1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling very jealous and angry at the same time !!!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by anika987, Jan 29, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My younger sis-in-law's hubby worked hard and got into Harvard.I should be happy for him right?NOPE.why?

well..I know it is not nice of me to feel angry about it.

Reasons for anger are:

1) My haughty mom-in-law who is a huge show off will now keep boasting about it forever!!!

2) when i wanted to study a course one time,in laws had "please! you CANNOT do it.for sure!.you do not have it in you".i had felt hurt.

3) my sis-in-law is no lesser than mom-in-law.she will always praise her dh as the best of best 24/7..now it is going to be non-stop.

4) Afraid if my dh will be looked down.

Reasons for jealousy are:

1) now,when he graduates he will earn so much and they will super rich.
    2( my dh is not from harvard!! nor is he interested

I may sound very mean but please instead of judging me,understand my feelings from my side.they are surely not good or the right feelings but please understand that some women may feel this way too in my situation.not trying to justify but trying to save myself from being yelled at by my indus sisters for my meanness:)

how do i really feel happy about this situation because it is the right thing to do?

4 people like this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

The fear, jealousy and hard feelings usually comes out of insecurity. You may not know how insecure you are about yourself and your present life. It may be something like your inferiority about being less qualified or less richer than your in laws. It is not always the case with every normal person.

Needless to say how bad people my in laws were. Even then, I had no hard feelings about my BIL's education, salary raise or even the wealthy background of my co-sisters. Because I am one very strong woman, who has a very high value about myself. I never count myself any lesser than anyone. So, what others gain or loose seldom affect my mind.

It is true, sometimes we do feel bad about some extra positive news or luck of a mean person. But it never comes up this way as jealousy, fear or insecurity to post a thread like this.

Girl, you are a supper, sweet, excellent and nice woman of your own. No one can be compared with you, as everyone has their own unique life with their own set of ups and downs.

Your SIL may be proud about her DH, so what?
    I am also proud about my DH, and many others here including you are also the same. Take it that way.
    If she blabber something irritating or rudely, then take it easy. Tell her you are also happy, proud about her DH. More importantly, you are bit relieved because of the fact that her DH is supper rich or qualified. Because many women suffer because of their poor, vulnerable and needy SILs. Take it positively, and show it out. They will stop hurting you.

If they are supper rich, then what?
    You may be rich in something else... May be a good H, good kids, good health.. Think about it. Do not always compare.

I am following your other threads too. If I put it bluntly, I feel you are suffering from inferiority complex in general (not with SIL only). Please consider addressing this issue

12 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You can't force yourself to feel good if you don't really feel good about it.Just accept the reality so that you are prepared for what you fear.Also try to look at what all you have and you will realize you have enough to be happy yourself.

Make sure you act normal and don't show your jealousy ....as it may show you in bad light.Cheers girl....you have a long life ahead to achieve your wishes too.:cheers

2 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

true sbgv..

my inferiorty complex is because iam not very well qualified like most women these days.
    it is not coz i cannot hardwork or iam not even 1% intelligent.problem is i failed to udnerstand how important education is during school and college days.NOW IAM PAYING FOR IT BIG TIME!!

1) I see that women who are well educated but staying at home may suffer from the fact they are not earning but they DO NOT feel inferior about themselves.

2) though I have worked in my past,since i was in a low profile job my inlaws and relatives kept insulting me.

3)my inlaws keep telling me how i cannot do things and how i cannot come up in life;.it hurts coming from a family member.

4) i really regret the fact that i did not study well in younger days and that haunts me even now through relatives /society.they feel people who do not study well= stupid and untalented.lack of interest and distraction is different from being less talented.

5)inlaws always praise my co-sister,sister in law but wants to stay with me??? coz iam one "stupid,easy to wak over type"

1 person likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks yellow mango:)

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Learn to be not the stupid,easy to walk over type.You need to work on your confidence Op.just because you are not highly qualified or do not have a high paying job doesn't mean you can't be confident.Just work to be best at whatever you do.

If people try to walk over you....then make yourself unavailable for them.Let the awesome daughter and co-sister have them over and show them a good life.....your company should be conditional to how they make you feel .if they put you down...then you have a good excuse to avoid them. Get an attitude and tell them you don't want to be around negativity .Be around people who value you.

7 people like this.
  7. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

it is natural to have these feelings, just don't let it effect you so much. We all are given different roads to reach our potential. His is through Harvard. Don't give any importance to what your MIL and SIL say, since you already know their nature. Don't look down upon yourself, instead resolve to try harder and become a better person in everything, everyday of your life. If you are happy and satisfied, no one can undermine you.

1 person likes this.
  8. pari80

pari80 Silver IL'ite

Seems like you are measuring your life and happiness with money and how much better your life is compare to others ( in this case your SIL). Why?

Question you should ask yourself, r u happy with your current life? would you change anything from your married life.

Let me tell you one thing. Money is important in life but don't give it too much importance where you can't enjoy what you have. Appreciate what you have and you think something is missing , work hard to achieve that. Jealousy towards anyone won't get you anything.

Also, think about your DH positively.Look at his positive virtues rather than worrying about someone else's DH having higher degree/more money. You need change in attitutde.

Because tomorrow someone else you know may get bigger home/bigger car and you would start comparing your happiness with that. It seems like you think person on another side "most happy person" and doens't have any sorrow.. Don't think everyone has their sorrow in life and happiness in life. So live your happiness and be happy.

2 people like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

When I first read this essay by C.S. Lewis somewhere in my early teens, it made a deep impression on me. I never forgot it. Maybe it will help you.

OP, if you give it free rein, this feeling of envy never goes away. Inside the ring you are on, there is always another more exclusive one that you are outside of. I know tenured Harvard scientists / department heads who gaze wistfully at their Nobel laureate colleagues and right-place-right-time successes gnashing their teeth at True Genius. I've met Nobel laureates who dismiss multi-millionaire mover-shaker scientists with choice simian adjectives and successful scientists who try to steal glory that belongs to another. This never ends.

Think of the inside of your head as a democracy, with many contentious voices. There are good citizens and then there are the idiots. As it is anywhere else, the idiots are always louder. Just make sure they don't hijack the agenda.

Watch your thoughts dispassionately, but regulate your actions.

And lastly, if you have truly recognized the value of education, then get to work. Take a leaf from Zhang's book. He made his first contribution at 57.

PS: Make sure your BIL leaves some of those millions to scientific research. :rotfl

11 people like this.
  10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, you live in US right! Are there any obstacles to your pursuing higher studies now? Its a long road, but totally doable. Which field are you from? There is definitely no age limit for studying! A lady I know worked a pretty low profile job at a school in India and is studying law post retirement. Guess what, she topped her class!

Do you have your own interests/hobbies or friends that do not put you down? You should surround yourself with people who understand you and dont put you down.

IMO, all home makers especially those living in US, including the ones that are well qualified have a low opinion of themselves! Everyone in US works and when someone asks you why you are not working, they feel bad. Its hard to explain about visa issues ( Americans look at you as if you crossed the border illegally!).

Do your in-laws stay with you or in other part of US? Do you have a lot of relatives here in US?

3 people like this.