Extreme Anxiety

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Starkgirl, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Recently I lost my mom, her death was so unexpected that I am still struggling to come to terms with her loss. I have history of anxiety and depression and now it has increased to new level. My gynac is not very understanding when it comes to mental disorder, she wants me to suck it up and concentrate on baby which I am trying to do but unable to as I find my emotions too overwhelming to control.
    In my last scan, they found small clot in my placenta and I am on complete bed rest then on. They said stress has caused it so I am constantly worried about impact of my anxiety on my baby, I fear for my baby....
    I don’t know what to do

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Oh god ! Im so sorry for the your loss , its not easy to loss a mother and move on just like that . Take your time to heal OP.
    Also just think what if its mother trying to come back to you ...would you give uou beat then. Of possible go for counselling .
    You are developing a human inside, its very necessary that you are happg with it
    Wish you all the best !

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for the loss. I second Ashima.I also thought your mother will come back. How many months pregnant.All the best ,take care I know it's a big loss for you yours mother's death but you have to think about your child also.It should not affect the child.So be cheerful

shravs3 and Starkgirl like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Starkgirl,

Sudden loss of the mother is a very painful experience that takes time to come to terms with. May her soul rest in peace.

The rule of the life is that it goes on and waits for none. Since the responsibility of bringing a healthy baby into this world is solely yours, your active efforts to provide a nice environment for the LO to grow well is called for. Isn't it wonderful that you are about to experience the same emotions and status that your mother once enjoyed when you were in her womb? Congrats! Think how magical it would feel when your little one fills your arms! Divert your mind actively with the thoughts of your little one, it will fill your heart with warmth and hope. Since your stress and grief affects both you and your baby, please actively divert yourself. Avoid being alone and seek the company of people who make you happy and cheerful. All the best!

shravs3, ratan, salad and 3 others like this.
  5. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

@Starkgirl We hear you. I can see you already got some wonderful advice.

All I can add is, in life, in general, there are issues we can do something about (in our control) and there are issues we cannot do anything about. Issues in the first bucket, do all that you can, give it your best and then whatever result you know you gave it your best so there will be no regrets whatsover. Issues in the second bucket, let go and let God. Birth and death are beyond our control. We are human.

Here, we can clearly see your baby in first bucket and mother in second bucket. Trust your mother is being taken care of by God as eventually we are all God's children. May her Soul rest in peace. Amen!

6. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone.
    I am trying my best to divert mind, I was fine last couple of days but yesterday middle of the night I had panic attack, I tried to sleep but even in sleep I was trembling with anxious thoughts, it is extremely difficult for me to control them.
    I am suffering sometime I feel guilty that even my baby is suffering, I am almost 7 months along , just want another one and half month to be uneventful, away from this anxiety... I am ready to go back on SSRI once baby comes out as my doctor (psychiatrist) fear I might go into postpartum depression and anxiety
    Can anyone tell me will this anxiety cause problems with baby’s development? Should I fear preterm labour? Placental abruption n so many other things ?

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

Sorry for your loss. It is really hard to cop up.
    You already have so much in your plate. 7th month is close. Please don't be panic. Write down your feelings in diary, talk to someone close by, go for a walk , listen to music & positive talks. Imagine your mother is going to come back through you. Feel happy about it. In short deviate yourself from the thought and stress. Just break the thought. Don't allow it to carry to next to next..

Where are you ? If you are in US normally they suggest for a group counseling. If you are in India check with your doctor if there is any support group near by.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

@Starkgirl I am not answering your questions directly because I am not a qualified doctor and also I believe these questions belong to the Second bucket (now that you are almost done with Week 30).

However, one recommendation I can make is to read this book and / or watch this documentary. They are links to Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton.

In short, if you believe something is gonna happen, by believing so you actually make it happen. Conversely, if you believe something is not gonna happen, by believing so, you could actually stop it from happening, whatever it be and btw he is a qualified doctor. Hope this helps.

Starkgirl and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Starkgirl,

I do not know about the possible complications. Everything depends on your inner strength and destiny. Don't keep anticipating negative outcomes. People in worst situations have successfully survived and emerged winners. Keep yourself positive and do all that is required to keep your mind calm and pleasantly diverted.

Please have some elders around, if possible, to give you the much needed TLC. You may use non invasive hypnotherapy, some suitable meditation technique, chanting or something creative to tide over the current crisis till delivery. Once the baby enters the world, you may not find any time to even think about yourself for a while. Don't entertain any negative thoughts; stay positive and strong. My prayers are with you.

PS: zentangle doesn't call for a lot of artistic talent but it is creative and can help you calm down and reach even a meditative state. Indirectly, it may help your baby too! Chanting/listening to your favourite prayer repeatedly also has meditative effects.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  10. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you.
    I like to read , I have started reading also music helps me to calm down. I can handle my anxiety during day time but it is the night which I dread the most.... my DH and dad is very supportive , they understand my issues and doing all they can to help me. My psychiatrist wants me to start medication which is Type D (big NO No during pregnancy) he thinks it is perfectly ok to take them as risk of not taking them is more but my gynac totally against it wants me to handle my anxiety on my own.
    I need help if not medication something else ( I don’t know what) , I wouldn’t have worried if I wasn’t pregnant but I don’t want any of this impact my baby.
    Top of everything I have been advised for bed rest and ter is little I can do to divert my mind lying in bed all day, after sometime all my anxiety comes back in force.
    I always tell myself this too shall pass and my baby is fine but it is the night when I am most vulnerable where I am left with my restless mind and anxious thoughts, which keeps on tell me , my baby is in danger, and I am causing it.
    I will look into counselling since medication I can’t take now.