1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fake Friendship World

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by CoolPie, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Dear ILs,
    I come again with another topic that has recently been disturbing me for sometime and now I am just learning to move on though it's been little harder.
    There was this friend of mine who was close with me in my college and school days. After college we lost contact and recently a year back I found her in a group of our classmates and she called.
    We both called each other and did chat a few times once in a few days and then her calls reduced and she said her daughter is in tenth grade and she is busy with her. I used to call her once or twice a month and she never called back. I don't expect her to call immediately after she sees my missed call. She can call whenever she is free in the next ten or twenty days or so. She used to give reasons for not calling me after seeing my missed call. Initially i beleived her but then later i understood that she was avoiding me but called her once in three months and now she doesn't respond. Recently she never answered or called back since a few months.
    Now I am learning to move on.

This is an example of one of my friendships though a few other friends say that they are busy when called. I think everyone is busy with their life. But I also think that none is too busy for a call at least once in three months. Am I right?

Am I expecting too much ? I know everyone's priorities have changed but I find it a little hard when some close friend does this.

Anyway I am learning to grow up.
    Does anyone experience such things from friends or relatives ?

2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, these things happen. They hurt.
    Worst is, if in future these people ever need anything form you, they come back and pretend like nothing ever happened- like they don't even acknowledge how they avoided and hurt you.

Mehana, Anisu, Zxcv and 4 others like this.
  3. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply nakshatra. That's absolutely true. I wonder if there is any true friendship in this world nowadays.

Star25 likes this.
  4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Dear Coolpie ,

You are such a good friend who keeps a check on old friends however not everyone is the same .
    Sometimes it could be true that they are really occupied and couldn't pick your call but as you said in this case looks like she is avoiding you as she dint get back to you for months now .

Stop investing time on such friendships as it gives you pain and nothing else. I have seen many friends/relatives who call or chat only when there is a need but we got to move on .If someone wants to avoid us due to whatever reason let it be and dont think much about it .

sindmani and CoolPie like this.
  5. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Dear lavii,
    Thanks for your response. I understand that everyone is really occupied including me but these people could have remained out of touch forever in my life.
    Fake friendships just drain me emotionally.
    I thought and even mentioned her in my conversation that even though there were many friends in my life, those friends of childhood days and in college days are special as they had emotionally blended in my memory forever compared to new friends.
    Now I understand many are only fake. Anyway I had to keep distance from such people as you said so that I need not undergo further pain.

6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Different people come into our lives at different points of time. Few stay and form lifelong friendships , others don’t but that’s fine too. They contributed to some good memories while the friendship lasted. So there is nothing to be disappointed or sad about. People change, circumstances change . So don’t be surprised.

satchitananda, knbg, Amica and 5 others like this.
  7. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Dear sandycandy,
    That is the right way of thinking and a positive way too. But the mind sometimes dwells on things quite negatively and feels sad about things that had happened.

Am trying to put your positive suggestion inside my mind often so that I don't get affected by circumstances.
    Thanks for the suggestion and yours is a valuable input.

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

there are very close friends then friends and then acquaintances. it is upto us to kniw which slot each goes. dont invest to much into a friendship where you are available for any help anytime .. and dont stop being there for the friend who may be more but is at that point of life where he or she is really busy.

we are adult enough to know the difference. there id no true and fake friendship. there are close friends and fair weather friends..

others are acquaintances that happened at that point for a reason and i wouldnot beat myself and havoc my peace of mind worrying too much about them.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    satchitananda, knbg, sindmani and 5 others like this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Just learn to let it go. Don’t hurt yourself too much. This too shall pass

Amica, CoolPie and Sandycandy like this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP ,
    Its life. Everything is transient. People come and go. People changes their behavior. Those who are destined to be in your life will be there for ever. Dont waste your time and energy thinking about it. Dont chase people.

There is a difference between close friends and acquaintances. If I were in your place I will maintain, but limit, her friendship to text messages - Happy Birthday or happy new year etc is enough. In future also, it is not advisable to expect anything from anyone. As long as they are with you, enjoy the moment and if they leave, let them go. Learn new lessons and move on. Good luck