1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling Depressed With My Life. Need Suggestions Part 1

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by vinnu417, Sep 4, 2016.

1. vinnu417

vinnu417 New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

I'm not a woman but a married man for little over 3 years who has come here regularly for suggestions whenever I couldn't find a place where I could discuss my life issues.Currently, I'm in a stage of life where I feel deeply depressed and unhappy to a point where I feel like going recluse or a death a pleasant relief.Let me tell you where it all started. It may be long rant/post so please bear with me.
    I grew up in an strict environment where talking to girls or being friends with them was a strict NO. I used to be even scared bringing notebooks of girls to my home whenever I missed classes as my parents would interrogate me who that girl is(I guess you could imagine the environment). After growing up and while doing my masters in US, my heart would long for a girlfriend/lover/mate but I never took that path as I knew it would greatly displease my parents/family especially after I saw them after one of my cousins did a love marriage. Even though there were couple of instances where I liked someone or the girl I liked showed interest in me I would just suppress it.

When the time to get married had come, I went with the arranged marriage option. My profile got registered on couple of online matrimonial sites and my parents were also searching personally through our community members. I would say I was above average looking and got requests from couple of nice looking girls from both US and India. My family members did not say directly but kind of disagreed to it saying it would be better if we find someone whose family's social status is same as us. My parents are not college educated and we were kind of middle class to lower middle class family. They thought that if girl's family is highly educated or well-to-do than us, then there would problems in communicating and adjusting and there might be ego issues or things like that. So, I kind of adjusted on this too. Then, we met my wife's match and my parents were OK with their family. Though I did not like her instantly for her looks, I was inclined for below reasons:
    1. She looked like a simple girl. As she was not that great looking, I assumed that she would not have any affairs/boyfriends as deep down somewhere, I wanted to marry a girl who did not have any affairs/BF's.
    2.She was working in an IT company and I wanted someone who would work after marriage as I wanted to settle in US(I was upfront about it with her)

Our marriage was fixed. Before we got married, my wife said she did not have any BF's as her parents were strict. I was happy in a way after hearing this. But later I found(2 months after we got married) that she lied and she had a BF and she got married to me by her parents pressure. When I found out, she again lied to me that they were in limits and did not have any physical relationship. But couple of weeks later, I found this to be false and she accepted that they had physical relationship as I had proof. I also found that she was in touch with her BF all the time even after marriage through emails & chats. There was a time where she would chat with both of us at the same time in separate windows. She would act to be happy with me and then chat with her BF too. I was crushed and deeply disappointed(I wrote about this in a separate post in this forum) I wanted to break up with her but decided to stay in this marriage after considering all things like my parents health, my siblings marriage etc. I could never forgive her but I decided to be normal with her. Though feelings of hatred, anger, being cheated on would come up once in a while, I made sure I kept them to myself and never told this to anyone and life went on for 2 years.
    As I said before, I always wanted to settle in US and had dreams of a happily and fun filled married life. I had plans of when and where to go for vacations,when to buy house, kids etc but none of them seem to be happening. I was upfront of wanting a working wife. Even my wife said she wanted to work but looks like she lied on that too. It has been more than a year that she received her work permit but she is not showing interest in finding a job. Before marriage, she said she was working on certain technology but when we started searching for a job here, she said she did not work on it directly and her job involved only sending emails or some support job.Then she started training on a easier technology for which we spent money. Her training is complete but she shows very little interest or motivation in searching a job.I got in touch with companies where they search for jobs but she does not communicate with them regularly. We started having arguments on how careless she is and finally she told that she always wanted to be a house wife and not work after marriage. She was not planning on getting married to someone else other than her BF and that's why she lied to me. But as many people know, its tough to lead a comfortable life in US with single income. I look at my friends and other people in my circle where they got love marriage or married girls who were working here doing all the things that I dreamt of, buying houses etc and cannot help feeling depressed. Some of my friends did all sort of nasty things like going to strip bars, pros and when time to get married came acted as if they are nice guys and got married to nice looking girls from wealthy families and living a happy life. She says if we move back to India, we can manage a luxurious life with the money we saved and always talks about going back to India but does not talk about working here in US.
    I have adjusted in so many things hoping to feel satisfied in at least some things but I found failure even in those. I followed a right path and pleased everyone my whole life but all I got is betrayal and pain. I do not know if I'am a bad person or a selfish one or a person who does not appreciate what he has but this is how I feel.
    My wife does not groom or take care of herself. Initially I used to to look attractive for my wife but I lost interest after my wife's lack of interest. She has some issues with hormones(came to know about it after marriage) and has facial hair. Though I do not say anything to her, I expect that she take care of it.Am i being unreasonable here. I see in movies or hear that wife's get ready for their husbands by the time they come home but my wife has rarely done that. She is always in her PJ's and looks like as if she has just woken up. I used to help her with household chores assuming that she is not getting time but even if I help, she spends the time she gets on phone.
    Now, we came to know that we may have to spend good amount of money if we try to have kids as she has some health issues(Not impossible but will take time and money). I came to know that they knew about it before marriage itself but did not tell us. Am I wrog in feeling that this should have been told before

When I look at all these things, I feel like I have been dealt with bad hands continuously by God. Earlier I used to pray daily and even fast but now I have so much hatred for God that I have removed all idols, images from my house and stopped going to temples completely. I feel like I have been unlucky from childhood and feel like going away far from everyone and praying for death everyday.

