1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Feng Shui & Vaastu

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by lakshmisuresh12, Sep 23, 2005.

1. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

vaastu

hi neha
    i want to know something from u
    u said that cooking platform shd b in the eastern wall and exhaust fan shd b in the north west or south wall.
    my question is these days there is fashion of chimneys n it shd b right above the cooking gas that is it shd b in the eastern side if we make cooking platform to east side.
    so tell me can we do this.
    and if we do not follow some rules then what
    i mean how much percentage is neccesary to follow.
    i will b grateful if u can solve my queries.
    bye n thanx
    sonia

2. smithabose

smithabose New IL'ite

does this vaastu really work?

In the western world, people there believe in working hard.
    There house, kitchen bedroom every room faces every direction, yet these people are so healthy, live longer than us Indians. have more money to spend and live their life to full. It is the same even in middleeastern countries.

Hasn't God made all this world? whether it is south or North. East or West.

Is there any scientific reasoning to all this. could you please explain?

thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Vaastu Principles

Hi Friends,

a lot has been discussed about vaastu in this site.
    I'm posting the basic principles - as I found this so simple and easy in application; just to re-check if we missed out any points.

Happy Reading...........

Vaastu is termed as an ancient Indian Vedic science.

It is said that if moving, constructing or building to apply the principles of Vaastu there are less malefic or evil influences on ones life, family and property.

The Principles of Vaastu

From the Northeast the Divine Cosmic Energy enters the site. It rises and splits. Half flows toward the Southeast, and half flows towards the Northwest before rising and flowing on towards the Southwest.

The North East has a double positive flow and the Southwest a double negative. South of Southeast and West of Northwest are positive. North of Northwest and East of Southeast are negative.

The Northeast is meant as God's Place. Water is the element. Any time in nature there is water and light, there will be life. The energy of the Northeast is very light and brilliant.

Direction of Knowledge is the East, Southeast is the direction of Fire, South is the direction of Death, Southwest is the direction of Devils, West is Rain, and Northwest is the Windforce.

North, Northeast and East are in the positive field of the site.
    South, Southwest and West are in the negative field.

Therefore it is best to have a plot that faces North or East (particularly if seeking enlightenment) as you would want to open your door onto God's field, the directions of Wealth, Divinity, or Knowledge, rather than onto the negative field of Death, Devils, and Rain.

Water is the element of the Northeast. The Northeast must always be lower and more open than the Southwest. Swimming pools, ponds, valleys or wells should not be placed in the negative field as any hole or depression will increase the energy of a field. These things in the South or Southwest are not recommended at all. The natural flow of energy is disrupted, resulting in bringing suffering to the inhabitants.

The site becomes very rich in energy and the inhabitants experience great blessings, when the Northeast is lower and more open than the Southwest.
    Heavy objects lower the energy of a field and are to be in the negative field. A mountain or a hill in the Southwest can bring great fortune and good health. No energy will be able to enter the site if heavy objects are placed in the Northeast. However wells, pools, and other depressions are very good to have in the Northeast.

The Northeast corner of the house, both inside and out should be very open. Some mistakenly put alters or a religious statue in the Northeast corner as it is the "Place of God." It should be kept open.

It is advised to keep everything out of the Northeast corner of all the rooms, particularly the main Northeast corner of the house and yard.
    The bedroom should be in the Southwest. The Northwest quadrant would be the second choice. Southeast bedrooms can bring great irritability and insomnia. Northeast is not at all recommended.

Study rooms should be built East Facing. It is best to face east when studying. The kitchen should be in the Southeast. Northwest is the second choice.

In Vaastu, the concern is in how the structure of the building affects the natural energy field, not so much how the flow affects the inhabitants. Therefore one should try to build the structure according to the Vaastu Principles.

4. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Vaastu Shastra

Vaastu Shastra

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Vaastu Shastra a super science, evolved some 5000 years ago in India. Ancient in comparison to Chinese discipline of Feng Shui, which is 3500 - 4000 years old. Vaastu Shastra essentially deals with practice of architecture and building / construction science, but it touches every facet of life on this ea[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]rth and the universe. The ever-present link between man and the cosmos is the basic theme of Vaastu Shastra. Vaastu Shastra principles provide guidance for making optimum use of cosmic energy to achieve cosmic harmony. Pyramids, mirrors, bells, gems, precious stones, metals, colours, yantras, trees, flowers serve as catalysts in reestablishing the connection between man and the divine energy. With all its sublime and mysterious ways, the basic parameters used in vaastu shastra compliant designs are: geomagnetic flux, solar energy, sound energy, and water sources. vaastu Shastra, the ancient science of structure is popularly believed to promise prosperity. It is actually is a matter of faith. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vaastu is a complete understanding of direction, geography, topography, environment and physics. It is a study that dictates the form size and orientation of a building, in relation to the plot, soil, surroundings and the personality of the owner / dweller. There is no room for rituals and superstitions. Concepts like harmony, balance, rhythm, form, shape, proportions, functional utility, efficiency and beauty are valid in European architecture as well as vaastu shastra. But, inspirations differ. vaastu shastra designs dwellings beneficial to body and mind of the dweller. Modern architecture forgets the inherent psychological needs like peace and tranquility of human beings in pursuit of illusive economy, lifestyle, function, and work efficiency.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    In vaastu shastra, shapes like square and rectangle indicate safety, competences, and stability. Triangular and round shapes popular in modern architecture are strictly avoided in vaastu shastra. Modern architecture is yet to assimilate the smooth balance between symmetry and asymmetry evident in structures designed as per vaastu shastra principles. Vaastu orientates, places and dictates the proportions of every detail as in building lines, skylines, elongations, levels, slopes, water tanks (underground and overhead), kitchen, bedrooms, toilets, staircase, heights of ceilings and roofs, entrances and loci of doors and windows, compound walls and so on. Architectural science and equipment have undergone a sea change over the years. However, the principles of Vaastu, although modified to suit the modern times, still remain applicable.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thus vaastu shastra is a science, which teaches about the construction of various buildings. By following the principles of vaastu shastra one can prosper in many ways. vaastu Shastra is based on ten directions and one God rules each direction. The good and bad aspects of that particular direction are thus predicted by their position. According to Science, vaastu shastra shows how a man can prosper by taking advantage of the magnetic poles of the earth.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Applying vaastu shastra while constructing your house is not that simple. Lot of things has to be taken into consideration like placement of living room, bedroom, kitchen, puja room, balcony etc and if one meticulously applies and follows the principles of Vaastu then satisfactory results can be attained.[/font]

Important points

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Site and Building Plan
    The building should be built leaving open space on all sides. More open space should be left in North side of the plot and less space in the south. Similarly more open space should be left in the East than West side of the plot. The building height should be more on the South and West side. The height or level of the building should be less in Northern and Eastern side.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hall
    It is always advisable to have the hall on the north or east side of the house. This placement of hall allows positive energy to flow in the house, resulting in peace of mind and steady growth, especially for the younger generation. If the hall I not properly placed then there will be mental tension and agony among family members and growth will be uneven.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Doors and windows
    As far as possible doors and all window openings should be placed towards north and east. Openings towards west and south should be avoided. The number of doors or windows should be even and not odd. However if your door is on the south side then what you can do is place your door in the southeast corner. One can also have the main door on the northwest side if the main door is in the west of the house. The house will then get the benefit of a good income source, wealth and prosperity. If the main door is not properly placed it can, according to vaastu, result in a lack of opportunity, continuous burden in business/career and sickness in the family.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kitchen
    Kitchen should be located in Southeast or Northwest zone with the cook facing East or west. If you have heat in the southeast or northwest, it will create the balance between negative and positive energy flow. The right location of kitchen will not only bring happiness, popularity but also will ensure good health. Wrong kitchen placements create problems like continuous struggle; loss in business and money loss and it also affects the health of the women in the house.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bedroom
    The Southwest room should be the master bedroom. However if you cannot have the bedroom in the southwest corner, then one can either sleep in the south part or the west part of the house and get benefit of the energy field. The right location of your bedroom or sleeping place will give you a peaceful night sleep and thus give you lot of positive energy.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Puja room, balcony and verandah and bathroom
    Northeast room should be pooja room. Balconies should be towards East or North. Verandahs should be towards East or North. No Verandahs should be built in the West or South side of the house. Bathroom normally preferred in East, where it is not convenient, South East or Northwest may be recommended.

