1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extras by Women!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by hrastro, Feb 17, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sakthi akka!

Do you really have time to breath ?? Let alone sleep and cook and research ??
    I have seen you providing succor and support to so many many sisters and brothers on IL, I have always seen you responding to any distressed thread and the saisatcharitra threads (whenever I login) and on top of that you manage to do your day job + your work on the kid's education ! Meeting big shots and getting the groundwork ready! And the research !!! And housework that we cannot escape no matter how much help!!

:hatsoff - hats off is not enough - I need to find a better smiley!

Thanx again for the previous nomination, akka, I won too!

We know you by your "Extras" at IL and "Extras" in the Education world!!
    Now you have provided us with your "Basics" - home and job :) Tonnes of thankyous for participating here :)

Sairam!

Thyagarajan, tarasharma and VaniVyas like this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@brahan
    Thanx for your encouraging words!

I cant draw and paint to save my life ha ha ha but I know enough to understand them and enjoy them!!!
    And I'm waiting for that cooking blog! Having the discipline to try a new dish every week is truly difficult ! I appreciate that !!
    Hats off to you :) :hatsoff

So many of my friends have told me to start a blog on cooking as my ideas are quite different, but healthy and tasty!

So thats one more on my list in the waiting ! Dont know if I'll ever get to it :)

1 person likes this.
  3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Laks09 ,

I am so much overwhelmed by your fighting spirits! It appears, if needed you will even challenge God for the sake of your son, like Savitri did for her husband Satyawan in mythology! I am so touched when you said," I am so happy to hear my son saying "wain " for rain" You are simply a great mother, a great woman, a great wife, and a great yourself! Not only me, the whole IL family is proud of you, feels for you.

Dear @Saisakthi Sister, this thread by dear @hrastro , has given me another opportunity to appreciate you as a person, as a motivator and your devotion to Sai Baba. Of course, what you had not written here, and I know about you, is how you redeemed your family's honour financial stability through your sacrifice and responsibility as the eldest daughter, before your marriage.

Dear @Shanvy , the "Tiger mom with a hawk like vision", bravo! what a great mom you are! Only a dedicated mother's determination can defy the medical science and make her gravity defying son to run and to play cricket! Your son will be a star with a mother so solidly behind him!

I myself being a mother,even at the risk of being looked at as self praising, with what words we can praise every mom, woman who have written in this thread! We see Goddess Sakthi in the form of a mother! We moms are taller than Everest, deeper than the ocean, harder than the diamond, and as kind as Baba!

Bless you all my dear Sisters, bless you dear @hrastro , to have brought out these great souls and heroes, working behind the four walls of their home!

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa Sir -

You do know I enjoy your snippets about life and spirituality although I may not always respond!! I am honored that you visited my thread and contributed here!!

Yes, in this day, many men think it is enough to contribute financially ! And many of us women understand that the corporate world doesnt leave any energy to be a happy husband and father - and we women try to do as much as we can to compensate that gap !

I complete any and all DH's jobs on weekdays - calls to inlaws, bills, repairs, grocery shopping, booking tickets, finances etc so that when DH is free in weekends, he spends maximum time just relaxing with family and friends - sometime he cooks his special dish, sometime my son will ask him to participate in some project or ask him to take him to the book store ! Thats the only time my son gets to spend with DH - so I ensure it is rich and enjoyable!

I appreciate that you work with terminally ill patients and the homeless ! Whether they need money or not, they need the human touch, and who better than Viswa to spend time with!!

Truly humbled to know that reading my post was motivating for you !!! Thank you for those words!!!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@hrastro,

When I said, you look making money seem easy, the emphasis was on "seem" not on the actual effort but the effect it has on the onlooker. Just like Mark Waugh's batting or Madhuri's dancing or our own Aria's english! Seems very easy to the onlooker, obviously has come with tons of effort and talent.

I do understand how hard it can be making money especially if you don't belong to the IT/ITES sector. At one point of time I was juggling 3 different jobs, one of the job owners owed me Rs150 for a copy that I wrote for him, he had me walking to his door for 3 months before he finally paid me! All for Rs.150 and I am not talking of the 1940's!

