Festival Of Sharing

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by venlax, Oct 17, 2017.

1. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

I very much like the Deepavali festival as it is not a religious one but a social one. In north the home is enlightened with lights which symbolizes the removal all negative forces & filling the home with all positive vibrations.
    Sharing is an important aspect. We buy new clothes not only for family members but also to people who help us in our domestic/professional cores.We bestow gifts to dear & near ones.My grandfather till his lifetime used to send money to my mother for Deepavali & Pongal. The happiness of the recipient goes beyond everything.The sweets & savories are also shared with all.The planning of the various items & the preliminaries for that starts a week earlier. Now i read about fusion sweets in one daily.As most people are going abroad & their taste buds don't like to try only the traditional,the caterers are introducing the fusion of traditional taste of sweets with the western ingredients & presenting as Fusion sweets.The health sweets started playing a major role. Sweets prepared with Jaggery & savories with the siru danyam like Thinai , Samai ,Varagu rices.
    I pray to Goddess Kamakshi & Lakshmi that They may shower Richest Blessings of Health & happiness ,Peace & prosperity to one & all !
    Wish u all A Happy Deepavali !
    At the same time let us all remember & pray for the less privileged poor,sick,grief stricken brothers & sisters,who may not be able to participate in this Happy Eve.

"The woods are lovely ,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@venlax, you have given the spirit of Diwali in a few words. Yes, it is a festival that brings a lot of joy and social bonhomie among people. Wishing you and all in IL a very happy Diwali

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello::hello:The festival idea was originally designed for remembering the demon Naragasuran who had asked for a boon in which all people once in a year should think of him and God too; but as centuries went by, it has become festival for traders, textile magnates, fashion models, roaring business for advertisers etc. people's thinking dominates with purse, luxury, extravaganza eats, worshipping money through stock market etc., the impoverished remain indigent, rich gets enriched and seldom 'haves' think sincerely of 'have-nots'. while a small percentage of time, some think of goddess Lakshmi. but that is the way of life. It is highly sceptical that Naragasuran desired all people should have oil bath just before dawn irrespective of the geography that you are in or he wanted people to fire crackers polluting the surrounding air we breathe.
    wish you happy Deepavali. thanks and regards.

4. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

I think it is only an illusion. Most of the people who do charities in the right spirit will never advertise.On the other hand the various eye catching ads & the sales data published to attract more clients is apparently visible or known thro various media.Hence the first aspect becomes unknown to us & we think people spend for their own luxuries.Here also there are many advantages. One due to increase in sales, workers get more incentive & feel happy to work in prosperous organisations.It generates employment also.If i am prosperous & fit ,then only i can think of others.So nothing harm in buying things but there should be some limit.In whatever way possible people are doing charities in their own way not only during festivals but also on normal times.
    According to the geography only people take oil bath , i think .Before dawn in their particular region/place of residence they take bath.We can't ban firing crackers altogether. Alternatives should be thought of to avoid causing pollution or inconvenience to sick/elders.
    " The woods are lovely,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before is sleep"

Thyagarajan likes this.