1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences (and Triumph Over) Pruritus (severe Body Itch)

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ChennaiExpress, Aug 26, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

For more than year and half, my Dad has endured extreme itching, known as pruritus. It's all over his body, but mainly on scalp.

We tried oral benadryl, other topical medicated creams, but no luck. The Dermatologist was really sweet and accommodating, but unfortunately, nothing worked :-(

Then I saw that Prevacid rare side effect is pruritus, so Dad stopped (because long-term use of Prevacid also weakens bones). The pruritus reduced somewhat, but still not out of the woods.

Yesterday we saw commercial for Dupixent. It is an injection to treat severe to moderate eczema, especially the itchiness that comes along with it.

I'm trying to determine of Dupixent will relieve itching (without the eczema). If we ask Dr, they are inclined to say "Yes", because they will get money.

Here is press-release that FDA approved this drug

FDA approves new eczema drug Dupixent

Can any of you ladies (or gents) offer advice that may help my Dad.

2. Imani

Imani New IL'ite

I am not a medical professional and I do not consider myself an expert in pruritus or medications. However, I have noticed that while I do not get hives I get very itchy due to allergens especially foods. It is such a challenge to identify them, so I wondered if you all had looked into allergies especially food based ones. Best wishes!