Favourite Restaurants

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by piyagupta, Jul 17, 2009.

1. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

One of my favourite restaurants of Kolkata is Peter Cat located at Park Street near the Music World outlet.

I have been going there since my childhood and I love the food, the services and the ambience.

Peter Cat is famous for its Chello Kabab and people, from not only all over India but also from every corner of the world, visit this restaurant for tasting this sumptuous item.

The varied range of sizzlers that Peter Cat serves are delicious. My personal favourites of this resturant are the fried sausages, Chicken Marrakesh and Sikanderi Raan. I never miss these whenever I visit Peter Cat.

They also have a good range of desserts of which Tooti- Frooti is the most popular.

2. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

A Kolkata restaurant I remember dearly is Dhaba located at Ballygunge Phnari. It is situated just opposite the restaurant named Kwality. During my two-year stay at Kolkata, I had visited that restaurant on numerous occasions, specialy with my cousins and my school friends. When I was leaving Kolkata, my schoolmates had treated me with a farewell lunch on a Saturday afternoon at Dhaba.

It is a small but compact place. The ground floor has the takeaway counter. Initially they had the restaurant in the first floor. But later they extended it to another floor above.

They serve excellent quality Punjabi food. Their Dal Makhani is the best, even by North India standards.

3. debjanisen

debjanisen New IL'ite

Hey, My hubby is a foodie and nearly every Saturday evening we end up in a restaurant. I've been to nearly all the famous restaurants of Kolkata but what I really like are Mughlai restaurants of Kolkata.

My favorites are:

- Shiraz in Park Street (Mullick Bazar Crossing)
    - Sabirs in Chandni Chowk
    - Arsalan in Park Circus

What about yours...

4. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

A favourite Mughlai restaurant among my friends is Bedwin. It is located at many places in Kolkata, like Golpark, Gariahat Nandi Street, in Ballygunje Phnari and in Jodhpur Park.

I remember going to the Golpark Bedwin for the first time with my schoolmates during a Durga Puja. I was in Class Eleven at that time. Later, we had ordered food from Bedwin for a get-together that we had arranged when our Class Twelve days came to an end.

The food that Bedwin serves has always been good. It is famous for its Biriyani, Rezala and Kebabs. Bedwin also sells delicious rolls of all varieties.

5. write2sreejata

write2sreejata New IL'ite

Hello Everybody,

Same pinch with Piya, Peter Cat is also my favorite. I like the sizzlers the best, especially ‘Tandoori mixed grill’. It used to be a favorite hangout place for my friends and me. Every time we had a birthday party; we always ended up there, still now.

And besides, Peter Cat holds a special place for me, because it is the first restaurant where my husband and I went together, when we were dating each other. Anyways, ‘Arsalan’ is also a personal favorite of mine and so is ‘Mocambo’.

Would love to hear from you all…
    Keep posting…

It is a nice topic. Sreejata

6. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Let me tell you about an old and very famous restaurant of Kolkata. It is located at the Shyambazar Five-Point Crossing or Pnaach Mathaar Mor as it is called in Bengali in North Kolkata. It is called Golbari.

Golbari is famous for its Kosha Mangso (a spicy preparation of mutton). The shop has stood there since ages and Kolkattans, irrespective of their age, generation, background or status have been ardent admirers of Golbari’s Kosha Mangso and Rumali Ruti.

I remember going to Golbari on many occasions with my father and buying Kosha Mangso and Rumali Ruti for the family.

A landmark near this shop is the big statue of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on horseback.

7. papiyarose

papiyarose New IL'ite

hi all,
    You are right Piya. Golbari used to be one of my favorite hangouts. I remember, I used to go there for maths tuition in my school days and was often tempted by that particular mouth-watering smell…hmmmmmmm…years have passed since I had ‘kosha mangsho’ of Golbari. Wish I knew the recipe.

Thanks for refreshing my memory, the first thing that I will do when I reach Kolkata, though I dunno how soon that will be possible, I will go to Golbari…

Love... Papiya

8. bhaswatismiles

bhaswatismiles New IL'ite

Hey, Did u know, Golbari was closed for nearly two years... They have opened recently...

9. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Have any of you visited Sigree at South City Mall? It is also known as Flame And Grill. It is a specialty restaurant. The name is inspired by the slow charcoal fire of the simple iron vessel called “Sigree”.

Sigree specializes in kebabs. It will cost every customer the same amount of money. It will serve the widest possible range of both non-vegetarian and vegetarian kebabs. The tables have square holes with aluminium grills. Fire burns constantly underneath these grills. The kebabs are brought to the tables by the waiters in sticks and are placed above the grills. The flow of kebabs is unlimited. At one point of time the customers themselves have to decide that they have had enough of the kebabs and they would like to proceed for the main course.