I see people around me who have done things that are considered bad but ended up having all the good things in life and here I'am. No matter how much I try,I cannot get rid of these bad feelings. Should I see a shrink. I do not know if I'm a bad person, selfish or being unreasonable or ungrateful for complaining like this but this is how I feel. Thanks for reading this.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Do you still trust her? Is she still cheating?

Are you scared of your parents, society, etc.

Please leave this person.

There are stories of ladies who are faced with the same thing, end up getting divorced, then get happily married again. Society is much harsher on divorced ladies than divorced men.

Really, you deserve better instead of this nightmare. Leave her and let her go to her boyfriend. God will give you much much much better wife.

sindmani, PhoenixAwoken, dc24 and 2 others like this.
  3. vinnu417

vinnu417 New IL'ite

There is no part 2. Initially it did not allow me to post all content in singe thread. I thought it was because of long post and tried to post it in 2 threads. But then i realized it was because of invalid characters. I fixed it and posted in same thread.

4. vinnu417

vinnu417 New IL'ite

5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

If the shoe doesn't fit, why bother?

You can compromise on many things. Not with a cheater and liar.
    She does not have any moral values. Accept the facts and apply for legal separation.

6. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I believe it's Karma, actions from past life.

We need to work on ourselves.

I escaped abusive marriage.

IL advised me to join Toastmasters. It changes your perspective.

Also read classic leadership books.

I'm reading

How to Win Friends and Infkuence People

7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I listen to Joel Osteen Motivational Speeches.

Sometimes we have to move our feet and expect good things to happen before God will do anything.

Just work on yourself .... and get away from your wife ... let her boyfriend deal with her hairiness, LOL

Best wishes to you my friend.

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Purely taking into account the situation as given by you, it is surprising to see why ' leaving her' is not an option.
    Yes, you were a good son and went on to do things as required by your parents/society. But, having seen that all this has just landed you with a person who doesn't deserve any of your goodness, why hesitate to just make a clean cut? It is not your parents or society who is facing what you are dealing with.
    Please leave out all negative thoughts and attempt to start afresh with your wife - all the way - if she is willing to go along with you. If there is no change in her, the best option is to end the marriage. You will definitely be able to settle well later. All the best.

sindmani, cheenu123, dc24 and 2 others like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When you are depressed thing of things in these two perspectives - things you can control and things you have no control over. You have no control over what your wife did before marriage, what she continues to do now and what she will do in the future. You have control over what you did in the past, are doing now and can do in the future.
    Are you depressed because everything that's happening isn't what you want or you aren't able to control your life the way you planned it? Only you have the power to control your life and live it the way you want to the fullest. If you give that power over you to someone else, you will end up with a lot of regrets down the line.
    Yes, a real marriage is a partnership and a loving relationship is something that everyone should have in life but something that's above that is self respect. Can you respect yourself after doing this to yourself. The marriage you had no control over but whatever is happening now is something you can control. You should decide if you want to cast aside your self esteem and stay in this marriage for all the wrong reasons. I didn't see you mention love as one of the reasons you choose to stay. If you write a list and list things you want in a married life love, mutual respect, sharing, caring etc should come somewhere above house, money, vacations, US, life plan, etc which in turn should be above siblings marriage, parents trauma. You have your priorities all skewed, reverse the order in which you want things for yourself and then please do something about it.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you feel there is no scope for a meeting of minds with your wife, it may be best to go your separate ways. Especially since you do not have children. You seem to have lived your whole life trying to please others. Put yourself first. No one else is going to live your life for you. If you divorce people will gossip for a while and then move on to the next juicy story. So you are not permanently ruining any one's life if you decide to leave your marriage.

PhoenixAwoken, dc24, guesshoo and 2 others like this.
  10. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

You seem to be a good at heart and a genuine person.
    Please believe that Law of Karma is infallible. Please don't lose faith in God.
    Having said that....I strongly advice you to end this marriage as you have suffered enough. A lazy partner...a less educated partner can be tolerated but CHEATING PARTNER.....no ways.
    Opt for legal separation.
    Regarding your old parents...all i can say is that you've been a dutiful son all throughout. Moreover if your parents come to know about her...how she eas cheating you even after marriage...they would suggest the same.
    As far as your siblings are concerned...they will eventually get busy with their own careers n families.
    And it's possible that they may not think so much about your condition later on.
    Why do you worry so much about what people might think ?.....its your life...you have every right to think best for yourself. I'm sorry to say...but your wife is in no way a suitable one for you...
    As a well-standing..educated..decent person...yiu have very bright future regarding career and second marriage prospects...
    Please never pray for death...negativity...Imagine what will happen to your parents if you choose to end this beautiful life.
    This planet requires good human being like yourself... Please be optimistic...act smartly....Pray to God daily to taje you out of this emotional mess asap...

joylokhi likes this.