So earning money is never an easy task, yes. HOwever being chained to the money machine and having it run our lives is what many of us are doing. You on the contrary, have charted your life on your terms making money-making incidental to living, which is how it should be!

2 people like this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I'm impressed!
    Work and studies at the same time ?? I did that 8 years back - work and MBA - with a toddler at home!! Appreciate the difficulties !!

And Animal welfare too!! Everyone talks about it - but not many take any action - or they give it up as being too difficult in this busy life!
    :hatsoff

1 person likes this.
  7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Wow, so many happy faces and their proud families. Very positive thread.

One common thing comes to my mind, such a dedicated human beings. Your families are very lucky to have you. You deserve the best in life.

3 people like this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy
    What can I say !! I am in tears, I cant see what I'm typing! I can definitely wait for the essay !

Only a dedicated mother can stand behind her child and egg him on to success and change the definition of impossible!!

When my son was immobile last year, so many friends, relatives, son's teachers and even my DH said why do you want to make him study, let him lose the year - I said he can read, he can write with gaps, he can sit in the wheel chair - the rest I am there I will take care !!

If he still has to repeat 5th standard because of lack of attendance, then at least he would have tried and he would be busy instead of thinking about his immobility!

On the first day of FA1, only my son and DH supported me and we went to school - my DH carried him from the car and made him sit on the wheelchair - so many curious kids asking questions why is he like that, will he ever walk, what happened? My son was embarrassed and wanted to escape - but once the ice broke, the kids would make way for the car, they would open the school main door for us, they would help carry the bag or hold the wheelchair when we took him out of the car - some of his friends used to wait for him in the lobby where he would write the test!

After every test, the principal would ask - when is he returning to school and we said, after next checkup the doctors will tell he can walk - and then we would go for the checkup and the doctors would say - another surgery! And I would be at school with yet another medical certificate and pleading with the teachers and principal and getting notes and completing his activities for FA.

After 5 surgeries, he finally limped into class for FA-4 ! He had hardly 10 days attendance in school last year, but got 86% and looking at his fighting spirit, the principal and teacher finally made his report card with minimum attendance and cleared him to 6th std.

Now my friends and relatives and DH say thank god you were able to focus on his medical, surgeries, his nutrition and also his studies - so he didnt lose the year!
    By baba's grace he is normal now!

My 1 year compared to your 17 years @Shanvy !! You deserve a standing ovation!

Standing Ovation1.gif

@suryakala sister You are right! Durga ma is not a figment of imagination ! She lives in every woman, wife, mother and daughter!
    I'm also glad I started this thread - we are seeing so many forms of Devi ma - Aadi shakthi the powerful Goddess !!
    Thanx @suryakala sister for pointing out that @Saisakthi akka forgot to mention herself as the daughter who brought out her family from the brink of collapse!

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro i am an ordinary sahm, who could not work for various reasons after marriage. Before marriage I have worked and also i have been the sought after person to teach some of the programming languages of those days i had the opportunity of being paid handsomely on a hourly basis in the early 90's which was a great sum. i have also got opportunities of going abroad in those days, but could not take them then..but no regrets..some choices are made taking into consideration what we are/we have/we can /at that point..and i can't work now because of my debilitating spinal injury and the numerous surgeries that have taken their toll on my health. my family just wants me to enjoy..

to put it in my dd’s words, “Mom, just enjoy your life with us, enough of the slogging, I sometimes wonder how you have put up with two hormone raging teenagers, and kept your sanity when you have your other issues clouding your thinking..”.

So have taken care of sick for many years that i know so much about dialysis, blood banks,and more. i still can and do organize a blood donor if needed from my small circle. i have raised around 2-3 lakhs along with my husband cash for my friend (about whom there is a prayer thread)

with an absentee husband, i do double the work on some days. banks, savings, investment, property issues. have done from the registration stage to occupation of my flat single handedly (i know there are many out there who can do the same.), to filing fir’s to retrieving lost documents have handled them single handedly in a very male centred zones. Have handled health issues, surgeries and more for myself and the kids alone.(I know many do it but the icing for me is my husband says if I could concentrate on my career and come this far it is because of the efficient way things get handled.)

