FIFA World Cup 2010 Fever grips an AquaticWorld Citizen!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi pals,

We have all , at some point or other done our bit of Crystal Ball Gazing, Tarot Card Reading, Face Reading, Palm Reading,Astrology
    and what have you tucked away , to be the first to get the answers to our desperate urge to know what lies ahead ...pleasant :)-)) or unpleasant:)spin)!! But reading this bit of news from an inhabhitant of the deep blue depths of the vast ocean that is the original home of this OCTOPUS who has achieved Celebrity Status is something unique to say the least.Absolutely amazing that this creature with eight tentacles is endowed with prophetic powers that would put all the famous fortune tellers in the shade !
    Now , read on.....as I just could not resist beaming the spotlight on this enigmatic OCTOPUS !

Agent 008- Paul Octopus!

Until now Octopus vulgaris was the scientific name of creatures with eight tentacles that led boring lives drifting away in the depths of the oceans. They made it to the news only when documentary filmmakers decided to go scuba diving or when food chefs on TV decided to make sushi with their legs. This until Paul came along...

[​IMG]

The Paul in question is no beatle, he doesn't sing or play cricket. All his cousins across the world though are up in arms; jealous at the fact that he has managed to make it to the papers for something everyone does everyday- eat!
    Let's kill the suspense and introduce you to Paul, a British born octopus whom the world belives to be an oracle (we are sure that all he is worried about is the grub in the box). This eight-legged wonder of the world who currently resides at the Sea Life Aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany has rightly predicted the result of every match that Germany has featured in at the World Cup in South Africa.

[​IMG]

When aquarium staff lower two containers with food in his tank, he chooses a jar with the flag of the country that will win the football match in question. Paul rightly predicted Germany's wins over Australia, Ghana, England and Argentina; and also their losses to Serbia and Spain.
    But he has got it wrong in the past. During the Euro 2008 final, he had predicted that Germany would beat Spain in the final. Spain went on to win the final 1-0. So did Paul learn from his mistake or did he just choose the jar with the Spanish flag because the food (usually a mussle) looked better? Either way he has earned the sobriquet as the 'Eighth wonder of the world'!

[​IMG]

So what's next for this celebrity? Will Captain Davy Jones come back from the dead to start an online betting business with Paul (supported by Caribbean venture capitalist Captain Jack Sparrow)? Or has Sir Roger Moore already convinced Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to make a sequel to Octopussy? Agent 008 could help them make a lot of money penny! Move over Daniel Craig.
    But fame comes at a price. Paul knows that he will have to buy a waterproof/bulletproof vest with eight sleeves to protect himself from angry soccer hooligans. The Germans must also be thinking of bringing in their Marines to protect this national treasure from the English- who want him back for obvious reasons. This octopus might just be the new mascot of the Oktoberfest! Just put him in a tank filled with beer and watch your sales increase eight-fold.

[​IMG]

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Paulina mam,

:wowIts so interesting!
    I always have a feeling that animals do/can predict the future in some ways - like Natural Calamity...... though I have never thought about Octopus:hide:
    During Tsunami too, I heard that there were very few deaths of animals.....as they knew what was ahead.... they escaped.

But predicting a man-made game :idea by an Octopus..... Simply superb :thumbsup
    I can only Bowto Paul !!!

3. Paulina

Hi there , yummy CUSTARD!

Yes, its simply astounding to read about Paul the Octopus who has made wonderful prophetic predictions about the World Cup aspirants .The latest we hear is that SPAIn is his choice for the final winner .Lets wait and see.
    He really steals the show over all our Astrologers and Fortune tellers!
    Perhaps he was an avid sportsman or soccer player of the highest order and hence cannot resist displaying his love for the game .
    Wonder how the folks came to know about his unique talent.
    Yes, I've read about many members of the animal kingdom having the power to predict natural calamities like tsunamis and earthquakes.....but Paul here seems to be performing solo and after some deep thinking ?!!
    I read about Paul the octopus in the newspapers and soon chanced upon his predictions on the Net and that goaded me to present his story here.Glad you liked reading it.

