1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Expressive Language Disorder

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by amchennai, May 9, 2017.

1. amchennai

amchennai Senior IL'ite

Hi Mommies, If you had a toddler with expressive language delay, At what age did your child with expressive language delay start speaking in full sentences and started participating in conversations?

P.S: My son 3 yrs 10 months is diagnosed with expressive language delay. As per the speech therapist his language skill is still that of a 2 year old. We are going for speech therapy now. He still exhibits echolalia. I am just trying to understand if there is a possibility for them to catch up with their peers. If so in what age your child did. (I understand each child is different but I just wanted to hear your story so that I can have more hope) Thank you.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I dont know much about these conditions. I have noticed that many kids with multi lingual back grounds starts taking well by 4 years. Is he ok in all other aspects of interaction/activities like his peers. Then I hope he will pick up. My son started taking well using full sentences only by 4 years (my dd started taking well by 2.5 years). We use our mother tongue in home, but shifted to mostly to English to help him.
    I didnt consult anyone as his teachers in daycare told us that he appears quite normal to them. If you have a chance, try to make him interact with kids older than him. Anyway keep working with speech therapist and I am sure he will pick up

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    amchennai likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

It will vary from each kid.
    You are already doing speech therapy.

amchennai likes this.
  4. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

My second son was diagnosed with mixed expressive-receptive language disorder when he was same age as your child. He's 10 years old now and just recently had a lead role for his school play (Adventures of a Comic Book Artist):cry::cry::cry:. Speech therapy, Kumon, private tutoring for homeworks (if you're not patient enough), nightly reading, and some sports activities will help alot. My son progressed well when he was about 7 to 8 years old. Also, from experience, foods rich in choline like eggs or nutritional supplement that contains them like Enfagrow or Complan improves the speech.

Vaikuntha, sokanasanah and amchennai like this.
  5. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

Hi there can you please read my recent post and let me know what you think... Iam hoping to get some valuable inputs in b my scenario thank you

Autism Or Speech Delay?

6. amchennai

amchennai Senior IL'ite

Thank you for sharing. He seems to be okay in other aspects to a certain extent but has difficulty interacting with other kids bcoz they speak German and he speaks very little english. I would say in motor skills he may be behind an average kid his age by 6 months. But in general he does try and likes to interact with other children. We too switched to English to help him as he prefers that language.

7. amchennai

amchennai Senior IL'ite

Thank you for your response. You are right that patience is needed. Me and my husband seem to be more stressed because without language the little one gets frustrated very easily and we require much patience and with no family help here we are in a difficult place presently :(. Praying for strength so that we can be a strong pillar for him and help him better. Kudos to you for being there for your son and helping him have the confidence to take part in plays.
    Thank you the food suggestions will keep that in mind going forward. My son is a very picky eater and still doesn't chew his food well. He expects me to feed him all the time. I am searching for options to help him eat rice by himself. Hope everything falls into place.

momsky likes this.
  8. amchennai

amchennai Senior IL'ite

Yes he is in speech therapy now. And yes we understand each child is different but wanted to hear other mom's experience for encouragement. :) thank you.

9. amchennai

amchennai Senior IL'ite

Hi, An update on my speech delayed son. There has been many changes in the past one year for him. Nowadays he is speaking much better than how he was( English not our mother tongue) , it happened suddenly a few months after we stopped his speech therapy (he went only for 2.5 months) and when he was on a break from preschool. He is expressing himself with 3 to 4 words sentences and is able to play with other children. We recently moved to US, so the English environment is helping better than the German one. But recently we are facing a new problem with him. He has started pushing other kids and even elders if he isn't getting his way or when he finds it difficult to Express himself. He is not listening to us even if we explain to him many times in different possible ways that pushing other kids is wrong. Also he seems to hold on to hurt much longer and doesnt move on especially if it's some kid who has hurt him.

Have any of you faced this problem? Anger and aggressive behavior... it isn't at its peak just past 2 months has been hard trying to make him understand pushing is wrong. We don't know how to get to him. Any help is appreciated.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Good. Your son is improving in speech.
    I think delay could be a reason for the behavior.
    Look into ABA therapy.
    Check with ur insurance if they will cover.

amchennai likes this.