I have guided a lot of people on this forum and through pm in their real estate investment. for some till getting their loans without expecting anything in return. it was just a learning process. i stopped it for personal reasons, though i still do that for my very close friends or husband's friends.

Learnt the nuances of carnatic music (I am just a kelvignanam..learning from listening and observing) to help my daughter. Have learnt to coach my dd with her drawing and painting by learning it from youtube and other medium, even iL. Have never sent her to classes for drawing or painting after a bitter experience of the teacher taunting my son for not being able to draw well comparing him to his sister little realizing he was 3 years younger.

I do my own herbal hair wash,face wash powders and herbal hair oil. I mill my own multigrain, health mix and the regular stuffs. Baking is at home, as I am against any preservative because it messes with my kids health..so I learnt adaptive and modified baking, through trials and errors. You can see some in the Indian balanced meal thread. Millets and the many forms and more. Any body in my close circle has a doubt, they ping me.

I used to have a big garden in the complex. Gardening is something I am passionate. I make my own compost using all the waste that can be recycled and grow flowers, greens and vegetables and yes mainly herbs that heal and have posted pictures of that garden in the gardening forum. Now I have moved to a smaller place and have just 10 pots in which I have regular herbs and few greens. I still do my talking with them much to the fun of my kids.

I do poojas, learn slokas along with the real meanings, the bhava and the history behind them. It helps in explaining to my kids.

I repair, sew buttons and wash and send the dresses to the orphanage I patronize. I call and promote the orphanage that I patronize.

I knit and crochet when I can. These days I do not do much as I would want to do.

I read a lot. From philosophy to fiction, like to feel that brain is not going blunt with the mundane chores of everyday.

I have and do take courses on coursera just to understand and learn things better, learning after all is a life long process.

My personal satisfaction

this is something that I do for my personal satisfaction. Not that it is great..but yes something that keeps me grounded and teaches my kids that you need to think before you spend..

I save from my allotted budgets every month, and the savings go into a different account.

I save from what I could have spend say if I walk to a place, or take a train I take away the money that I should have actually used to do that (my husband gets wild that I do this but then he understands’) i bind my kids' books and save considerably at the starting of the year and to my savings,

AT the starting of the year between jan-march, I ask around for a child whom I can sponsor the fees and books. So I accumulate all the savings and give it as a lumpsum amount towards paying schools fees and books. It comes to a considerable amount that can help even with the uniform or stationery for the whole year, and having been doing it for a few years now. This year have done the deed.

I have this target of paying my son’s college fees, the first year through my savings, for some emotional reason, and I save for it from possible ways, that I can think of, be it from the markets I sometimes dabble or the interest from some instrument, I will be having amount ready by 2016 march in time for his college..

I exercise everyday, well almost everyday, because of all my health issues which is a open secret here. I want to do my chores and be able to walk on my two legs as far as possible, as far as my legs can handle (because I have been warned )

And the last one, I call up over phone every now and then some of the old couples, parents or in-laws of friends who stay alone here. They just need an ear to share living all alone here. I get my two minutes of happiness of doing something nice for them and in turn get loads of their blessings which has been keeping me float..

Being with family, being there for my family are my priorities and they can never be extras and it holds the same for all of us be it men or women.

WE human being's are very resilient and have it in us to process, assimilate and conquer even the dire situation with a little effort. sometimes we let go just a few steps before the winning post.

@RAgini25 hope you don’t pull my leg again for essay..
    @hrastro..done..

10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy ! I am speechless!

I know all of your multiple aspects from your threads over the past 7-8 years - the dutiful DIL, the tiger mom, the kind word here, the prayer there, the spiritual discussion, the added story, the humor, the musically informed, the proud mom of the very talented daughter, the home baker, the "sans rice" thread, the healthy cook, the enthusiastic gardener, the efficient wife with a long distance marriage, the real estate expert and the humility!!!

And I still learnt a few new aspects of yours - I didnt know about the face packs and hair oils and knitting and crocheting and the singer :)

What an inspiration you are Shanvy!! I bow to you!

Thanx for writing the essay (No complains from @Ragini25) I hope maximum ILs read your essay!

I'm sure many women struggling with multiple issues will gain support and motivation from you to move ahead in life !