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina,

What a amazing piece of article.
    Me too have heard about the animals instinct about natural happenings..but to predict something in sports is really unheard of.

Hmmm so its Spain according to Paul. So, I guess I would be rooting for them....not because I want them to...but because I want Paul's prediction to come true :biggrin2:.

Thanx for this cute little news. Bye

PS: I just edited to add that I now read in a comment about this news in a site that, the prediction has got to do sensitivity of Paul's eye towards the color yellow in the national flag.
    In the finals, the Dutch's flag has no yellow . Hence spain wins :-D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Paulina,
    Nice news you had brought in here, before I saw it on TV..but came late in to give a fb to your article.:-(

Groundhog Day is a holiday celebrated on February 2 in the United States and Canada. According to folklore, if it is cloudy when a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, it is sunny, the groundhog will supposedly "see its shadow" and retreat back into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks.

The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where crowds as large as 40,000[7] have gathered to celebrate the holiday since at least 1886.

This piece of information I got it from Wikipedia.

6. Paulina

Paul the Octopus has a competitor .....read about Mani the Parrot
    who resides in Singapore and is busy with his prophecies too!

Humans are definitely going back to nature after romancing the computers ....we now prefer to rely on the Animal Kingdom it seems!

What a quaint sight , one inhabhitant of the deep blue seas and one from the bright blue skies !
    As I looked at these pictures ,I felt I saw a resemblance between Paul and Mani...just look at their faces ...Paul's head has a parrot like beak formation ! Or are my eyes playing tricks ?? Guess I need to change my glasses !!

[​IMG]
    July 10 — Octopus Paul had predicted Spain will beat Netherlands in the FIFA World Cup 2010 final but there is one competitor for this eight-legged sea crature. Mani, the parakeet, or as known in India a parrot, predicts Netherlands as the World Cup 2010 Champion.
    Mani is an astrologer’s assistant in Singapore’s Little India and it predicted correctly the quarterfinal ties and also the semifinals. It is 13-year-old and assists the owner M Muniyappan, a fortune-teller. Mani has become quite the local celebrity in Singapore.
    Mani had predicted correctly the Netherlands and Brazil match by picking the Dutch card. The bird became celebrity after one of Singapore’s big dailies, The New Paper, asked for the semifinals predictions and it was proven right.
    Mani is a Malaysian-born bird.
    On the otherhand psychic Octopus Paul became a celebrity by predicting all the six matches of Germany in this World Cup, including two defeats to Serbia and Spain. This is the first Paul is predicting the outcome of a game in which Germany was not involved.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. Paulina

Hi Srini,

Wonderful to read about Groundhog Day and the associated hhistory of that .
    So Groundhogs do better joibs than the Weathermen and forecast the end of winter
    correctly.One can never cease to be amazed by all the mysteries of the creatures that Mother Nature cradles in her boosom so lovingly.Each has a stellar role to play and it is so wonderful that we humans acknowledge that fact.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Paulina,
    Your glasses are perfect, I also see the resemblance..:) between those two!
    The one inhabitant from the blue sea..won his competitor as well..
    Paul, predicted right..this time too..:thumbsup

Sriniketan

9. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Gosh Polly !

Just as I was beginning to wonder where have you disappeared, I realize from your post that you were on a adventurous dive digging some fascinating facts on fauna.

Oh my ! You should become the marketing PR for Paul with your excellent analysis now that his popularity has soared to the skies.Your innovative career path for Paul ranging from Agent 008 to anointing as Oracle of Delphi will definitely make him the most prominent figure on red carpet.If ever he was given the choice to select his marketing campaigner , he is definitely gonna select the punnet with your name ( just make sure that it is painted yellow [source : Saras , our esteemed boffin in scientific and research wing ] and laden with Jamie Oliver's seafood delicacies )

Great post and this beats the article I read on Times with your unparalleled wit and humour !

Wait , did I hear octopus is going to be the most popular pet in households now.Bet, with the research you have done already, answering the queries of some of the tyros wrestling with its tentacles is gonna keep you busy in pets forum.:crazy

10. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

Paul's all 8 predictions came true this time in FIFA 2010 SA............

very interesting :thumbsup