1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Explaining Vegetarianism ,what to choose.. why "X",and not "Y".

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by racr, Oct 16, 2013.

1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Ok,let me put in this disclaimer in first - This is not a post about Vegetarianism Vs..Non-Veg...merits,demerits,the moral or environmental aspects . I have involved in more than enough of such arguments(discussions?!) ,debates..without wishing to be so!

This post is triggered by a question a friend asked me recently,as to how she could make her toddler understand the concept of vegetarianism,what he should say no to,if offered,say,a sausage at school. I told her that it might be a good idea to talk to the people in charge,probably provide a letter in writing with regard to dietary preferences. Her toddler might be too young to understand such things right now.

That set me thinking...I can only speak from my experience of raising one daughter,not much exposure to other kids. For me,vegetarianism is a way of life,and if I had the freedom to make a choice(which I seem to have now),I would still choose to be what I'm. I have explained my beliefs and all that I know about Vegetarianism to my daughter.My DD seems to endorse my views,and as she has a tender spot for all creatures(Except roaches),she is quite vocal about her choice of diet!

When the question is being on one side or the other,it might be much more simple to explain and adopt (something like the simple flowchart with options "Y" or "N"!).On the other hand,if one is to abstain from consuming certain kind of meats,depending on faith or ideology.. I really wonder how a parent would explain to his/her toddler that it is fine to eat Meat X but not Meat Y. How would you do it? Looking at the big picture,this is a situation one would face daily,as a parent.If X is ok,why not Y?!

P.S.: What do you all think about this auto-suggestion of "Posts you might find useful" -I find them so
    irritating! Some of them are quite irrelevant,and I think I can find out myself whats "useful" or not ,thank you!

1 person likes this.

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I explain why we don't eat beef ( being hindus and what we believe in) and we are ok eating chicken and fish. When my kids were younger I was either with them to guide them and once they started play school I looked at they menu and told them that my kids will be taking the vege choice on days they were serving beef. I also gave them written letter for this. Play schools have a vege menu for kids who are vegetarian and if that is not an option then I would have packed lunch for them for that day.

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Racr, this is a great question. I would like to know the answer, too. I look forward to some good explanations.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Amen to that... I am quite pissed off actually, first its not always relevant and second of all its quite annoying...

5 people like this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I tried explaining this to myself why I eat x and cant eat y. I gave up and started eating all. Sorry, not much of an advice but i think i had it easy since our family as a whole eat everything (red and white meat)

1 person likes this.
  6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I am a vegetarian and I am not in a situation of being bomabarded with questions that needs some serious explanation, my daughter is a toddler :)

But we talk to her about how we love all animals - farm, wild animals and how we need to be kind to these animals and protect them in ways we can. I am thinking of expanding this thought as she grows and thus telling her, thus our choice to be a vegetarian.

The easy route is always to say that its mean and hurtful to eat meat, but I think that is very judgemental especially when her friends would be carnivores... I guess you need to find ways to not hurt others but at that same time if possible pass in ur beliefs.

1 person likes this.
  7. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Exactly..its easier to explain when you are on this side or the other! All or nothing!

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

racr, i think its easy only for people who eat everything, specifically speaking of North America. Most of the people here eat meat. if we say, 'we are hurting animals by eating meat' they might say that at school which will become a big scandal as it would come acorss as being extremely judgmental.

9. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

follow the ancestors: "Because I said so!":rotfl kidding.

3 people like this.
  10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

We (as a family) are 70% vegetarians and 30% non-vegetarians.You ask me how???
    well we eat vegetarian food 5days a week and non veg during weekends.
    I dont eat non veg but i dont want my son to turn into a complete vegetarian like me.The reason being meat(red and white),eggs etc have their advantages.Our body finds it easier to absorb iron from meat compared to leaves like spinach.So i endorse both veg and non veg food(including red meat).
    So though i am a veggie i cook red meat...white meat...and everything else at home...sigh!

And thanks for your review on useful links.The site will be upgraded soon.And so you will see such small changes in the coming days.Our Admin is trying to refine this plug in and soon you'll find really "useful" links in original posts. :)

1 person likes this.