1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Excess Baggage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Years ago, a rather well-endowed woman acquaintance of mine went on a trip to Kashmir. With some other tourists she went up the hill somewhere near Pahalgam. Unable to walk, she hired a pony . The pony initially resisted her advances but later gave in and allowed her to climb on it.
    As soon as she mounted the pony, the poor beast let out a pathetic neigh and collapsed letting out copious quantities of urine and foaming at the mouth.. It mercifully survived and the lady also got away without being hauled for cruelty to animals.
    I remembered this incident when I boarded an Indian Airlines flight a couple of years ago. Couple of hostesses were of the same size, if not bulkier than my friend. At least one of them had to move between the aisles sideways..
    Unlike the private airlines where the stewardesses wore skirts, t the ones in the Indian Airlines plane were dressed in saris. Otherwise I would have been treated to the unedifying spectacle of ;couple of banyan tree trunks moving through the plane.

With such tonnage, it is a miracle that the planes managed to take off. No wonder the such planes often land soon after takeoff as they develop snags. The real snags are inside the plane in the form of these honorary members of hippopotamus club.

So I was really relieved when the airline (now called Air India domestic or something of that sort) grounded overweight stewardesses.

Why, oh why, can’t the state-run airlines hire svelte stewardesses, so lithe that the lousy airline food, when served by them would taste like manna from heaven?

But a government airline is a government airline. The government believes in equality. In its eyes everyone employed by it from lower division clerks to stewardesses are equall (though some are a lot more equal than others). So is it surprising that often it is difficult to tell the difference between a stewardess and a sweeperess in a government office?
    Of course often the stewardess is better dressed but most of the time the sanitary workers outshone them.

But on second thoughts l think that it is unfair to ground the fat ladies. There are much better alternatives to make them shape up.

Like the passengers are charged for excess baggage, the stewardesses should be asked to pay for excess weight since that is another kind of excess baggage. Deductions should be made from their wages on the basis of per kilo excess weight. The amount can be equal to the excess baggage charges paid by the passengers. .

Loss of money will really send alarm bells ringing. And soon you will find the state run airline swarming with really slim and gym-toned stewardesses.. If they still remain heavyweights, they can be recommended to the American professional wrestling circuit, formerly known as World Wrestling Federation. With out own Khali we wouldl have his female counterparts too.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Good one.Yes excess luggage should be charged anmd it is then they will learn a lesson.

Chinese Airlines want the passengers to use the toilet at the Airports itself,so that flushing is avoided in the flights which eats up so much petrol,every pound matters on a flighjt, so yr idea makes sense to me.

Very wuitty and lovely blog, as only u can write .

REgards.

kamal

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Balajee,

I think even police force shd enforce "shape up or ship out". You see them struggling to walk with pot belly,unable to move their body, while the call of duty needs them to be prompt and quick.

Some continental airlines too have some intimidating stewardess who tower over you and literally we need to beg them for a drink.

The excess baggage comes in when life becomes easier
    Jaya

4. geetabhaskar

geetabhaskar Senior IL'ite

I fully agree with Jpatma, regarding excess weight among our police force.
    See how odd they look with their pot-belly. With this belly present, they just about manage to button their shirts. And this button appears as if it will burst open any time.
    The so called administration/authority feels it odd to have heavy weight air crew on board a plane, but does not bother about weight correction among policemen. Not at all fair. Despite going through rigourous training etc. why do policemen put on weight. How can they remain fit then. Something must be done to see that they remain in shape so that they can carry out their duties efficiently. That is some wishful thinking. Ok signing off now.

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Most interesting idea. Charge them for the weight they carry. However, let's remember then that overweight passengers too need to be charged extra. Otherwise it would be unfair, right? At the time of checking in, each passenger should be weighed. And if this can be done, then not only the airlines staff, but a large fraction of the population can be trimmed down. Wouldn't that be lovely?

oj

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear balajee,

I second oj das opinion......if u want the air hostesses to be slim and chic..no excess weight on the passengers either ,...ie if your concern is truly for the load the planes have to carry.:)...
    mindi.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, if we accept Oojantrik's idea even overweight pasangers would be charged extra. I think yours is a borderline case. Better shape up before someone in authority tries to implement such an idea!

8. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

As far as my memory goes...i think in US they were thinking of implementing charges on overweight passangers along with excess baggage on domestic flights.

Currently someone was saying that US has already started charging on the first bag too.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jaya I am surprised that the airlines zeroed in only on the female staff. Are there no overweight stewards? What should be done with them? But if we start applying this rule to cops, the law and order machinery will collapse because while you see a lot of mean cops, lean ones are rare.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Geeta, not just the police there are people in a whole lot of fields who need to lose weight. To enable the cops to shed tons we can make them work as railway porters for some time. We can also make airline staff do the porter routine. What better way to lose weight than climb up and down carrying heavy loads?