1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling Very Resentful...

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by NeerjaC, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

OP, I have been thinking about this yesterday.
    I was a SAHM for 3 years.
    When we newly moved to Australia, DS was 2 and one day we (DH and I ) decided that I would not go to work until DS is 5. That way kids get some attention and help to settle in the new country.
    This was in 2013 june.
    My routine was to get up - make tea/coffee and some breakfast for DH, while he is getitng ready, wake the kids up get them dressed, feed them breakfast, walk to school and leave DD there, come home give a bath to DS , do the laundry, vacuum, sweep , mop, prepare lunch, feed DS, feed myself, by then it was DS nap time. Tuck him to sleep in the pram and go bring DD from school, shower DD and snack time - DS would be up, then home work, DH would be home, his tea and snacks, dinner preps.
    I was EXHAUSTED after a few months. I was angry that I am left with so much work while DH works only 8 hours.
    I used to regret my decision to have come to Australia leaving a great life in India. I had maids there. I had a great job there. I had family help there.

I then realized I was stuck in a routine and I very badly needed to break the routine.
    I decided to take things one day at a time.

I would only make Indian breakfast on weekends.
    Laundry is once (max twice a week)
    Whats for dinner is what was made for lunch
    Hot snacks will be made on Friday evening.
    Vacuum will be done daily but in the evening, when DH is watching the kids while they are playing.
    Mopping the floors alternate days.
    Kitchen will be clean if I am in the mood to clean.
    I went for walks with DS in the stroller. I enrolled in gym. I went to library - borrowed so many books - for me and kids.
    Slowly I saw the change in me - I was less angry and less annoyed.

As @justanothergirl said, you need to break the routine and take it easy.

2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Found this online while reading something. Sent it to a very dear friend. Sharing it here too.

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-29 at 13.49.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-29 at 13.50.01.jpeg

SGBV and NeerjaC like this.
  3. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

@sbonigala This is exactly my routine right now and it's been going on for about a year and a half. The kids are still too young to help out but I try to get them to help out in chores as much as I can, sometimes its just easy to do things myself!
    I miss the independence I had when I was working, nowadays I just seem to be constantly tired and no one even seems to notice. No one cares if I'm tired or hungry or just plain fed up!!
    I've tried to change things recently. I have tried getting up earlier, 4 or 5 am if I can, this way I can at least get some time to myself to just sit and stare out the window or have a cup of coffee without being interrupted. It's nice when I can do it but sometimes I'm just too tired from the previous day to be able to wake up early everyday.
    Luckily I have made a friend in the same building I live in, she has a young child too and we have a similar background so it's been easy to make friends with her and now I'll just finish my chores as soon as I can and go visit her to have a chat.
    The advice I've been given here is absolutely spot on, I really do need to break out of the routine and do something for myself that doesn't involve kids and husband.

sbonigala likes this.
  4. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

@Laks09 I hear what you are saying but both the kids are under 5 and I feel like they are too young to be left with a babysitter, we've never used one before and I guess I'm a little apprehensive of entrusting my kids to a stranger. If it was an aunt or someone we knew, I would still have been OK with it but I think until they are a little older, I feel like leaving them with a stranger is something I'm simply not able to do. In the meantime, we'll have to figure out how to get some alone time at home itself. :blush:
    :blush:

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I think it is still possible to drop the youngest one too at the daycare, may be for few hours per week( these options are available depending on the daycare). That will give you a break and 'me time'

6. shri0218

shri0218 Silver IL'ite

So this was my life before sometime as well..but yes there are some major differences ..I don't have kids. And that's a big descision regarding the job front..so I had a great job back in India and I had to give up everything- friends, job family,my independence after I got married and came to the USA. Initially it was ok but then the monotomy of my life drove me crazy...plus I was terribly lonely (I don't live in a desi area) and this caused a lot of friction in my marriage ..no amount of hobbies and anything else helped..they were all temperory fixes..so I think based on your kind of mindset the best thing for you and your marriage would be you getting a job..I know it's not easy but once you start working the other stuff will fall in place.
    Even now I'm lonely but atleast I know I have to get up to do something else other than house work (no offense to SAHM - it's the toughest job! ) ..and it has improved my marriage ..

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My son is limited verbally. The first few times are hard but it gets better. I first found one when my son was 20 months old. Local highscooler. Summer is coming up and lots of high schoolers are on the lookout for babysitting jobs. Now since my DD is old enough to watch him and since she isn't working this summer, I'm going to have a reliable person at home watching him. All these years she was either too little or away at camp or other places so I had to rely on outside help.
    My good friend has a nanny cam at home. I haven't fitted one. I thought about it but I didn't do it. As my son gets older and still doesn't converse much I think I'm going to get one soon.

Even the gyms that have attached baby sitting facilities may help you. Most of my friends use that facility to work out while the kids are taken care of.

8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I had been a SAHM, and I can totally relate to your situation. I think the best way to improve your mood is by going out to workout, possibly at the gym. Try to find a gym that has childcare (most of them have it) and force yourself to go for a week, at least. Many gyms allow a free week pass, and let you try out their facilities. I've personally noticed that my mood improves when I join a class, like zumba or yoga, and have an opportunity to connect with other women. I have also taken my son to the trampoline park during the children's play time, so I get to jump with him. That also brightens up my mood.

Housework will always be there, so try to set a day, where you spend the day outside of the home and finish up leftovers (or eat out).

sindmani and Vaikuntha like this.
  9. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Don't worry..
    This is usual in every marriage.
    2 days back i was cooking, then my DDcalled for doing potty.. I asked Dh to looked after the curry. 10 min later what I saw was burnt curry I shouted at him for that. He said he did switch off the stove... I kept shouting..
    Later realized, I shouted because I hadn't my break fast. mood swings
    Go for blood test thyroid , it's taking toll.
    Relax

10. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I think many of us go thru this. We call it the slump period. Every marriage has this now n then. But it is 100% fixable as long as ur foundation is strong and there's love. We went thru during our 7th year. It was horrendous. V fought for every damn thing. If v think abt it now, it does luk very silly. But at that time it seemed really really bad. Key here, u both hav to talk to each other n say let's dedicate 100% to fix this n den start. Take a day off from work n go out wen d kids r at school. Go for a movie or a fair or mall or a game arcade n b silly. Don't talk abt any drama n relive how much fun u have together. After d kids go to sleep, set candles n hav dinner (u can even jus order pizza, it's ambience n d mood dat counts) and talk abt ur happy times, happy memories. Say I love u any chance u get. Send a sweet msg during the day wen he's at ofis. Send a note in his ofis bag. Littlest of things can make a lot of difference. One person maybe sweeter than d other, plz don compare who's doin more n start another fite. U r tryin to get out of a slump, so jus put in all the effort n dig urself out. The rest of the things will fall into place once ur relationship is fixed.