1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Carnatic Songs!

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by justanothergirl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

As an addendum to my previous just posted in this thread: I turned on the video of Dr. Nirmala SRINIVASAN posted here and enjoyed her concert. I'm proud to say my daughter since six or seven years is her disciple.

justanothergirl and kkrish like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Mr. @Thyagarajan .

Glad to know your daughter is disciple of Mrs. Nirmala Srinivasan.

The person in the video is Mrs. Nirmala Sunderarajan. Perhaps you meant Sunderarajan.

3. Thyagarajan

Thank you KKrish. I stand corrected. God continue to bless us.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thinking about all those moms who are sending their kids off to college ...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Anisu, Thyagarajan, Shanvy and 2 others like this.
  5. justanothergirl

@Thyagarajan ..welcome to the thread ! Do continue to post ur favs ,ur perspectives and any tidbits from the kutcheris u have attended in the past.
    @kkrish lovely lovely songs as always!

kkrish likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Just before dawn and just before sleep listening to this with rapt attention avoiding other stimulating would help the person to balance levels of hormones that are responsible for causing profound quality sleep in night and keep you active and alert during wakeful hours in day. Try and enjoy the result of Raga Devathai Reethi Gowda.
    God continue to bless us all.
    Regards.:innocent:

7. Thyagarajan

As a rejoinder to the above, I wish to add : in music therapy experiments revealed the effect on human psyche and other health parameters for various conditions. A set of ragas alapanas Keerthanas the patient was exposed at regular intervals on daily basis and in about 2 -3 months significant improvement noticed especially with persons deranged. I think there is music therapy department in hospitals including Apollo. Kalaimamani kunnakudi Vaidhyanathan avargal established a lab for this purpose which was one of his projects that was close to his heart. I read in the press few months before he departed to heaven, his article mentioning the various ragas and their select combinations to cure ailments such as chronic head ache of various types (52), erratic functioning of heart, kidney, cramps.
    In the article ibid he narrated the last days of his beloved dad suffering from severe stomach disorder. When Kunnakudi Sir (KK) wanted to take him to physician, his dad refused by gesture but pointed his finger upward to a small trunk in the loft. His dad could not speak. KK understood the gesture, took the trunk from loft and opened it and placed it in front of bed ridden dad.
    With shaking slender hand, KK's dad rummaged the contents made of hand written notes. He picked up one kirthana from it and gestured to KK to play that on his violin. KK DID that exactly flawless. Voila, for His dad the sufferance gone and he gained strength to raise and sit leg stretched. That was rag BHAIRAVI.:wave:
    REGARDS.

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Lovely lovely Reethigowla @justanothergirl .
    The moment I sent my kids to college was a very painful moment. Knowing that things will never be the same again.

I had tears again yesterday as I listened to this song where the mom is beseeching the child not to leave.

Sunburst and justanothergirl like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

G.N. Baalasubramaniam - (1910-1965)
    A contemporary musician, he was a singer, composer, and actor.
    He had composed about 250 songs in Sanskrit, Tamil, and Telugu. He also created the ragas Chandrahasita, Sivasakti, Amrita Behag, and some more.

Marakoti - Raagam Bahudari by his student Dr. M.L.V.

Samana RAhite

10. justanothergirl

@kkrish...MLV singing GNBs composition super! Not sure how true this is..but unlike most recent composers GNB is supposed to have never sung his own compositions.

kkrish likes this.