1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme Dry Scalp On Babys Head

Discussion in 'Infants' started by anothermom, Oct 10, 2017.

1. anothermom

anothermom New IL'ite

My son who is seven months has eczema as well as extreme dry scalp. Since hydrocortisone is not meant to be used on the head, I have been using just mustard oil (coconut oil dint show results) for massaging his scalp and mustela newborn sensitive headwash to wash his hair. I am not sure what changed but today I noticed a pus filled boil and extreme dry skin around that area. Staph (pus filled boil) infection has been occurring on and off on his head but I refrained from giving him antibiotics since it has been self healing thus far. However seeing how dry his scalp got today made me wanna cry. What can I try?

2. anothermom

anothermom New IL'ite

3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Have you checked with the pediatrician? Did your baby have cradle cap?

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Have you tried coconut oil. Apply on his body/head after taking bath also. It will be absorbed well. You can also try olive oil
    If doctors advice you to give antibiotics for staph, please do that. It can turn serious sometimes. It is Ok to take antibiotics, if needed. They also suggest the use of antibacterial soap and lotions. Please consult them. Also be careful with towels etc. Dont use warm water for long to wash his head. It can make the skin dry again.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Halosandwings

Halosandwings Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am in the same boat and dropped in to see if anyone has any suggestions. Recently I have started to do castor oil :D. Though it's not completely solving the issue the baby's skin is much better. The skin over my baby's legs was leathery and very rough. It did not become silky smooth but much better. You probably know this already but you need to apply oil after the bath on the wet skin. If you find something that works please share.

Halosandwings

6. Tushbuttan

Tushbuttan New IL'ite

Hi Anothermom- my daughter is 10 month old had the same condition, very dry scalp- what really helped is just rubbing some raw milk on her scalp and leaving it on for an hour- the just wash with water and comb- try not to use any shampoo, hope this helps:)

7. Kidsmommy

Kidsmommy New IL'ite

Hi,
    For body you can apply Aveeno Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm. It helped a lot for my daughter who had eczema. It made her skin very soft, no eczema now for her. For head you can apply olive oil on hair before bath.
    That helped my daughter.