1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fancy dress Competition - Daughter as Cleopatra

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by MadhuSharmila, Nov 24, 2013.

1. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

A fancy dress competition was announced in DD’s nursery for Children's day and there was no theme announced so we could dress them of our choice.

DH suggested to her dress her as Mother Teresa and I thought of dressing her as Indira Gandhi. When I was discussing about this with one of my friends, she asked why not as Cleopatra since she has a haircut like her. That seemed to be a better option for me.

Then I started looking for the costumes of Cleopatra on the net. There were lots of images of children dressed as Cleopatra for Halloween. I thought of making the accessories rather than hiring the costume. And here is how I dressed her as Cleopatra.

First thing I need is a plain satin long frock. There was a new frock gifted to DD recently. Though it was not fully plain, I thought of using that itself. It was a brown shaded frock covered with a lacy black cloth with a little stone work on the top. The problem of dress is solved now. Other things I need are the arm bands, hand cuffs, waist belt, collar and the crown.

I browsed through some videos in youtube and found out how I could make them easily. Got a chart paper and cut it into required shapes. Almost all fall into rectangular category except for the collar, for which I need to cut a circle. I could only get golden paper rolls (Similar to a Cellotape), instead of Golden paper. I got a shiny blue colored one too.

Now, DH helped me in pasting the golden color paper rolls on to the cut shapes. I used the blue color rolls to make some small shapes and stick it to the golden background. I couldn’t make perfect shapes as it is a cellotape kind. I sewed the rectangular ends of the arm bands and hand cuffs together so that it could be worn easily. I used a yellow satin ribbon to tie the waist belt and got it stitched to both the ends of it.

I thought of making the crown too with the chart but was doubtful how good it will stay in place. We have got an eye mask, the top of which resembled a crown. DH suggested using that for a crown as it has elastic string, making it easy to wear. He helped in removing the lower part of it, so that there is no more resemblance of an eye mask. Now, we covered that too with Golden papers and the blue ones.

Major part of work is over by now. Two more things that are left out are the Cape (the long cloth at the back) and the shoes. I got a golden color cloth and cut it to DD’s size and got the ends stitched. We shopped for around 3 hours to get a golden color shoe of DD’s size. And since DD doesn’t have her ear pierced, I used one of my ear hangings and removed the top of it and tied it with a thread. Finally we got everything. Here is the picture of the accessories and how DD wore it.

IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0803.JPG cleopatra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    42 people like this.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:wow: Super looking Cleopatra, Hope she bagged the winning cup too..

May Baba bless her always, Neat, cute and excellent work :hatsoff Madhu Sharmila Sister,

Hugs and Kisses to LO, SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

really nice job, your daughter looks adorable :) really quite creative

1 person likes this.
  4. ransen

ransen Silver IL'ite

Hey......super gal..... It is very good that you parents have done a good research and made those accessories by urself instead of hiring a costume. That too you have managed it well by not spending too much. She is such an adorable cute little cleopatra.

5. MadhuSharmila

Thank you Sai sister for your first feedback. Thanks a lot for the blessings and wishes...

6. MadhuSharmila

Thank you so much Ruby...

7. MadhuSharmila

Thank you Ransen... Yes, we were so happy in doing it by ourselves for her, instead of just hiring one. And it didn't cost much too...

1 person likes this.
  8. nvathsala

nvathsala Silver IL'ite

Super. You had done a good job. Very good.

1 person likes this.
  9. MadhuSharmila

Thank you Vathsala..

10. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

wow.....she looks really lovely in those handmade accessories. One more thing i liked is that your DD's eyes, very much like cleopatra.

Just a suggestion, if you could have added some strings of beads on the sides of her hair or along with the crown.

1 person likes this.