1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Exclusive breastfeeding or supplement with solids?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Nila, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Hi all,

My son is now completed 4 months. Hurray! This is how I felt when I went to the pediatrician, expecting the doctor would ask me to start on solids!

Though the doctor was not overwelcoming about supplementing with solds, she left it to me to start giving solid food between 4 to 6 months of age. She also told me it is nice to balance between breast feeding and giving (semi)solid foods like cereal, cooked vegetales, mashed fruits, etc.

But my husband wants to me exclusively breast feed upto 6 months for he read in several sites & magazines that exclusive breast feeding till 6months would be ideal for healthy growth of the baby.

I am feeling tired and boring trying to breast feed throughout the day and night. I have a feeling my baby is also bored with breast milk throughout the day and night. Also, I feel she has an increased appetite to take solids in addition to breast milk.

Give me your opinions about whether it is better to exclusively breastfeed or introduce solids? How do I know my baby is ready for solid foods?

- Nila.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nila,
    Breast milk does not has iron and vitamin C. So you can supplement
    your child with solids very well.
    Take care.

3. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

hi nila
    my baby is 3 months old. my doctor advised me to start rice cerelac twice a day. and to continue breastfeeding for the left of the time.
    then only we get out of tired and have proper rest. so u can supplement ur baby. i think the supplement may be semi solids like cerelac. cereal, cooked vegetales, mashed fruits, etc. would be given after 5th or 6 th months only ,so confirm ur doctor.
    have a nice day.
    how is ur son? take care

seetha

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Supplements

Hi Nila,

While the idea of exclusively breast feeding till your baby is 6 months sounds great, in reality, it will not work out. As the babies grow, they need more energy and other nutrients. Breast milk lacks in Iron , so it is better to start supplementing .
    I do not know where you are based, but you can start with " sathu maavu " kanji about 2 to 3 tbs a day. Make the the sathu maavu yourself. With Rice, sago, barley. Later you can add other grains like ragi etc..... But initially just with these three. Take 2 tsp of the powder and cook it to kanji consistency. Now to this add breast milk and give. Avoid sugar as much as possible. Once you have given this for 4 days or so, then start with apple sauce. If you are in the US, you can give gerber rice cereal. But definitely start on the supplements. Your baby needs it. If you would like more details, then PM me.

Vandhana

5. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Thanks for your opinions

Hello all,

From everyones opinions looks like I better start with supplementing with semi-solids sooner.

Seetha, I am based out of the US. I don't think we get cerelac here - so my peadiatrician suggested to get started with Rice cereal first, then mashed vegetables and then mashed fruits. Juices were adviced after 6 monhts.

Vandhana, thank you for taking the time to post a detail reply and also encouraging to PM for more details. I am posting more here so that other new moms like me can also benefit with your advice.

As I said, I am based out of the US. You mentioned about 'sathu maavu' made ourselves. How do you grind barley, rice, etc. here? In the mixie or blender? Does it grind well? Can you give me the exact ingredients for "sathu maavu" to be given to my 4-month old? May be I can ask my parents visiting me end of this month to prepare and bring from India.

Would you suggest any other home made foods like sathu maavu processed & brought from India that I can use it here for my baby between 4months to 1 year?

I am planning to get started my baby on Gerber rice cereal shortly.

Regards,
    Nila

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: Sathu maavu

Hi Nila,

Initially stick to the sathu maavu that is made only with rice , barley and sago. Once your baby is 6 months you can add other grains like ragi, wheat , kambu etc... to the mix. What i do is the following:

Roast equal quantities of Rice, Barley and Sago till nice aroma comes. Then powder in the mixie. Use a nice sieve and sieve the flour so the end product is really fine. We don't want to give too much fiber right now to the baby as it may cause loose stools. Use the fine flour to make kanji. Initially start will 1 tbs of the flour to make kanji. Then you can gradually increase it. Also it is good to start with fruits and veggies too. Start with kanji the first week. Stick to the same time in the morning. Then the second week, introduce one veggie to her/him. I find that Beechnut brand sweet potato and butternut squash are the best veggies to introduce to the babies first. I was told this by my nurse and did the same for my two kids. Now they will eat anything veggies and fruits no problems.
    You can ask your parents to bring the sathu mavu from india. Once your baby is six months, then start start giving paruppu sadam etc....

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

7. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Raw rice or boiled rice?

Hi Vandhana,

Thanks for an immediate reply.

Few more doubts - should I use raw rice or boiled rice for sathu maavu?
    Also, sago is javarisi right? If I can get all this in Indian stores here and can be grind in mixie, I plan to do it myself than carrying all the way from India.

Regards,
    Nila

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Nila,

You can use raw rice . and Sago is javarsi.

Vandhana

9. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Ragi kanji

Hi Nila,

I used to give my daughter Ragi kanji right from her 4th month onwards. Ragi is supposed to be rich in Iron and hence helps the baby gain weight. It was told by my kid's doctor. But the process of making Ragi kanji was told by my mother - the traditional way. My mom used to clean up the Ragi removing any stones or other impurities. (Probably you could get the processed and cleaned up Ragi in Indian store near your place. ) I used to stock it in my refrigerator.

Befor going to bed i used to take a spoonful of Ragi and soak it in water. Next morning first thing when I get up in the morning, I wld grind the soaked ragi to extract the Ragi milk. To that i add sufficient water and make kanjiby boiling it in sim for 5 minutes. You could finally add a pinch of salt or a pinch of jaggery depending on your child's preference. I gave my kid jaggery as she liked sweet better and also it is better than sugar.

But avoid giving jaggery when the child is having cold as it would increase the congestion. jaggery also rich in Iron and it enhances the kanji taste.

Then after my kid was 8 months old I started with sathu mavu kanji and till date I give her that once in a day mixed with curd or milk.

Hope u have the patience to try the above recipie.
    Yes it might seem to be lot of work but it is a good supplement to start for your baby.

if you do not have the patience or time to extract ragi milk daily, you could always get powdered ragi in any Indian store using which u cld make kanji.

but the first method gives a milky translucent texture that the baby would love it.

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

dear Nila,
    please look up the thread Food for 6 month old baby. You have enough ideas in that thread. I have also given some tips in that. I do not want to repeat them. Happy feeding.