1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fifty Four Years Mumbai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jun 30, 2019.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Yesterday my daughter reminded me that I hav ecompleted 54yrs in Mumbai. I cant imagine that I have completed so many memorable years in Mumbai. I was in Hyderabad and when I was 22 yrs in 1965 in the month of August we came to Mumbai. In two days only I joined the Company which I got it through recommendation of my boss in Hyderabad , otherwise getting a job in such an International Company is not so easy. I had to travel from Goregaon to VT, first few days my brother came with me to leave me as I am not used to train travel. Once I got adjusted to train travel one day I forgot that he had also come and went straight to office , when he phoned forgetting that I told him I have come to office where will I go. That is Aamchi Mumbai we forget everything when we are travelling and our aim is at the destination. WE shifted many places. Had stayed inGoregaon, Andheri, some other place name I forgot inbetween Andheri and Sakinaka, Vadala, then after marriage Bhandup and Mulund. I have travelled in Best Buses, train, Contract Bus etc. First time when I came and when I saw BEST buses written in th ebuses I thought they are best buses and once when I was travelling to Worli , the conductor said kismat wale uthar jao, I thought only lucky people should get down :).

When I was in Worli could go to Siddhi Vinayak temple once in a while but after shifting to Prabhadevi and after I joined contract bus could go everyday . Also whenever possible we used to go to Mahalaxmi temple. Made so many friends in the train, contract bus , best buses etc. Many sweet memories, if I write it will run to pages

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Aunty you brought back my Mumbai memories. Such a wonderful city it is. I stayed only for 3.5 years.
    Soon after marriage we shifted there and after 3.5 years we decided to move our base to Bangalore.
    Goregaon is the place where my married life started. Such fond memories and can't be forgotten.
    After engagement I came to Mumbai to meet my hubby. So from airport he picked me and we had to go to Mira road. So train was an option. I thought my hubby would book cab but he took me in train. I was feeling so bad that this guy is so stingy and taking his fiance in train. Because I had never done local train travel before. then we went to station and waiting for train. All trains so crowded. I kept telling we will go in next train and that next train which came 20 secs later would also be so crowded. Then after 30mins I realised in Mumbai we cannot expect Empty train.

Then after marriage I learnt a lot in this city. It's my favorite place till now. Life is very fast moving in Mumbai. Transportation especially is wonderful. I remember me and husband used to spend our weekend in nariman point. After we moved to Bangalore we were missing nariman point a lot.

Forget 54 years, for 3.5 years stay I can write a book about Mumbai. :grin::grinning::grimacing:

Even though we like where we stay now we miss Mumbai a lot. Mumbai meri jaan.

iyerviji, Amulet and SinghManisha like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Nice one ! :clap2:
    Unfortunately I am not a kismat-wali.... Never been to Bombay in my life.
    Looks like this is a common feeling about Bombay. I have read the book by S. Mehta. Shortlisted for a pulitzer prize.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    iyerviji, Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji Madam,
    54 years in one place becomes like a hometown. Those in Mumbai feels especially. Very many changes and turning points in life happened in Mumbai.....sweet memories you must be having.
    Syamala

iyerviji likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:It could be Marol Naka.

2. In such a long stay of 54 years, you must have had encountered numerous sweet incidents, happenings, meetings, exposure besides making and enlarging
    Friends circle which in turn might have helped you in various ways.

3. You have written beautifully down the memory lane. Instead of Bombay, had you continued your life in Hyderabad how your life would have turned out? Would it fall in category “ more pleasant” or “ more fortuitous “.

4. In atleast half a dozen of my posts including the winning ones (thanks - both nominated by you) I have attempted describing life in then Bombay Now Mumbai for just married working couple. It also cross the mind of your nominating yet another feedback of mine covering various aspects of Bombay life then.

5. Right Now in monsoon in Mumbai had a record rainfall, it is good for some, bad for some men and industries, enforced holidays for many to remain at home, yet jam packed locals in main line harbour line and western railway .

6. Goregaon nice navrang cinema and Udupi hotel in opposite on east from where I used to drive through AAREY milk colony to Powai Vihar lakes to kanjoormarg via shooting spots in observatory post near the milk bottling plant surrounded by vast green tall standing fodder grass and picturesque mountain range.

7. Twice I over travelled in locals which I realised only when I woke up & when the same train was returning from Thane to Bombay VT. Twice I lost due to pickpocketing in train in monsoon.

8. Once monsoon morning at around nine, I had taken foot on banana peel on the Wadala platform, fallen on to the heap of gravels between the rail tracks with my number locked ECHOLAC brief in hand and local was arriving from sewri bound for Mankkhurd. Luckily for me and to stunned commuters waiting on platform , high tension power went off and so oncoming train halted automatically on track few hundred meters away in front.

9. In the year1955-56, my mother with me and my sister travelled to Bombay to meet and spend summer with dad. But dad was on tour camping interior parts of Maharashtra. For a week, we enjoyed stay in flat of dad’s boss. We three on our own travelled in TRAM spending only few Annas. It was nice to travel in slow moving tram in narrow places and through streets lined up with very tall buildings in areas girgaum vanasvadi mandhir etc.

10. As you said in concluding portion of your post, one can write volumes especially if you had stayed for over five decades.
    Thanks for nostalgia.
    Regards.
    God’s presence felt in milling crowds (read devotees) during Navarathri Friday At Mahalakshmi mandhir.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

54 Years is definitely a long time particularly when a good part of that was spent outside home for jobs. Mumbai has always fascinated me. Been to Mumbai many times and stayed there for months- a city of full of surprises and astute work culture. Hardly travelled by local trains but did saw the huge crowd at VT and Central.
    About forgetting, I am reminded of what happened with Einstein. He was travelling on a train. The ticket checker came checking tickets by. Einstein checked his pockets, handbag but could not find his ticket. The TC said, Sir, don't worry, I know who you are and proceeded on. After a while, he looked back and Einstein was still searching for his ticket. The TC came back and again said not to worry. Upon that Einstein worriedly replied that's fine but I need to know where I am going to.

iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. iyerviji

Glad to know you too like Mumbai and thanks for sharing your experience

Anusha2917 likes this.
  8. iyerviji

You should visit Mumbai once

Amulet likes this.
  9. iyerviji

Yes dear East or West Mumbai is the best. After staying in Mumbai it's difficult to live in other places. I have many sweet memories

10. iyerviji

Ya I have lot of experiences. Had got stuck during rains and stayed in relative's place. Some times have walked through the railway tracks. Have taken a truck to reach home. Those days we did not have phone and had to inform our family through friends.

Thanks for sharung your experience.

Thyagarajan likes this.