1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feel Like Dh Is Being Used

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cutepoojitha, Jun 11, 2017.

1. cutepoojitha

cutepoojitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    I need your suggestions after reading my post. I am married with a toddler, we are staying in USA. I am the elder daughter in law, we both are working professionals. My husband is completely a family oriented person he takes care of us very good. He supports in me in all the things he can , he helps me in house hold chores, he gives me freedom ,only problem with his is his short temper and he points mistakes in every thing i do, but we sort out together as i am very patient person things wont go adverse at all.
    Now here the issue my husband is very open minded and caring person, he calls his family daily once or twice and updates every thing whats going on in our life, i have absolutely no problem with it, but it is only my husband calls to his family or brother we never receive any call or message from them. My husband goes extra mile or miles some times to help his family but when any thing comes to him or us we are ignored.
    I can quote few examples here

1. If my inlaws go for a vacation he keeps track of where they are, he keeps calling them even they dont pick up the call , they wont bother us reply back they have safely reached though they have wifi and they are active users of watsapp. If we go for vacations same thing he keeps calling of our whereabouts we never receive a message or call.

2. My husbands brother if they visit us my husband takes off from work he takes them outings i cook hot breakfast lunches and dinners but when we visit them they either take off from work or we have food at their place. I agree i dont expect them to treat us as the way we treat them atleast i would expect 10% in return.

3. If his family is sick he calls takes care of them and ask about their health if my toddler is sick we never receive a single call. Again he calls and gives my toddler health updates.

4 . If his family visit our house we take care of them , i will be in kitchen,they just sit in sofa watch tv or play games .if i visit them same story i will be in "their" kitchen instead of "our" kitchen. I have no problem being in kitchen whole day if they are in my home , but if i am in their home i feel i will help in chopping veggies or doing dishes but instead i have to do every thing if i dont do they will eat out we have no option.

5. If his family visit us he takes them to shops and buys what ever they want , all their wishes are fulfilled, but if we visit them we have to struggle for our basic needs.

6. If his family needs financial support even if we are in a need he prefers to fullfill their needs. I agree as his family in need he has to help.but in return we neither have acknowledgement nor any time line for the financial returns.

7. If their is a small thing even though it dont impact their family he will inform them. If there is a big thing even if it impacts us we are not informed.

For example if we planned to go some where together,we have packed all the things but they already cancelled the plan they dont bother us to inform they cancelled their plan (if it is their personal trip they need not inform us i dont expect them to do so, but it is a trip where we going together it is basic courtesy to let us know) but even a minor thing my husband messages them.

My husband feels we are doing "our" work if we visit family, if they visit us ofcourse they r our family and guests we have to respect them this is the way i was brought up in my maternal home too.

What i feel i am okay if my husband is going extra miles, but some times i am tired of walking these extra miles with him, since i dont want to disturb our family i am maintaining peace inside i feel why is my husband taking so much pain even his brother dont respect him. even when my husband calls his brother is not interested to talk he is ready to say bye all the time my husband prolong the talk. My cosis never talks to me its me who initiates conversation first always we never had a long conversations, i have never interfered in their personal life till date, i just talk about movies ot recipes thats all but still she never shows interest to talk to us. What ti do friends i dont want to lose any one in life i want to maintain happy relation my kids want good family atmosphere? But some times i feel sad seeing my husband how can i ignore and movenon

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Have you spoken to your husband about this? I think you need to share your concerns with him and make him understand that both you and him are being used. According to your account, both his parents and his brother and sister-in-law are uninterested in your life. It is you (i.e. you as a couple) who is unnecessarily going after them. Of course, they shall have no problems taking your free seva. I too would take free seva if somebody was ready to give it to me.

So, start by talking to him. See what he says. Then gradually, stop providing free seva at least from your side. Don't speak to your co-sister. Don't speak to your husband's parents. If they visit, don't cook. If you visit, don't cook. Start taking small steps and gradually wean yourself away from them. But, talking to your husband is the start of breaking free from the toxic situation that you find yourself in.

mybaby1 likes this.
  3. cutepoojitha

Thanks for your reply umanga, if i talk he screams, you dont like them visiting, it is not i dont like them but just he should know the fact. I like them but i dont likr we being used. My husband treats me well i dont want to end up fighting with him with these inlaws issues. How can i make him understand?

4. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I am sorry to hear that because he seems like a decent chap otherwise. It is nice to hear that you actually like your in-laws and want to continue to have a relationship with them despite their treatment of you. I am not sure you can get through to him if he starts shouting at the very mention of the problem. I suppose the modern solution would be couples counselling where both of you can air your grievances openly in front of a psychologist or counsellor. Being a traditional fellow, he may not agree to that. Is there somebody in your family who could speak to him on your behalf?

Try to bring up the matter gently and softly. If that doesn't work; speak through your action and stop doing free seva. Apart from that, I don't think I have any suggestions.

sindmani likes this.
  5. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Just start treating them the same way as they are treating you.....Begin with talking it out with your DH...tell him you feel insulted....be polite and yet firm that enough is enough..they are taking you for granted....its not a good behaviour he is putting out for your toddler....we will get importance and respect up until the point we are not allowing ourselves being used....your DH attitude to them has made them think he will always be there and that we dont need to return the basic courtesies...it is basic human nature....
    for eg..in our family, we had cousin bhabhi who used to go extra mile doing household, kitchen work whenever she used to go to other family members home, everyone would be happy she is here (to work)..she was v nice..but she was taken for granted....finally my cousing bro (her DH) realized it and started changing this...it was only after this, that people realized her importance.....

just dont do things that you dont get in return....dont keep a hard check on it but gradually start not-doing stuff....hope things are not bad in terms of finances.....the scariest part for a wife is when her DH allows one-way cash flows without thinking about kids.....

mybaby1, sindmani and chocolate like this.
  6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

People who are weak, scream and get angry...maybe your DH is weak internally, or not having the confidence to say NO to his family..sorry to hear this...my DH is like that sometimes and it leads to a lot of arguments to finally get my point conveyed to him....he needs to bolden himself up.....you need to talk to him, there will be lots of arguments but you need to have these for your future....sort this thing right now and nip it in the bud.....

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,you can't do anything if your husband does not mind being used.
    You can only stop yourself from being used. That will help you have peace of mind and not become bitter.

1) when you go to India...don't rush into the kitchen .Let them do whatever they want to do. If they want to eat from outside,bear with it. How long will they do it ?If they expect you to cook...just go to your room and rest or go shopping.

If husband asks you to go to the kitchen and cook...tell him it is your holiday and break too.
    If someone is cooking...you can help a bit on the side.

2) When people come to your place...after the first few days ,do what you normally do fir your family.
    At the most,add a desert.

3)Your husband can keep checking on them and informing them about his life,may be that gives him happiness and peace.If you don't want to...that should be your choice.

4) Invest well for your self and your family . Buy things that you want to buy for yourself and family .Don,'t deny yourself a good life at the expense of giving extended family a good life.

8. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

It'll be hard for you to step back unless your husband is willing too.
    I can kind of see his point, he obviously loves his family and tries very hard to connect with them. It's sad that they do not reciprocate with the same care. From your post, it sounds like your husband is lonely. Does he have friends or other interests?
    You are correct in the way you behave when they come to your house, guests should be treated with respect and ideally, they should respect your home by helping out. However, if this is consistently not happening, then perhaps it's time to step back. Stop going the extra mile, stop cooking elaborate meals and waiting on them hand and foot.
    Your husband may notice and call you out on this but that is the time when you stand up for yourself and say you are not comfortable with the way things are going. If he starts shouting, walk away. You can't change his mind but you can certainly control your own interactions with the rest of the family in a way that does not stress you out.

9. cutepoojitha

Thanks friends for your valuable suggestions. Our relationship is good except these problems, I dont feel like arguing with him on these issues. I will try to follow some of the tips you have suggested, regarding the financial I feel like ignoring as I cant do much about it. My husband doesnt have any expectations on any relationship he just try to do from his side, One way it is good that but by the End of the day he is pawn in the game of his family which makes me sad but by end of the day I am with him is what makes me happy. Thanks friends for your suggestions

10. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP, Your husband is a nice and generous person, doing things without expectation. I don't think you should discourage him from this, as its his parents. Since your relationship is good, overlook these issues, and maintain peace. Be polite and maintain your distance from things that seem unfair.