Extremely Low Milk Supply

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Bliss9, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thanks @maddysweet . I did pump for every 2 hours for 20 minutes round the clock for 2 weeks. I did not see any huge increase in my supply. I tried to pump after every feeding but it was so exhaustive. My LO nurses for 40 minutes and pumping after 40 minutes nursing session will make it 1 hour of feeding session. I was only left with 1 hour before my next pumping session. Also as I was supplementing with formula, LO's feeding time and my pumping times do not match. I had to wait for her next feed time if I chose to pump after feeding. That spaces out to 3 hour between the feeds. Hence I chose to pump exclusively for every 2 hours round the clock.

I cannot repeat the cycle now as I am back to work. Do you have any other pumping plans to increase my supply?

maddysweet likes this.
  2. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Yes i know its tough to do after feeding , but try for 5 mins atleast.
    Now u r back to work so will not be able to feed baby and will use pump whole day, so leave pump on for 5-10 mins after u get the regular amount.
    Drink lots of water, lot of food
    Eat during night times also.

3. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thank you. I will try to pump for a few extra minutes.

4. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

I am so happy to share with you ladies that I successfully breastfed my baby for 6 months and going strong :) I cut down a lot of pumping and nursing her :) Thanks for all your suggestions ladies!

Ammu2886 likes this.
  5. smriti10

smriti10 New IL'ite

@Bliss9

Glad to see your update. Could you pl share what specifically helped to bring your supply up. I have tried a lot of things still my supply has not increased. I couldn't nurse my baby in the first month as he was in ICU. Now I am trying very hard to bring my supply up but unable to do so. Could you please give some suggestions to help.

Thank you
    Smriti

6. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

hi @smriti10 I responded to your PM

7. DrVandhana

DrVandhana Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I am an ayurvedic doctor and I would like to suggest few ayurvedic medicines which are ideal to increase milk production. Those are:

1. Vidaryadi kashaya sooksma choornam( Everest pharma)- 10-15gm to make a decoction and drink twice daily half an hour before food. Or prepare it as a gruel add a cup of milk and drink it. For 2 weeks
    2. Satavarex granules two tablespoon twice daily in warm milk . For 2 weeks or longer

After 2 weeks,

3. Kurinji kuzhambu lehyam- 1tsp , twice daily, one hour before food. After one bottle of this lehyam,
    4. Thenginpookuladi rasayanam.- 1 tsp, twice daily before food.

Foods that has to be compulsorily included in your diet are: green gram, palak, leafy vegetables . Avoid cabbage and cawliflower. Drink plenty of water and three glasses of warm milk.Take 2 fruits daily. Eggs can be included. Mutton soups can be taken, if you eat mutton. Keep warm compresses. Take a warm oil massage, also on breasts, from underarm to centre of body.Take warm water bath.After your bath, try to feed the infant. Reduce intake of spicy, salt,sour foods. Too much of this reduces the production of milk. While feeding be calm and be happy. You should be tension free and should not be over anxious. Concentrate only on the feeding process.

8. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Doctor,Is it ok to take tea or coffee during breast feed?How to gain babys weight through breast feed?What can I include in my diet so that my baby can gain weight.

9. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Saw your post very late,but anyways happy for you and your little one..Keep nursing :)

10. DrVandhana

DrVandhana Bronze IL'ite

Hi dear,

Whatever i have told above can be taken in diet and as internal medicines. You need not take anything extra. You should avoid taking carbonated drinks like cola and caffeinated products like tea or coffee as this decreases the milk supply.

And if your baby has crossed 6 months or is in 6th month, you have to start feeding him/ her with other foods like mashed rice, dal, carrot and potato. Prepare this in a pressure cooker. Also you can start introducing egg once in 3-4 days. If you find that baby has loose motions or some kind of indigestion or allergy, then immediately stop it. Fruit juices which are not cold can be given.

Also introduce soups, steamed apple or banana. Introduce only one food per day, not everything together. Ethakkapodi(banana powder) gruel and Ragi in semisolid form mixed with palm sugar can be given. This is all what you need to give in the beginning to help in baby's weight gain. Continue breastfeeding thrice a day. Take all the foods that helps in lactation . Drink lots of water.

Thank you.