banana/apple/pear person, it can get hard. Now that you mentioned avarekai, it is time to use that for my next akki rotti for the weekend!

Thank you for your feedback!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @nandinimithun ,

Oh good old Bengaluru!! Now looking at the snow around me, Bangalore winters bring a smile. You are right! How pretty - all the mufflers and monkey caps and shawls! You have to give me the recipe of avarekalu mixture when you get a chance. Would love to make some!

Thank you for your response taking me back to namma bengaluru!

nandinimithun likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

This is it! Dress well and there is no reason we cannot enjoy the snow!
    I have begun to rely and like seasonal changes too. In fact with all this snow, all I am looking forward to some good yield with my fruits and vegetables! Can you believe it?
    Thank you for your words of appreciation. Makes me happy and it is always so good to hear from good friends. Thank you!

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Of course you were there! How could you not? :)

Thank you Satchi for your words of encouragement. Of course I will always think of you , especially when I see those birds. Like I always say, come visit!

satchitananda likes this.
  9. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Sure dear @Srama I will share the avarekalu mixture sometime.. .
    All the best for your writing and keep sharing your lovely experiences with us....

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Nope, not at all! We look forward to lovely spring :)
    Thank you for sharing your winters!