1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Feng Shui & Vaastu

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by lakshmisuresh12, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Angeli

Angeli New IL'ite

Ways to escape negative waves

Dear all,
    I am surrounded by all kinds of people in office, some of whom, unfortunately preach negative thoughts. Since they are my colleagues and it will be very difficult to avoid interactions, I was thinking if there can be some kind of "stones" or anything else which I can keep at office to escape these negative waves.
    Any suggestions most welcome
    Kind regards
    Angeli

2. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

Vastu shastra and Feng shui

Vastu shastra refers to the ‘indian art of placement’. Vastu in Sanskrit means house or dwelling that is in harmony with nature. Vastru sastra is an ancient Indian science and art that encompasses principles and practices of constructing houses in a manner so as to bring about a harmonious balance between man and his nature. Such a harmony would ensure all-round good health, well-being and prosperity. As with many an ancient culture, Indians divide the primaeval elements into 5 –. Earth (Prithvi), Air (Vayu), Fire (Agni), Water (Jal) and Atmosphere (Akash). The belief is that the space condenses into air, which in turn gives birth to fire. Fire transmutes into water and the final transformation of water is the Earth. The Earth is the culmination of the process of genesis.

Vastu shastra is of the belief that your home should be designed in a manner such that positive forces override negative forces, which leads to a positive cosmic field that infuses residents with contentment and prosperity. The principles of Vastu when applied can guide you to create a positive atmosphere in your house. The belief is that the nine planets influence everything on Earth and each of these planets guards a direction. As a result, our homes are influenced by the nine planets and five elements.
    A vastu home has to be aligned with the cardinal directions thereby reflecting the Vedic concept of the universe. Don’t place disturbing works of art such as those depicting war and misery as they may bring about negative energy. The bedroom is best placed in the Southwest of the house. The bed should be placed in middle of the room or southwest corner of the room. Beds should not touch Northern or Eastern walls. The best location for the kitchen is the southeast corner of the house.

The Brahmastan occupies pride of place in any house designed according to the principles of Vastu. This is the central courtyard and is the energy center of the house. It is best left open to the sky if possible. This allows energetic space surrounding the Earth into the house. Since the basic tenet of Vastu sastra is that space has a powerful impact on us, we must connect the spaces to have a positive effect on us. Different spaces have varied effects on us – gardens, crowded railway platforms, beaches.

Vastu tips
    • Sleep with your head towards east or south.
    • Attend to creaking doors and windows.
    • Jugs of water should not be placed near the telephone or computer as the electric rays affect the water.
    • Face the east when cooking.
    • Use separate towels for each member of the house.
    • Viewing the sun in the mornings is considered beneficial.
    A bone of contention between the two ancient philosophies ie Vastu sastra and Feng shui is the importance of the northeast sector. In Vastu, it is regarded as an auspicious spot whereas Feng shui regards it as the gateway for imps and devils. Though China and India are geographically contiguous regions, there are crucial environmental and cultural differences. These differences are bound to be manifested in the two systems of placement.

Both these ancient sciences agree that an impressive door can add to the prestige of the resident. But doors that squeak or groan or get stuck are considered harbingers of bad luck. Either school of thought does not recommend sitting with your back towards the door. This is practical even in modern day offices since it keeps you from being startled or surprised and thus disrupting smoothly flowing work energy. Both systems look on plants favorably. While Vastu principles do not look favorably at sap-exuding trees, Feng shui regards thorny and prickly plants as negative chi. Both systems advocate a housewarming or groundbreaking ceremony to commence construction or before moving in. Vastu shastra has survived for a long time and has transformed itself from an architectural guide for temples and palaces to individual houses too.

3. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

Like to know more

Dear Neha,

I would surely like to know more abt vaasthu shastra. We are planning to purchase a flat. What i want to know is , do we have to take into consideration the vaasthu of the building ( face of building, shape of the compound of the building) or just the flat which we intend to purchase.

Please let me know.

Prema

4. Neha Mullick

Neha Mullick New IL'ite

Vastu Shastra

Hi Prema,
    Wish you a very Happy Diwali first...
    I just read your mail. My husband works for infosys and we are currently staying in Melbourne. We are based out of Hyderabad only. I am working as an arch in Melbourne.
    It is always better to consider Vastu right from buying the plot rather than going for rectification later. I have some backlog in the off at present so shall reply to your query by the end of this week.
    I am not asking you to get handicapped by Vastu but just find a middle way.

We are coming to Hyderabad on 21st Dec for a visit. so can discuss things in India also.

Cheers
    Neha

5. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot Neha...... I would be waiting for your reply over the weekend.

Takecare
    Prema

6. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

Doubtful?

Hi Ashna,

Thanks for the message about Vastu and the tips you had posted.

I am only doubtful of sleeing with head towards the east. Because in Hinduism there is a belief that the Supreme power arises in the east direction (because of Lord Suryan) and they say no lying towards or away from the east direction.

In fact, there is a belief that in the homes the pictures of God(s) & Goddess(s) should be placed in the east facing the direction of the west, so that when we pray we face the east.

I'm only posting what I have come across but I'm not sure which is right.

Bye,

Malar

7. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

Vastu Tips

Hi Malar,

Its true that in our homes the pictures of God(s) & Goddess(s) should be placed in the east facing the direction of the west, so that when we pray we face the east. Its most auspicious direction with Sun and moon rise too. So if we sleep in east it gives us natural energy thats considered to be very good for us.

