1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fil Sending Texts To Our Friends

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

My FIL is very nosy, and interfering type of person, in addition to all these, he of course, has a lot of other vices..whenever he came to stay with us in the past, he takes phone numbers of whoever friends visit us, our neighbours even those with whom we dont keep close relations with..adds them on whatsapp..this is very uncomfortable for me, initially I thought its just his nature/behaviour..but sometimes I found that he has been sending messages texts etc to them behind our back to enquire about us...We talked to him about it but he doesnt mend his ways...Like any normal family, we keep private things to ourselves or share with just close people, sometimes there are issues that we dont want to share with ILs or anybody at home..for eg, some days if SIL wants to chat with us on skype we can find some excuse like we are out etc..but at the back of our minds, its always like FIL is keeping a tab on us....this attitude of his is looking very creepy...Last time when we visited India, we were house hunting and we were taking uber cabs a lot of times, so there was one which was kind of fixed....to that cab driver, he is divulging a lot of stuff about us, as in we are from usa, looking for houses, where we work, what kind of doctors we visit here etc..it was shocking to me..then one day one friend whom I have met after 15 yrs, came and met for a cup of tea at my ILs home, he just took her phone number and keeps sending here texts, like (how are you beti, etc).....more than me, he keeps a tab on my and my DH friends....has anyone been in this situation or what are you guys suggest?

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Is he a retired, and has nothing else to do ? This is indeed a difficult problem. The generic solution for any leaks is to plug the leak as much as you can.
    Deny access. Or.. feed acceptable nonsensical stories telling him that it is the most confidential. For example,
    you had just adopted a mastiff pup, that is expected to grow to be 4 feet tall.
    you, your husband have got matching tattoos on your butts.
    you, your husband are going on a canoe trip to the upper amazon, and plan to live on what you can hunt.
    ...etc...
    After some of these circulate in whatsup, you can (on voice phone chats) tell a few of the friends in the circle that your poor,dear, old, Pop is going a leetul different, and could they please be nice to him?...

That could fix the leak problem. Or you two could achieve a grand reputation as adventurous, and extraordinary people.

Meet9 likes this.
  3. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

haha loved your post...I would love to ghumaofy him and in fact tried too but DH becomes senti, afetall its his dad..
    Yes he is retired, but full of energy and enthusiasm, not in a good way, when its time to pay with his grandson, he becomes lay when its time for his "fun"stuff like this, he is all active, he pretends not able to hear me as per his whims and fancies..I hate to say but I really abhor him, and try best to avoid to talk to him, and now since he hasnt mend his ways, neither is he going to, he is going to have to stay away from me..no more his visits. else I am leaving the home..

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

How very irritating!!!
    My fil is a bit like that but atleast he does not take numbers.He just interrogates every guest ,neighbor like criminals.

How about not calling friends while he is around (I avoid doing that)....or letting friends know that they should give their numbers only at their own risk because your fil will harass them with calls later.

Also tell him not to share your personal issues with strangers or neighbors because it is not safe from security point of view. Tell him a few nightmare stories of crimes .

Seriously , some people just grow old without any signs of wisdom coming close to them.

sindmani and Meet9 like this.
  5. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks!

I know, how irritating it is, I have so much disliking for old men who don't behave their age..I always avoid him and I think he knows that he has the "power" to irritate me, he enjoys it definitely.

We told him not to share such info with autowala or cabdrivers, he is going around relatives telling that we are restricting him..he makes fun of us saying we are paranoid by not being free to talk to any person on the road.....he doesn't do that with BIL family, this that he is faithful to aggressive BIL irks me the most, my DH is softie he exploits this fact.. I did consider avoiding friends when he is around, but its not possible if he stays for longer duration, there are also some acquaintances who secretly enjoy the family drama and FIL really makes a show of our family..

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

How old is the man ?
    He needs a sidekick. I noticed that you have not mentioned a wife. If there isn't one, perhaps he needs one.

Meet9 likes this.
  7. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

My MIL is very much around him, she plays politics in kitchen dept and He plays it outside, both are big politicians, both are constantly on phone talking to my SIL or BIL and giving live commentary of our home matters while when they go to their place, they forget calling or even picking up our phones....enjoy creating havoc in our married life :-( right now their B2 visa is expired and DH wanted to go for their renewal..I am expecting our second child, sponsoring visa renewal for my mom..so DH said since we are doing the paperwork, lets get it done for them, and we just finished arguing over why we need a breather after having a delivery and getting back right on track with our routine, with my job search etc..in all those tensions, I dont want them here as I need some peace..

Nonya likes this.
  8. OhReally

OhReally New IL'ite

Remember they can only create a havoc in your married life, if you allow them.If you totally ignore them then they cant. Now is the time for you to divert all your attention only to your delivery and get ready for your baby. You already have a lot on your hands.

About your FIL, do you know which of your friends he messages? You can tell your friend that he has lost his phone or figure out a reason and ask them to block your FILs number. Or if they are not close friends or neighbours, they wont have any news to pass about you anyways. Whatever way you can just do not pass any information or news about your family to FIL, dont let him create a drama. Be stern and protect your privacy.

Meet9 likes this.
  9. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Yes, we know some of our friends who got his messages, when we confronted FIL about it expressing shock why you are directly sending texts to them, he shamelessly says he is just saying hi hello, or he is just sending fwd messages (which is not true completely), these things are so vague, he can easily refuse he is not doing anything while we have proof (our friend showing his cellphone)..we have tried first in a polite way as he is elder (i have finished my time patience giving him benefits of doubts, i dont care if he is elder or what not) so he shud not get embarrassed..DH will always forgive him..

I dont know how to ignore them because whenever DH and me have arguments, he agrees my pov but also wants to always give his parents benefit of doubt, makes senti comments like they are already old, why make things complicated etc.....I have tried best not to talk to them but DH calls them daily for 5 to 10 min while going to office....but yah I am very strict about my privacy..I am not going to compromise on it..

10. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

My inlaws do this too, especially mil.. They get our friends numbers when they visit, add them on Facebook and talk to us as if they know more about our friends than us.. They visit our friends' families or parents in india often unannounced, skype call our friends and talk to them without telling us... phew
    I think it's their age and insecurity, they keep playing these games with us.. They can't see us happily having fun with our friends, they want to be involved even if when we are continents apart.. Because of this we are unable to talk freely with our friends and vice versa..