1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Opener

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 29, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

- What I said in response to @girvani.

Well said and you and I agree on this statement. I didn't focus on my post about my assessment of others but others' assessment of me. @Nonya raised a very good question about how to find the right person to get a honest feedback of "How am I doing?" and I think to that extent, we need to find a right mentor who could add value when we struggle with our mind to find our own faults. That would involve evaluating someone else carefully whether they have the right attitude and qualification to advice us.

Sri Sathya Sai Baba's quote is: "You Cannot Always Oblige, But You Can Always Speak Obligingly". This quote was about how to speak softly even when we don't agree with someone else.

Everything including our own behavior is subject to change and that is good because it allows a human being to change for good. Our assessment of others go wrong when our mind is not in the right track. That is all the more reason why we need to train our mind through mentoring to only look for the best qualities from everyone around. This habit would help the mind to find our own faults.

Viswa

2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Nice thoughts .
    I am not sure how many people will give honest feebacks . There will be a few people also ever ready to give criticism and free advise . But Are we really so balanced that wecan take such kind of feedbacks happily and repair our behaviour ? Unless very avanced in selfcontrol , it will be difficult . Mostly we will feel hurt only.
    In my opinion , best way to make ourself better is to watch ourself and realise mistakes and correct it ourself .

Nonya likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

@SCSusila,

I agree that not many would give honest feedback or a few may give free advise and criticism unsolicited as well, right or wrong. My question is if taking advice and fixing our character is that hard, how can we monitor our mistakes and correct it ourselves? Our mind will find 100 reasons to justify everyone of our thoughts, words and actions. Our tendency to carefully listen to people around us even if they say things about us politely and diplomatically, we should be able to extract what they are trying to communicate. That habit would help us control our mind and ego resulting in effective self analysis at some point in time.

Viswa

SCSusila likes this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

;-)
    However it is a relief to foist our own character building on our reviewers and critics.

SCSusila and Viswamitra like this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    A thought provoking post.
    The concept of self-analysis was popularized by the famous psychologist Sigmund Freud. He studied and researched on the field of psychoanalysis, which is an outcome of the study of self-analysis.

Self-analysis is defined as the process of studying and examining one’s personality, emotions, and behavior. In psychological terms, the process involves an understanding of the individual’s subconscious and conscious mind.

There are various means to conduct self-analysis. A regular self-evaluation of potentials and weaknesses can make us what we need to develop more and what needs to be changed or even eliminated.

Feed back from people who really evaluate our behaviour without any bias is needed to make us more finer along with self analysis.
    PS

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Thank you for your wonderful response. Study of our mind from the point of view of what kind of thoughts we get often, what kind of information we seek consistently, how we assimilate them, how we receive communication from fellow-beings, how our mind reacts such communication, etc. are important steps in our personal growth and development. Developing qualities of an observer, becoming a strong listener (both inward and outward), expanding attention span, improving concentration and focusing are very important.

In my 34 years of married life, I consider my wife's contribution for my personal development as extremely important not because of great qualities I learned from her but also for her pointing out the grave mistakes I was about to commit from time to time. Mostly, she functions like my external conscience. She plays a very important role in my character development besides many mentors I have hand-picked from my friends. My dad died in 1987 when I was 33 years old and he made silent contribution in my character development by his actions more than words.

Viswa

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

You are your mind.. Your mind defines you. So how do you build checks and balances to monitor it? It is for the mjind to monitor you, your reflexes, emotions drives etc.

8. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

Your body is what you think you are, your mind is what others think you are whereas you are the pure consciousness. The vagaries of mind is difficult to control. The mind doesn't exist without thoughts and if we eliminate all our thoughts, our mind ceases to exist. The mind constructs our personality step by step over a period of time. We have to examine if we are the mind, what happens during Shusupti (deep sleep state) when there are no thoughts?

We can have a few mentors who genuinely give honest opinion about the strengths and weaknesses of our mind and we should have regular time for introspection to examine our thoughts, words and actions. The mind has four components namely, Manas (Emotional mind), Buddhi (Intellect), Chitha (Memory) and Ahamkara (Ego). It is our Ego that can influence each one of three other components. It can make us highly emotional or make us feel extraordinary human being instead of being humble or even encrypt the unpleasant past events burnt with emotions permanently in our memory. It is the Ego that prevents us from dropping our bad qualities and a hindrance for self-development.

Watching our breath is one way to regulate the mind. Forming habits that helps us develop personally is another. Having company of good is third. Reading good teachings wherever it is from is fourth. Moderation in sensual pleasures is fifth. Understanding what we don't control and accept things as it happens is sixth. Doing actions skillfully to our satisfaction, lovingly with full devotion to the actions performed and selflessly without the thought that we are the doer with no expectation is seventh. Developing equanimity to be unaffected by pleasure and pain is eighth. Putting a ceiling on desires and attachments is ninth and lastly remaining happy for the opportunity to enjoy the world and contribute more to it than receiving is tenth.

Viswa

9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Hahaha ! That is one benefit , really

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear vishwa
    Rightly said.we jump to conclusion s quickly.
    Lovely post.
    Regards
    Kamal