1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Carnatic Songs!

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by justanothergirl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

You may be right. I searched a long time but could not find one that he sang.

justanothergirl likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister Namasthe. would it be proper to draw attention of the music lovers of Carnatic music in this thread to stalwarts' published article and or books. it is interesting to know research needed to discover whether G N B sir sang his own compositions.
    Regards.
    Thyagarajan:neutral::icon_writing:

justanothergirl likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Garbhapurivaasa
    He was one of the quartet of composers VenkaTasubbiah, Cinna DEvuDu Krishniah, Karur Chinnaswamiah, and Dakshinamurti Sastri .

Na manvini vinavayya - Raagam Chakaravaham. Sung by a group of lovely young artists. They have sung so beautifully I listened to this again and again.

Maruvakadaya - in raagam Mohanam
    Performed by yet another young artist.

PavithraS, Shanvy and justanothergirl like this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I am sure I speak for all of us here..we would love nothing more ! This is as much ur thread as its ours. Please feel free to post!

6. Thyagarajan

thank you very much for your response. About saint Tyagaraja- Kalaimamani Smti Sudha Ragunathan
    (Appeared in DTNext CHENNAI, THURSDAY, May 11,2017)
    The enduring legacy of Tygaraj’s compositions
    May 4 was the 250th birth anniversary of Tyagaraja, and it is thanks to him that not only classical performers, but also street singers---bhajana goshtis—found their voice.
    Each time I sing Saint Tyagaraja’s immortal kriti, Bantu reethi gowla in Hamsanadam, it simply makes me go into a trance. Gems from his repository form an integral part of every musician’s repertoire. What is it that makes this saint composer so popular and so revered? Simply, the beauty and bhakti in his compositions. They are also prodigious—with an extensive selection of ragas and with a deeply poignant appeal to his Lord Rama in myriad emotions. Be it complaining, soliciting, endearing, or being thoughtful and philosophical — they are all outpourings of love in all earnestness and in prayer.
    To quote Suddhananda Bharathi, “Tyagaraja is a Mira in motion, a Kabir in devotion, a Purandara Dasa in music and a Nammalwar in vision.” Tyagaraja related not to the cognoscente but to the simple man and woman on the streets, those with no great knowledge or education, and composed his music in simple tunes and melodies.
    Where else will you ever see all practicing musicians come on their own accord to his birthplace in Tiruvaiyaru year after year, gather together and sing in abandon and with gratitude for the treasures that he has left behind for the world to extol? Only Tyagaraja has this lure to create such an ambience and be remembered for so many years down the line with such a congregation.
    I have performed at various global festivals the world over, but it is here that I feel such great spiritual vibes during each of my annual ritualistic visits for the last three decades. I simply cannot describe the experience — it has to be felt to be understood. When over a three thousand people sing the same intricate composition in chorus, there is no clamoring to show any musical prowess or individuality. It’s just a surrender to that ultimate bliss of music.

It is said that Sage Narada appeared as a sanyasi before Tyagaraja and gifted him the Swararnava (ocean of swaras), initiating him into the intricacies of music. Thus in Narada’s praise, he composed Narada gana lola in Atana ragam , Sri Narada nada saraseeruha’ in Kanada ragam and Narada guruswamy in Durbar ragam. Dorakuna ituvanti seva in Bilahari was sung by him post undergoing training and before an august gathering of musicians and poets. He made an elaborate raga alapana in Kamb hoji and sang his Marimari ninne in Adi talam driving his audience to sheer ecstasy.
    His masterpiece , Nidhi Chala Sukhama, in Kalyani was sung when he declined the invitation of the ruler of Thanjavaur to be the court poet. He laments, “Oh mind, tell me honestly, what is it that brings great happiness — is it wealth or the sight of the Lord? Is it the flattery of mere men bound in their own conceit or in singing the praises of the Lord by the wise Tyagaraja?”
    Rajaji, recording his admiration for the bard, says, “Every kirtana is a beautiful temple in which the great composer has installed the God of his heart for worship by those who sing and those who hear.”
    Tyagaraja popularised group singing and bhajans and also gave dignity to the bhagavathas, the bhajan performers. It was during his period that they came into the limelight.For my guru MLV Amma, Thyagaraja’s kritis brought out a sensitivity both in the musician and in the rasika, that defied any definition.
    Words are not enough again to describe Tyagaraja’s devotion to the Lord. Just like a doting child clinging on to its mother, Rama it was for him to pour his emotions. His very existence, so intricately woven, that he simply meshed as one with the Lord at all times, going into oblivion at the mere mention of the His name. Tyagaraja draws up an impressive list of illustrious predecessors in his Prahalada Bakthi Vijayam and Endaro Mahanoy havulu is a salutation to the noble contemporaries.
    Tyagaraja, the saint of Tiruvaiyaru, the soul of Carnatic music and of Indian culture, attained immortality on January 6, 1847 on the Pushya Bahula Panchami Day, that is celebrated annually ever since, by grateful musicians and rasikas. Tyagaraja was aware that he was born with a mission of singing the praise of his Lord Rama and in the kriti, Daya juchutakidi velara, in Ganavaridhi he expresses gratification of a self-conscious artiste, born to fulfil a great mission. The sound of Tyagaraja’s ragas have a mystic power on the minds and hearts of the listeners. The dignity, grandeur, beauty and erudition of his compositions are incomparable.
    I am sure the Centre, as committed, will release a stamp on Saint Tyagaraja in this 250th year of celebrating his birth and his music. This will be another endorsement to his enduring legacy.
    I hope Carnatic music lovers among IL'ites would enjoy reading or re-reading of the above informative article.
    with warm regards
    V Thyagarajan
    ps: it is suggested to include in emoji - images of violin clarinet flute etc.

justanothergirl and PavithraS like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

I was bit sceptical about the last sentence in this post. Discussions with my son and pal revealed that the rag is BHILAHARI. I don't think my lapse can be attributed to my butter fingers and or senility.
    Regards to followers of this thread.:relaxed:

kaniths, kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HarikEshanallur Mutayyaa Bhaagavatar - (1877-1945)

This post-trinity composer has to his credit abut 400 songs. he Composed in all four languages - Sanskrit, Telugu, Kannada, and Tamil.

His English note is very popular.

Mudra: HarikEsha

For more information on him Royal Carpet Carnatic Composers: Harikeshanallur MuttayAh BhAgavathar

Maathey Malayadwaja - raagam Khamas

Here is one song that I learnt which I love to hear on the Veena by Vainika Shri Rajesh VAidhya
    Sudha Mayee - Raagam Amrithavarshini

There are many more of his lovely compositions.
    Have a great weekend.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  9. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

@kkrish, i have learnt this song as well...

kkrish likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Still experiencing the hangover from yesterdays solar-eclipse party :blush:

Particularly love Budhamashrayami in Natakurinji.

Shanvy, Srama and Anisu like this.