FAQs on Ask Chivtish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: FAQ's on Ask Chitvish

Please go to

Bakarwadi

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

3. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

4. Dharmishtha

Dharmishtha New IL'ite

hi chithra mam.:) i have query that if i want know about your post written on specific food or item then how can i? because when i opens your index of food ,then i gets confused :bonk that where is my recipe is listed in your thread. can you help me by arrange them any other convenient way? :hide:

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi,

There are many ways to search for a recipe in this forum. I will list all of them. Depending on your need, you can choose which one to adopt. The recipes ( which are thousands in number) are indexed in three major ways - as per category, as per alphabet and on a over all master index to make it easy for browsing. If you are new here, take some time to try different methods. In a few days, it will all be easy!

Method One :For searching a specific type of food (for example, you want to search for some new type of sambar or rasam to make), visit this page.In this link, you will find recipes classified as thogyals, vadais, rasams etc. Click on it, and you will be led to a recipe index.

Search through various categories in Ask Chitvish

Method Two: For searching a recipe, with a specific ingredient ( for example, you have lots of cabbage and want to make something with it ( poriyal or vadai or kebab), visit this page

A-Z category of Chitivish Recipes

Method 3: For searching a previously seen recipe ( you have seen Masala Poli, and want that recipe) or for seeing a full list of all recipes in Ask Chitvish, visit this page.

Ask Chitvish - The Recipes Index

In this page, use a find function ( Press Ctrl+F in keyboard) and search for a particular recipe. Or you can also perform an advanced search. The method to do an advanced search is given here. This method is particularly useful if you are searching for ingredients that are rarely used (eg. onion seeds, condensed milk etc)

How to do an advanced search in Ask Chitvish pages.

Method 4: If you want to only check on the latest added recipes, check the FAQ thread :)

I hope this helps. If you have any more queries, do let me know :)

Cheers,
    Arch

6. Dharmishtha

Dharmishtha New IL'ite

THANX A LOT................................
    for your feed back.

DHARMISHTHA.

7. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi Arch,

I do have a search question for a long time. Good opportunity to ask you.

How can I search for posts with exact words? for eg, "rava upma"

When I enter the search term with spaces,say "rava upma", I get all posts with upma and recipes using rava (even rice rava) when I am only interested in rava upma. Do you know if there is a way around this issue?

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hridhya,

If you are absolutely sure of the name of a recipe, open the recipe index and do a search for rava upma! Here is a trick I use. I have bookmarked the recipe index in my bookmark bar as three pages.

Page 1 - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/128290-check-here-the-recipes-index.html and have named it as Sweets/Tiffin/Maincourse. I refer maincourse as kuzhumbus, rasams (soups included) and vegetables.

Page 2 - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/128290-check-here-the-recipes-index-2.html as Pulaos, Rotis and Desserts. I have named it this way because I do not browse for salads, drinks, pickles or baking items ( now) that often. You can name it with what you use the most.

Page 3 - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/128290-check-here-the-recipes-index-3.html as MW, Jiffy and Tips. You can name it another way as well.

After a few times, you will realize that the placement of posts are very easy to remember. The next time you need a tiffin, click on link one and do a simple search!

To search for an exact term , place the words between double quotes. " Rava upma" will only throw results with both words. Rava Upma will pick both. Rava and Upma will also pick only if the word has both Rava and Upma in it. I hope its of help :)

Cheers,
    Arch

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Arch, me too play the "searching game" often!!:rotfl:rotfl:hide:
    I find that the spelling has to be exact; otherwise it does not show up!:-(
    bhadusha & badusha!!
    To get familiar with the listings in all 3 pages 0f index is the best option in search.

10. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Thanks Arch, your method is really useful. Will implement soon.

But including "" or using 'and' keywords is not working, I think. Try in this thread and see. Anyways, not a worry. Initially I was relying on this search, but after that I am using an online bookmarking tool called delicious.

Thanks for the detailed reply.