1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Few Doubts About Hypothyroidism And Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, May 12, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

During pre pregnancy days, I experienced a few symptoms on and off like extreme hair loss, weakness, irritability, depression , unexpected weight gain , intolerance to cold, anxiety etc,..while doing health checkup TSH level was elevated..maybe around 6.. Hence doctor put me on Thyronorm 25mcg. During pregnancy also I was taking that medicine..after delivery also I was adviced to continue..
    More than 8 months have gone by, I want To get the thyroid levels checked during my next health checkup ..I have few doubts..
    1. I'm having difficulty in losing weight after delivery..even after doing exercise and eating sensibly..is it due to hypothyroidism..
    Suppose thyroid levels are brought to normal with medicine will excess weight reduce?
    2. Usually is medicine stopped if levels come to normal range? Then will weight start increasing again?
    3. What is the normal range for TSH for a persons well being?
    If a person has low TSH will they find it easier to lose weight than person with high TSH assuming they do same amount of exercise and follow same diet?
    4. Those who have issue with weight gain and thyroid, how often should they get blood test done?
    These may seem like silly question, so i was hesitating to ask doctor earlier..
    Now also I'm feeling exhausted, irritable and weak most of the time..though I'm regularly taking medicine.
    Anyone knows pls reply.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

My husband has hypo ( Hashimoto) based on what I have learnt, I am gonna answer your question. I am not a medical professional, I also urge you to talk to an endocrinologist to get an accurate answer.
    Yes. It's hard to lose weight with hypothyroidism. My husband does low carb diet. It has helped him to lose weight. He has lost around 30 lbs in a year and a half.

NO. My husband's thyroid is normal but he has Hashimoto, he cant go without medication. Even though his thyroid id normal, he has to work out and do low carb to maintain his weight.

Hmm, First find out if you have Hashimoto hypothyroidism. If its Hashimoto, I think you are on the medication even though your levels are normal.

between 0.5 to 2.5 mU/L.

Almost every 3 months once, however, my husband get it done once in 6 months.

You should tell your doctor everything including irritability, weak & exhausted and dont think these are silly questions.

Sometimes medications get altered several times until you find the right medication right for you.So, dont think you are troubling the doctor or somehow feel silly. Its your health, you should do whatever it takes to get your questions answered.

Goodluck

SunPa and Needtobestrong like this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, Blindpup10 has answered your questions well. Here is my input based on my experience.
    From what you have written I feel you should consult endocrinologist at least every six months . 25 mcg May not be enough . Also make sure you don't have hashimoto. If that is the case you may have to take it life long.

Weight gain/ swollen look is one of the side effect of hypothyroidism but not all person experience it. I look perfectly fine with hypo thyroid with hashimoto. May be on the slimmer side.
    I came to know about hypo just before my first pregnancy during routine check up. TSH was close to 4.5. Normally TSH above 5 is usually considered hypo.But endocrinologist here in Usa consider TSH below 1 as ok. I didnt have hashimoto that time . Reason for hypo was viral infection resulting in inflammation of nodules. I took medicine during pregnancy and stopped fully after 1 year as TSH became <1 . I could see the change in inflammation from ultrasound every six months during that period.

I didnt have any hypothyroidism during second pregnancy. But one year back I felt really weak . Blood work revealed TSH close to 3 but with hashimoto. So on medication now.

The amount medicine vary from case to case. First time I took 25mcg. Now on 88 mcg

Recent studies revealed a link between autoimmune case like hashimoto to vitamin D deficiency .My blood work revealed critically low Vitamine D. So I am on both thyroid medication plus Vitamine D (last few months). I am still on observation with visits every three -six months . So anyone with hashimoto should check vitamin D issue

Common Thyroid Problems Linked to This Ultra-Important Vitamin

But I dont have any weight gain.
    Op, taking care of the baby will also make you weak. So give some time to loose weight . Thyroid can create lot of issues like those you mentioned.It also affect our emotional health. It can make one angry irritated etc.. please consult an endocrinologist to find out any isse associated with your thyroid. Feel free to ask them any concerns you have.
    Take care.
    ( I am not a medical doctor, just shared my story as a patient)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    blindpup10 and Needtobestrong like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

5. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

I have Hashimoto and I was prescribed 125 mcg. After I changed my lifestyle like celery juice on empty stomach, remove dairy and sugar from my diet, my thyroid level is improved. still I am taking 112 mcg. Keep good routine like more than 8 hours sleep if possible, no junk food, lots of fresh green veggies like spinach, kale, fresh fruits for snacks, moderate exercise, yoga, meditation everything helps. Good luck and take care.

Needtobestrong likes this.