1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extra-curricular Activities For Starters

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Naari, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

I recently started receiving a lot of paperwork from different groups in DD's school relating to extra curriculars like early STEM training, drama, music, visual arts, swimming etc. She is a kindergartner. A lot of these classes/courses run for kids attending Kg to G3 or G4. So, I was thinking the same courses would be offered again next year & so on, which she would be eligible to attend. So, wondering if DD is too young for this & maybe we shd opt for this next year.

So, experienced parents pls share what extra curriculars did you involve/train your child in and at what age?
    Also, I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that how can a course be the same for Kg child and G3 kid since those are the eligible ages for most of these courses? Is there individualized training maybe?

Thanks again!

2. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Wow I have a long way to go but I feel the pressure already after reading this :astonished:. I enrolled my son into swimming and soccer at the age of 3. Swimming because it's an essential life saving skill that he must know. Also , parents get to swim in the adults pool so we make use of that time. .That's about it for now . I a not sure if I will enroll my kids into STEM at an early age . I am more into music , sports and other extra curricular activities than structured academics . I am thinking of getting both my kids into music or vocals and basic martial arts especially for DD once they are a bit older .
    My friend runs a C programming classes in our local temple for kids starting grade 3 and his classes are always full . I wonder what's the rush to learn so much at this age .

Why are you leaning towards ? Find what your DD's interests are instead of following the herd.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    sindmani, shyamala1234, Naari and 2 others like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

swimming class.

Naari likes this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Don't feel pressured. At the age of 3? I am under tremendous pressure now! j/k

DD is leaning towards creativity arts and crafts for now. Little interest in the regular academics. I bring her kid art activity kits from Michael's, which she spends hours happily working on and stays excited. She loves painting, not good with free hand drawing (can say from her little stick figures;)).
    She loves creative apps on tablet and makes designs beautiful Toca Minis (an app to create a character with dress design and hair design). She makes impressive dresses with intricate detail with great color combos in fraction of seconds & every Toca is unique:eek: I really think she might be gifted in creativity esp designing, but too early to judge or say. Let me post a couple designs if I can..

I am leaning towards art classes & skills like swimming and skiing ..STEM .. not even sure

Sunburst likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Both my kids were enrolled in swimming when they were less than a year old. It was a parent and tot session. My daughter is now now 5 + and she goes swimming with the coach.
    We started Ballet, gymnastics simultaneously when she was 3 and half. In summer, we stopped ballet and gym but joined soccer and horse riding.

So yes...3.5 years (JK) is when things started getting a bit busy for us.

Naari likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Are these offered on school campus afterschool or outside of school?

7. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Mine wants to go for swimming, so planning her for a swimming class... she is 4....

She also wants to join yoga, so hopefully next year....
    She says she hates dance, so not joining for that... whats the point when i know she doesnt like n wont enjoy...

Maybe when she is 5 or so for drawing class

Naari likes this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

On school campus after school

9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Impressive kid! She seems to exactly know what she wants to do..

Dd is fascinated by ballerinas , so she has mentioned a couple times that she wants to learn ballet.

Last I asked her she wants to be a tooth fairy when she grows up.:eek: So swimming & paragliding are skills she will need. So those are definitely on the list!:lol:

nandinimithun and Archanaanchan like this.
  10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

These days kids are smart and know their choices....

Mine loves to dance at home or a frees style one, hates to join a class...

Aww tooth fairy, thats so cute, is ur DD a peppa pig fan