[/font]

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

A word of caution

Hai everyone,
    i saw this thread only today as I am not much interested in these things.Actually I was very religious, my family have dieties for which my father used to do pooja daily. My mother used to be very religious, followed lots of customs and believes and acharams. From the time I can remember, we were having harships for one thing or other. We have had lots of very bitter experiences and gone through many troubles and still are doing so. Nothing seems to get solved. The problems go on like mega serials. If our family story is to be serialised, it will beat all the other serials, I am sure of that.
    After marriage also, the same prevailed. My inlaws and husband are pious people. They were always very rude to everyone, very blunt sometimes, without thinking of others' feelings. They all live very well, happy and peaceful. I am only having many health related problems - new ones each year for each member.
    Then I stopped practising all the usual things- raagu kalam, yamagandam, auspicious day, thithi etc. I go to various outings or tours according to the convenience holidays of hubby and son.As long as I keep to this, I have no problem. When we were coming from Cochin to Chennai, we waited for 5 minutes for ragu kalam to be over to catch train. We got stuck in a bylane because of a procession. We carried all the luggage and ran to the station thro crowd as the train was pulling into the station. Finding the compartment and alighting was over and the train just started. If we had started at the usual time, we would have come in time. This is one example.
    Some important poojas I am still getting done at temples in Kerala for my son's health have only proved successful for me.
    And I have seen that some people do odd contruction in the name of Vaasthu. My bil had built their Pooja room just across the servant's toilet- at the end of the house and adjusant to the service area. All because of Vaasthu. Now they both are living in a vast house- ground floor 1200 sq.ft and first floor 2000 sq. ft.- alone. Thie son is abroad with family and they have not found suitable tenents for ground floor for the past 3 years.
    I have one request to make to all the member- I respect your beliefs. But be assertive and follow the practices of your family. New things good can be included but be careful. Some people can't do anything without the consent of the astrologer or some guide. This kind of dependance makes one lose self confidence. Believe in God and work hard. You will get the results. If not, think that you have not worked harder. This way you can always keep yourself optimistic.
    PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I DO NOT WANT TO HURT ANYBODY'S FEELINGS. JUST SHARING SOME THOUGHTS.
    varloo

6. padmaravi

padmaravi New IL'ite

Hello all.,

Its nice to read the views abt feng shui and vaasthu.., (both good and bad views).,

I have also read many articles on feng shui and vaasthu..,

I wud like to add some views of mine.,

There had been lots of mentions abt laughing buddha,dragons,wind chimes,frogs etc..,
    But there is one very important thing abt this.,
    ie.,all those things mentioned in the Feng shui for the betterment of the family should be recieved as gifts.., like someone should gift the feng shui items to us.., that only will bring good luck.,
    It is not advisable to buy the things for us..,
    those items which haven been gifted will have more luck and the positive chi(energy) into the house.,

So try to gift ur loved ones with the feng shui items..,
    they of course bring luck..,

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i beg to differ ashna,
    north and north east is very very auspicious for gods and the one who eats facing north is to become a bhogi.....we sleep with head in the south is due to the south pole and the dead body is also kept with the head towards south..as it represent yama...the magnetic field r there.....and regarding the circulation of blood if u sleep with ur head toward west u will find headache in the morning as the enery instead of going from head to toe is going other wise like the earth which is moving towards the east side.....so sleeping with east or south facing is good for the body....regards sunkan

8. PARVATHY

PARVATHY New IL'ite

Feng shui

Hi everyone,

Can anybody tell me where is the right location for pooja room.
    Now my pooja room in n/w facing n/e. My friend told me when we
    pray hv to face north east .

Thanks.

9. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Re: Vastu Shastra

I am much more intersted in knowing about vasthu. Shall you give me a tip that we are having our attached toilet inour bedroom at the southwest corner. People saying it is very bad. How to move it and where?
    Then I am at Chennai and where are you? How to contact you?:hatsoff:hatsoff

10. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi Viji!

I c that u have'nt got an answer to ur question, rearding the vaasthu of ur house.
    I am a Feng Shui Enthusiast, and if u do believe in FS, I could give u some 'cures' for ur S/W toilet.