1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feel Guilty About Not Wanting To Do Ms In Networking

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

If you are in my Father's situation, how do you react, what advice, wisdom do you give? Please read.

Father encouraged me for education. Said he always wished for educated, intelligent wife. Compromised on marrying my Mother, who is not bright, uneducated, came from abusive home (not an angel herself)

In my early 20s I was enthusiastic about school because I thought higher education, good job would give me best husband.

I had crush on a guy in Undergraduate and that motivated me to study harder and get on Dean's List.

I did BS and MS in Computer Science with Honors and Full Scholarship.

I almost completed ME in Systems Engineering with Full Scholarship.

Then I relocated back home in US Northeast for another government job.

Took lot of computer certifications because government job in not permanent.

Few years ago got married, thought it was heaven, it was not.

Wanted to cope with the horrible feelings, tried to continue studying for certifications, failed test after test.

Early last year Changed to Cisco Networking. Was enthusiastic for a while, but was traumatized that maybe I don't understand the concepts and I will fail exam again.

Then Father suggested going for University courses, get better help.

I thought I saw job-related opportunity where they will pay for higher education.

Applied and got into program for MS in Networking.

After excitedly paying $300 non-refundable deposit fee, I had talk with Father.

My heart is not in this, but rather, my heart is in getting settled (I'm mid-30s) and getting permanent city government job (now they are finally announcing city exams).

I am feeling sad and guilty that my heart is not into doing MS in Networking.

I rather learn interpersonal skills at this point in my life, i.e. I am involved in Toastmasters, learning how to get along with different sorts of people.

And if someone in Toastmaster seems unfair to me, I try to understand their situation and soon I realize if I was in their shoes, I would react the same way.

And I am reading leadership books, trying to soak everything in.

These books should be read several times and applied.

Now, University said that since I paid non-refundable deposit, I have few days to defer enrollment. I only get one chance.

Honestly, my heart is not in doing MS in Networking right now. Per God's Will, I wish to get settled, my Father wishes I get settled. And I can really use some excellent interpersonal skills to communicate with all sorts of people and "win them over"

And I'm trying to keep good health for circumumbulating around Mount Kailash, plus exercise (esp Surya Namaskar) will help with fertility (grandmother from Father's side gave birth in early 40s --- but she was first pregnant in late teens)

Please provide your viewpoints and wisdom.

vaidehi71 likes this.

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Do what your heart says.Never do anything just because others tells you to do..follow your heart

ChennaiExpress and vaidehi71 like this.