Extremely Low Milk Supply

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Bliss9, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

I delivered my baby girl on Jan 10th. C section. I did not have a smooth delivery and the recovery was tough too.

Also my milk did not come in fully and had to supplement her from day one :( . This lead to post partum depression. I am not completely off of it yet. Despite every possible effort, my milk supply did not increase yet and my OB GYN is not bothered to figure out the root cause of the issue. She says it is hard to track the cause of low milk supply. I did everything the lactation consultants ask me to do. Power pumping, pumping after every feed, feed every 3 hours, fenugreek, lactation cookies, khus khus, garlic, drumstuck leaves, lactation pills and even the prescription drug reglan/domperidone. Nothing worked for me. I just can't get over the fact that my body failed to produce enough milk for my precious baby :( I have to return to work in a week and I can't pump more than once during the work hours. BTW I get only 2oz every 3 hours. Even if I wait for longer time all I can pump is 2 oz.
    Now I am wondering is it really worth to pump at work.

2. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Congrats on your new baby. I have tried mother's milk green tea and it worked for me. I didn't see it your list. You may give a try :)

Gayathrisarma, Bliss9 and Prishaa like this.
  3. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

Hi , if u stay in India try Galact Granules two times a day with milk ...

Drink lots of warm.milk it really helps.also oats are supposed to be very good for lactation why dun u give them a try and see..no harm done and no side effects for either of them

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, keep on pumping even in your office, at least one or two times, depending on your schedule . If you reduce the frequency, supply may go down. Even if you are getting 1oz,it's worth saving it at least upto to six months
    May be the postpartum struggle and medicines you have taken might have influenced your milk supply. Don't worry too much on it. Do whatever you can. At least you will have some satisfaction that you tried your best
    Drink lots of water. Eat a healthy diet. Include milk. Oats, small green peas ( green gram or moongdal) in your diet. I have also heard about mothers milk tea ( available in Amazon)as suggested above. I have used it once. It tastes like fennel seeds.

Bliss9 likes this.
  5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear op

Pl try Galact granules..Twice a day with milk. Do pump even when u resume job. Pumping gives miraculous benefits. Believe me.
    For my first dd I faced a lot of issues on feeding, it affected my mind body everything.
    But for my 2 nd dd I tried my level best to feed her. For the first three months milk supply was low for me. Baby keeps on crying for hunger made me sick. But later milk supply got increased due to pumping.

So try pumping, storing n feeding method now onwards. Don't worry u will be fine soon. This is the postpartum depression period so do not lose hope. Afterall everyone faces these situation n u will overcome from it soon

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Shatavari powder is a good solution which i think is available in capsules form in pharmacies. Pumping increases the supply too. Lactation is psychological too. So believe that you will produce the milk thats needed for your baby. All the best.

Bliss9 likes this.
  7. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Could you please elaborate hoe you came to the conclusion that you have low milk supply?Most of the women supplement for first 3-4 days.

Bliss9 likes this.
  8. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Try fennel too, it helps. Soak fennel, dates, cashews, other nuts raisins that you like. Soak in fridge.
    Make a paste. Keep in fridge. Add one spoon to a warm cup of milk and drink. Drink milk.

Also, first 2 months post baby, the milk is less. Afterwards, it increases. The milk is produced as per the babies need. Once the baby needs more the milk does increase.

Rest and naps, increase the supply too, since the milk making process is very heavy workout for the body.

Continue the night feeding, atleast once a night.

bhucat likes this.
  9. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I tried the mother's milk tea for 2 weeks. No increase in the supply. Here is the updated list of things I tried.

1. Fenugreek
    2. Mother's milk tea
    3. Shatavari
    4.Oats
    5. Garlic
    6. Barley
    7.Fennel Tea
    8. Jeera
    9. Lentil soup
    10. Sabudana
    11. Lactation cookies
    12.More milk plus capsules - It has several herbs including goat's rue which is supposed to increase the breast tissue and thus the milk supply
    13. Drumstick leaves powder
    14. Dondakaya/parval
    15. All water based vegetables- all gouds.
    16. Mutton
    17.Lactiful capsules - It has 8 different herbs including shatavari that promotes lactation

Last but not the least, I have been pumping for every 3 hours during the day and every 3- 4 hours during the night from past 2 months.

10. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thank you. I checked the composition of galact granules. It has almost all the ingredients as that of lactiful tablets I used. please check it here Lactiful Ingredients Increase Milk Supply

So I wonder if galact will work for me?