1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Faith In Bright Future Vs Karma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 28, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Today was watching Joel Osteen, US pastor who is a motivational speaker (DISCLAIMER: he is more money oriented, saying that if his father who was his best friend hadn't died, then he wouldn't see greatness as a mega-church pastor)

He says if you have dream in your heart and pray, have faith the God will make it happen.

Then he says even if you give up on your dream, God will still make it happen.

But what about those who prayed, had faith, and died a million deaths.

There is story about Sarabjit (now movie with Aishwaria Rai) about farmer from Punjab who accidentally stumbled into Pakistan, rotted in their jails for 23 years before he was killed by fellow inmates and guards.

Meanwhile his sister tried everything to get him released, going to highest levels of Indian government. They were given false hope by Pakistan he would be released, but then changed last minute.

Onle this farmer's dead body returned to Indian soil.

What would a preacher like Joel Osteen say in his case? I guess thus type if suffering in unimaginable in USA, that us why people won't question his message.

I guess it is also Karma of past births, something that is not part of Christian belief.

And shortly after I watched Sai Baba serial (beautiful cinematography that truly depicts rustic India) where Sai says we can only pray, rest is up to God.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Cheeniya, Sandycandy and dimple7 like this.

2. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

3. ChennaiExpress

LOL, thanks

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

IMO there is only one life , try to do the right thing and wish well for others. That is the only thing one can control. I don’t believe in karma at all.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

That's true

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A truly thought provoking post. I am a strong believer of the saying 'Trust in God and keep your gun powder dry'
    In Norman Vincent Peale's words “Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.” Despite being an Evangelist, he did not promote blind belief in some unseen power. The glaring uncertainties of life may point to Karma but allowing Karma to bog down our progress is foolish. Have you read Karma Cola by Gita Mehta?

Sandycandy, uma321 and ChennaiExpress like this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

Keep you gun powder dry ... I like that!

I like you reminder to have faith in our our powers and abilities. I guess when life gets you down, you lose confidence.

Irony is, when something bad happens we say it's Karma. How about if something good happens?

Karma Cola? Will have to read that.

8. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Its the same. Karma.
    If some thing good happens, they say, he would have done something godly earlier, which is the result of this/ He would have prayed with golden flowers in earlier birth to achieve this in this birth etc.
    Karma achieved by good deeds

ChennaiExpress likes this.