Exp about Sharjah Driving License

Discussion in 'Personal Services in Sharjah' started by mybaby1, Mar 30, 2013.

1. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

HI,

I am thinking of applying for a driving license from shj as own visa from here. Ladies who have got DL from sharjah pls share your experience and inputs and hoe many attempts you made..pls it will be great help..:bonk

2. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

re: Exp about Sharjah Driving License

I am too in the same boat. have you applied or still thinking :)

3. kewlzany

kewlzany New IL'ite

Hi,
    Saw your post just today.. perhaps you have already appplied for license and got it as well? :D Anyways, I'll share my experience. I haven't got my license yet but I've started my classes. I finished parking test last week which was a breeze. Took 3 parking lessons and I was confident to go for the test and went ahead. Could be that I've got 10 years of experience driving in India. Anyways, for women its easier because men have written exam and we don't. When I went there, one of the ladies showed me a paper with all the signs and pointed at a few.. about 4 or 5 and asked me to name what it is and khalas, it was done and then parking the car was straight parking and garage parking which was pretty cool. The officer was really nice :) I've started my road lessons now.. will give my test after few road lessons. I've heard horror stories about sharjah license and I still hear it but I think it depends on the driver because my husband passed all 3 tests in the first go.
    I've taken private lessons because they come and pick you up and its flexible. My husband had taken govt and the process was so frekkin long. They used to take classes only alternate days and even with Indian license they made him attend 40 classes which took 3 months and the instructors can be quite rude. My husband changed instructors twice. Also, we have to go all the way to muroor which is really far for me. Only advantage with govt institute is that incase you do fail you can get a test again in just one weeks time. Atleast this was how it was one and a half years back.
    Anyways, good luck to you and I hope you get your dl asap :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  4. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

hi kewlzany,

really feeling a bit gud with your reply. I haven't applied yet and I am more scared coz I don't have any driving experience as I used to drive only two wheeler back in india. pls pm me the agency with which u r getting your lessons n instructors name too I will go fr the same. pls it will be really nice of you. I m really keen to get license.n pls keep on posting your journey fr licence as its gonna help many a lot when I will join I will also do the same.
    very gud luck to u too wish you get your dl in first go :)
    thanksssss a lot

5. sumanrathi

Hi, thanks for your information;

what are all the documents required to apply for DL and if I apply today in how many days they will call me for written test. In between Ramadan is falling we have to plan accordingly.

6. kewlzany

kewlzany New IL'ite

Don't worry. You will learn quickly. If you haven't driven before then it might take a little longer because you have to be steady with the steering wheel and all that but it will be ok because for me since I've driven in India and its right hand driving there plus manual transmission, on my first day here it was a little confusing with the indicator and stuff like that but one parking lesson and I was fine. I've finished 3 road lessons and I cant tell you how easy it is driving here if you follow the rules but you have to be alert but it's easier than in India coz in India and especially from where I come from, vehicles like auto and bus just pop out of no where.
    So, I'll give you the procedure for taking private classes. I don't know the govt lesson procedure because my husband had done that a while back.
    First, you have to open a file.. for that you have to go to sharjah dirving institute which is in Muroor. Documents required.. latest tenancy contract, 2 photographs, passport with visa copy, emirates id and no objection letter from your visa sponsor.. in my case it was my husband because I'm on dependent visa. In Muroor, they have separate ladies section.. so go in there and tell them you want to open a file.. they will give you a form and you have to take the form and go to the typing centre which is in the backside of the building. They will type everything for you.. even the no objection letter which my husband signed there as he was there and they will prepare the form for you. They charge AED 25 for this. Then you go back to the ladies section and give the form back to them. They will then take eye test and blood test to know the blood group. Tell them you want private classes not govt. You pay AED 120 and they will give you a receipt and a book to learn about all the rules and regulations.
    Next, you take the receipt and go to Nasseriya, which is near Zulekha Hospital, sharjah (Private classes and instructors are all there) and give them the receipt and pay AED 120 again (I'm not sure.. my hub did that for me) and 1 photograph. They will give you a white card and send you to the typing centre which is 2 doors across and at the typing centre, they will give you a list of names of all the instructors who are of different nationalities. Indians, Arabs, Phillipinos and Pakistanis. My instructer is Leena. She's a Phillipino and shes very good. Leena, Sameera and one more Indian (forgot her name) are supposed to be the best. I took Leena because I know someone who had taken classes with her and told me she's good and also because she comes to my place and picks me up which is what I wanted. Others, did not agree for it because I live in Al Taawun and they think its far off. Anyways, once you decide on the instructor, you call them and fix a date and time. I went next day and had to go to typing centre again to fill my instructor name and stuff in the white card. Parking lessons are taken in Nasseriya itself. You may need more classes to perfect it since you don't have experience. I took 3 lessons and Leena was confident I could pass so I gave the test last Thursday. For the test, we have to go to Sharjah Driving Institute.
    So, that's my journey so far. I think I've covered everything.. if you need more info let me know.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

just awesome kewlzany. great work so much in detail... its just perfect which is going to solve my purpose..

thanks a ton dear..:)

8. sumanrathi

Thank you very much for your detail information.

How about the charges for the Private classes ?

9. kewlzany

kewlzany New IL'ite

Pleasure is mine. Charges are AED 50 per class for parking lessons and AED 60 for per class for road lessons.

1 person likes this.
  10. sumanrathi

Thanks a lot