1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fengshui and Moi...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

“No, I do not believe in Fengshui. Imagine, I had not heard of this word until I came to KL, just like I had not heard of Vaasthu until we came to Karnataka “ is what I generally say when the topic of Fengshui or Vaasthu comes up in one of the many casual conversations that I have with people in general.

“You are better off by not getting into all this. There is no stopping afterwards. You will soon suggest breaking open a wall or changing the direction of a toilet which are both just crazy (his favorite word when he knows that he cannot convince me otherwise) and not at all feasible. Not to mention that such concepts do not have any scientific basis” warns my skeptical-about-many-a-thing hubby.

But as you all know, an idle mind is always a devil’s workshop, and the Internet is the ideal tool for an idle mind. So I read and watch anything that catches my fancy and that’s how I landed up watching Fengshui tips for a better life and home by the master Lilian Too. She is a jolly good presenter and her typical Chinese accent made it quite interesting. After that the conversation at my place went more or less along these lines.

Me: “Please keep the toilet door shut and the toilet seat down always otherwise negative energy spreads all over the house”.
    He: (laughingly) “See, that’s why I don’t like you reading all this rubbish. Anyway no harm in this particular practice I suppose”.

Me: “You are very lucky mister (emphasis on the word to drive home the point) that I always keep the house clean. No clutter in our house. The air moves freely and so does the positive energy”.
    He: “And so do important documents …move freely to the bin, I mean”.

Me: (ignoring that jibe) “Yesterday I went out with E to central market and couldn’t resist buying the three wise men from the Fengshui shop. It seems they grant family harmony, wealth and longevity”.
    He: What? Why do you need THREE men for that? And hasn’t your ONE man been giving you all these for the last so many years?”

Me: (now totally warming up to the subject) “And I am changing the show pieces from the north east to south west. See, all these things in two are a couple. They must be kept in this corner and the laughing Budha goes here, facing the entrance.”
    He: “Are you sure we don’t have to sit as a couple in that corner too?”

Me: (by now, I was in a totally different world where the positions of our possessions and their directions are of the utmost concern to me so I am desperately trying to recollect all that I had read and did not want my poor head to be muddled by anything he says to the contrary) “Please help me hang this wooden wind chime here and the metallic one near the balcony.”
    He: “Surely no, do you want me to bang my head against that every time I pass?”

Me: “See and that is the family corner. I will put our family pictures there, the mirror facing the Dining table, the “eye” here and….”

He had already left leaving me with no visible audience… I was talking to myself.:hide:

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Mindi dear good post. Whether anything good happens or not sometimes we follow what others say. I feel whatever has to happen will happen because it is already decided by God. Might be instead of something very bad happening it will be a little less. Hope you understood what I meant. At present my time is very bad so only hoping for the best to happen

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hahahaha Mindi. Your attempts at fengshui surely brought cheer to my day. I am sitting in the South-West corner of my room (alone mind you - the other half is missing as usual) and strange sounds started issuing forth from this lonely specimen (fat woman) in the South west as she read your snippet. Needless to say, there were some strange looks and giggling from the northern quarters which at that moment housed maid and cookie who were amused at these sounds. So you see, a lot of positivity was spread by your feng shui. :-D Q.E.D.

3 people like this.
  4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dearest Mindi,

:rotfl:rotfl what a post to start the day..

I could not stop giggling at the 'important documents and one Man part'
    Important documents will be definitely the victim in the pursuit of cleanliness.

I totally agree with you Mindi:biglaugh:biglaugh

Have a good time with fengshui:cheers

5. Sanguineme

Sanguineme Silver IL'ite

Good one. I have also done all those things.........You have narrated them well.............

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear dear Mindi Habibi...:rotfl:rotfl
    What have you brought back from shanghai...Fengshui????
    Poor you no one to listen to your tit bit not even K:bonk don't worry we are there for you:)
    What got into you Mindi...hehehe
    Mindi but they say we shouldn't buy those 3 men it should be gifted by someone it brings more luck..hehe
    I read this someway long time back..
    I know some of them becoz of this vaasthu they break the newly build house to and redo it again...and I have seen even after that there is no peace of mind in they homes.
    It is the people in the house who can spread the postive energy around not these unmaterialistic things my dear.
    But enjoyed reading your post. Even the family corner:)

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Internet is a mixture of grain and chaff. As far as I am concerned Feng Shui and Vaastu fall into the chaff catagory. These guys can make you do absurd things to make a fast buck.

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mindi
    I have this eternal confusion between Fengshui and Kungfu. So when I saw the title, I assumed that you had joined some Shaolin outfit to learn Kungfu and that you were eager to share your initial experience. I imagined you in a T shape with one leg and your torso parallel to the ground delicately balanced on the other leg kept vertically. You were letting out a wild shriek freezing K into a startled statue. I jumped to your thread without much ado to learn more about it in the words of K only to find that I had committed a faux pas again. So this is about Fengshui which does not involve any blood curdling noises or T shapes. I must remember this clearly.

I had written several times in my ramblings on my early life in Triplicane in Chennai where bathrooms generally had no doors and our presence inside would be known through some loud singing or chanting of Vishnu Sahasranamam. Toilets had no seats either to keep up or down. In retrospect, I feel that such noble pursuits as singing or chanting of mantras kept all the negative energy away and we emerged out of the bathroom with a lot of 'tejas'!

One of the greatest effects of Fengshui, I am told, is that its followers develop a tendency to start talking to themselves. Thank you for reaffirming it!
    Sri

13 people like this.
  9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

hehe! I am not sure to what I should be laughing at - your post or Sri uncle's comments!!! Hilarious, both are and bechari Mindi....parayunnathu kelkaan aarum illa :-(.

Keeping Aruna's advice into consideration, please handover those three men to somebody, requesting to gift them back to you. It then becomes a gift na!! Then you can use the men as you please!

1 person likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear dear Mindi
    Oh how I was laughing away. Your BH really has a wonderful sense of humor!
    i loved the, " Why do you need THREE men for that? And hasn’t your ONE man been giving you all these for the last so many years?"

I can imagine you changing the set up of your house constantly, hahaha!

Oh by the way have you made a hole in the ceiling...to make it easy for all the wealth to pour in of course! :)

Thanks a ton for this very hilarious write up.
    Already I am glad it is Friday; your post made it an even better day already!

Oh, do tell me how do I enter your home when I visit, facing North, south, East or West? :)!

2 people like this.