Fasting according to Hindu Religion.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 17, 2007.

1. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra

That was a nice write about fasting. I liked your idea of fasting one day in a week, having fruits, salads, coffee and tea. I too like fasting but I am scared whether I will become tried and cannot manage the household work the next day. I understand that it needs lot of selfcontrol and patience to do fasting. My fasting is having light meal in the afternoons and having fruits in the night.

Thank u once again for sharing another wonderful article with us.

Love and regards
    Priya

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,
    Thanks for your F B.
    My MIL used to fast for ekadasi & some other days. Ofcourse we, two DILs used to run errands for her. But still, next day, feeling run down, she used to be in her worst moods & I used to dread her upavasam !
    I think, each should stretch herself only within her limits. If it is not possible, better don't observe - God is not going to be displeased !
    I am attaching 2 pages as pdf file on Periyaval's talks on upavasam.It is in Deivathin kural 3 rd book.
    Do not think, I follow it ! I follow my own instincts & my own rhythm !
    Love,
    Chithra.

quote=gayathriar;65521]For a few years, I used to fast on tuesday evenings when I just had fruit or milk and my husband still teases me that tuesday evening foods were awful( since I didn't have to eat it )!!!

But, I have had the benefit of observing my mom( who has been fasting every monday from the time she got married and of late during SankataHaraChaturthi and other such days ), my grandma( 80+ who fasts almost all evenings these days ), a grand uncle who used to strictly fast on Sankata Hara Chathurthi and recently my Gujarathi team-mate, who fasts every monday and eats only sago kichedi and is not tempted by any team-lunch or anything else. There is a lot of motivation around to fast, but just lack of inclination. I really appreciate your statement 'care has to be taken to make sure that we do not become physically weak and hence irritable during fasting' - the people who inspire me in this aspect do not have an iota of irritation when they fast, while I can't say the same about me - :cry:

The concept of fasting once a week, a rigorous fast once a fortnight on ekadasi on the pretext of spirituality to really cleanse the system is really commendable. I have heard that the reason they had agathikeerai and amla raita on Dwadasi was to offset the effects of fasting on ekadasi.

If you don't mind, Can you please share PeriyaVaals idea of fasting???

-Gayathri[/quote]

Attached Files:

3. Chitvish

Dear Punitha,
    Thanks for joining us here.
    There is no point in attempting things, beyond us - we become unhappy & sick & make others also !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Priya,
    Thankyou for the F B.
    With a young child to run behind, I think you should be careful not to try fasting regularly.
    I never attempted much in my younger days for fear of feeling exhausted, more the next day !
    So take care & do things, suitably.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Many thanks for taking the pains to scan and upload Periyavaal's voice on Ekadasi vratham - that too this promptly!!! It slightly makes me feel bad if I have bothered you.

I completely agree with you that fast should be observed with noble intentions. Failing to do so, I stopped my attempt - oflate, I have been thinking of starting to fast and found your post like a wake up call.

This plight of me is in stark contrast with a lot of people around me not eating right - they skip breakfast, lunch, etc., Or go on a crash diet( like fruit only, no -carb, etc., ) just to maintain their looks which they are way too conscious about...hmm., maybe somebody should talk about feasting to them...! Sorry I didn't mean to stray away from the topic and shall end here.

-Gayathri.

1 person likes this.
  6. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Thanks for sharing the significance of fasting with us. I use to fast as a newly wed just to escape from cooking for M:wink: but gosh I use to feel irritated, and end up with migraine headaches. Then I decided fasting was just not for me. You need to be highly motivated with a lot of self control.I do it only for few hours on Varalakshmi vratham and pooja days.
    Enjoyed reading the religious aspect of fasting Chitra. Will wait until next Thur.
    Love,

7. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    As you have now learnt about me in this short time, I enjoy all these "pains" & please do not feel bad - not worth it !
    Even if the intentions are noble, unless our physical health cooperates, it is not worth fasting & feeling self-pity besides irritating others.
    Yes, foregoing breakfast everyday is not fasting, but my dietician says is "less healthy dieting" ! Let us follow moderation in our life knowing our limitations, in every aspect of life !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Dear Radha,
    You fasted to escape cooking ?! Poor M, besides managing your moods, he must have also had to fast !!
    Even on puja days, if there is extra work, you can have milk & fruits. Fruits give you the necessary sugar to boost you up. Remember Radha, fasting is not a must, but purely optional depending on one's rhythm !
    I am going to miss your F B s after 15 th June !
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

dear CV,

thanks for sharing so much info on fasting. very informative,as usual. i have always felt guilty abt not being able to observe fasting on any important occasion,b'cos it leads me to gastric irritation. u have insisted all along the thread that health comes first. but i am sure you can provide me a solution.
    looking forward to your advice.

shreyasri

10. Chitvish

Dear Shreyasri,
    Thankyou for your F B.
    If your health does not allow, I repeat, please do not undertake or even try fasting !

Only a dietician or medical person can help you. Or you may get over it as age advances.
    Love,
    Chithra.