The only direction that has been barred both religiously and scientifically is North. As by sleeping in north we face towards direction of Yam...so dead bodies are placed like that. Scientifically too because of polar effect it makes our blood circulation go other way round so cause of many body disorders.

Take care,
    Ashna

8. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

Quick Decorating Tips-Feng shui

Elements:
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Pay close attention to your lucky and unlucky elements when you are decorating. Use unlucky elements sparingly. For example, if your element is METAL, use red sparingly because red represents FIRE, and FIRE is destructive to METAL. Use your lucky elements generously, but unlucky elements sparingly, if at all.[/font]

WATER - Lucky: things made of or representing water, blue, black; things made of metal, white, gold, silver. Unlucky: things made of earth, yellow, beige, stone, clay, crystal, gemstones.
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]METAL - Lucky: things made of metal, white, gold, silver; things made of earth, yellow, beige, stone, clay, crystal, gemstones. Unlucky: things made of fire, bright light, candles, red.[/font]
    EARTH - Lucky: things made of earth, yellow, beige, stone, clay, crystal, gemstones; things made of fire, bright light, candles, red. Unlucky: things made of wood, green, brown, plants.
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]FIRE - Lucky: things made of fire, bright light, candles, red; things made of wood, green, brown, plants. Unlucky: things made of or representing water, blue, black.[/font]
    WOOD - Lucky: things made of wood, green, brown, plants; things made of or representing water, blue, black. Unlucky: things made of metal, white, gold, silver.

Flowers:
    Flowers are very useful in your relationships area, especially roses and peonies. Flowers also enhance your harmony and health areas. If using fresh-cut flowers, be sure to dispose of them as soon as they die. Dead flowers bring negative energy. Silk flowers work well because they never die, and continue to bring good energy without pause.
    Plants are especially great for your health area. The best type of plants to use are ones with healthy, green, rounded leaves. Be careful if your element is earth, though, because plants (which are wood elements) are not very lucky for you, and too many of them may bring you bad luck.

Mirrors:
    It is said never to have a mirror in your bedroom -- and especially not in a place where you can see yourself while you are in bed -- this represents a third person in your relationship, or an affair.
    Mirrors can be used in positive ways. If you sit at your desk with the door behind you (which is not a good idea), place a mirror where you can see the door -- thus, seeing who enters.
    Mirrors can be placed on walls in your unlucky areas to reflect (or catch) the good luck from the opposite wall. For example, if you unlucky wall is directly across from a lucky wall, place the mirror on the unlucky wall, and it will reflect the luck on the opposite side of the room -- thus enlarging your lucky areas in the room.

Windchimes:
    Windchimes are excellent for moving the energy around in a room. They enhance good luck areas, and repel bad luck from unlucky areas. If your element is water or metal, use metal windchimes. If your element is wood, use bamboo windchimes. If your element is something other than water, metal or wood, use either metal or wood windchimes.
    Windchimes increase good chi in two ways: sound and movement, so they are very good to use in any area of the room.

Animals:
    Many animals bring good. A tortoise, for example, is the symbol for long life. A frog placed near your entry is said to bring wealth into your door. However, if the frog's mouth is open, it will swallow all the wealth before you see it. Bears provide protection, as do tigers and dragons. Rabbits and bats symbolize good health. A small grouping of horses are said to bring you luck in the area of writing or business. Unicorns are especially lucky for relationships, as are pairs of birds (doves, love birds, peacocks, cranes). Elephants are lucky for wisdom and intelligence.

Fountains:
    Fountains have become very popular, and if used correctly, prove beneficial. If used incorrectly, can cause too much activity or chaos. Water movement will create activity and lots of it, so use a fountain where you want a big increase in activity. Do not use fountains or water of any kind in the bedroom as it may prohibit you from getting a good night's sleep. You may be restless, tossing and turning all night.
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]If you need an increase in activity in your career or job duties, use a fountain in the career area of your office, or the career area in your home (as long as not in bedroom). If you become overwhelmed with activity or projects, turn off the fountain for a while. Avoid pictures of turbulent waters, as it could bring chaos and disharmony.[/font]
    If you like pictures of water, a gentle brook will give more peaceful energy than a scene of huge crashing waves. Try to think of the symbolism when choosing water pictures -- calm waters bring calm activity; turbulent waters can bring chaos.

Other:
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Place a globe or map in your career area to help you become focused on your work. Globes are also great for students who are having difficulty in school because it will help with concentration.[/font]
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Coins placed in a small dish in your career/prosperity area will help increase your wealth, especially when placed on a red cloth or tied with a red cord (Chinese coins).[/font]
    [font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Fish aquariums are wonderful for business. You will see a lot of fish aquariums in Chinese restaurants, and the purpose is to cause a lot of customer activity.[/font]

9. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

Any Ideas....

Hi..... Can anyone help me on what should be done to enhance professional growth in terms of Vaasthu / Fengshui way?

Rgds,
    Prema

10. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

feng shui

hi sree n all
    i want to know something rg this.
    when we enter in the room .the left sided wall is having 2 corners the upper one n lower one which one we shd consider.
    is there any special place like corner or wall for hanging elephant's statue or picture.
    can any body help.
    thanx n rgds
    sonia

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005