1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Every woman needs to have her own financial independence

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Ragini25, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I beg to disagree. Or do I mean, I am happy to disagree. :) Or do I mean, I am not anybody. :)

Gym, jogging outside, volunteering, running errands, library, campaigning for Obama locally..... not depressing at all.

6 people like this.
  2. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Meeting other people with who you interact without an agenda/baggage is important. Volunteering/campaigning counts as working outside the home...

3. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Good question! My observation - doesn't mean she cannot progress in her career. Every one starts off with humble beginnings to excel. But if the initial pittance demotivates or does not break-even I'd still recommend to join the work force. Statistically, after the initial take-off everyone soars! This should not deter her from taking up work in the first place.[/JUSTIFY]

4. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

There are families, where the home maker gets her husband's entire salary, every month and she decides everything including husband's monthly expenses.

4 people like this.
  5. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

What is your defn of financial independence? Do I contribute nothing by staying home to care for kids? Even though I'm not working at the moment, I have total financial freedom. One of the reasons lots of kids go wayward is because of both parents working..and not spending quality with them.

4 people like this.
  6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i just want to ask what about those women who are financially indepentent without working............my hubby gives me his whole salary to save or spend as i want..........asks me to remitt to my own saving account whenever we remit to India .........buys a house which is registered in my own name ........what with woman like me.

its dilemma i face many a times.i am financially independent,have no problems like being bored at home or depressed and above all i have this moral issue of why should i do a job which might be a source of income of a whole family .
    my kids are now very nicely settled in school & grown up enough that they can go without mom for few hours but there seems to be no push for doing job.

and above all i don't buy the logic of wasting education by sitting at home.i never went for education as just a mean of earning money.it was supposed to make me a better person .

the only issue i have with people who look down on you just because you don't work but here also my mind revolts & says since when have you started caring what people say.

sindmani, dashami, apaasn and 9 others like this.
  7. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

I am talking from my childhood experience when my mother was working

1) i had burn my face when i was 6 yrs of age as i had to boil water on gas to take bath .. and i didnt have anyone to tell .... i jus slept crying in pain...After this i always had bath with cold water
    2) Never had breakfast in my life from school till i was 16yrs as my parents didnt have time
    3) i scored low marks as i didnt have any one to tell me to do my homework
    4) i had hurt my leg and could not bend it for one month in school time but still did all things on my own
    5) Never had a healthy lunch in my school time as what i could prepare was jus Maggi noodles
    6) never took a tiffin as no one prepared it for me ...ate unhealthy stuff from school time ..no option if i liked it or not

this list is long

From childhood i have developed a feeling that i really have no one of my own and i am alone

Being independent is important but at what cost it should be ???

3 people like this.
  8. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Here the idea is not just MAKING MONEY(to its currency worth).
    The idea is to stand on their own feet while those two feet carrying a fully filled courage, self confidence, ability to drive the things(let it be a day caring or street sweeping.. there is a word called Dignity of Labor, we should respect it). Financial Independence, I read indirectly as "independence of everything as a human". The ability to answer anything with head held high..
    Coming to your point of Woman getting the packet of currency at the end of month from Husband and managing it. Its just an ART that she is displaying(by properly distributing the value(of money) towards the required value(of using money for needs)). This is totally different from having her courage and self respect in spending her OWN earning. Of course, its her family money that she is managing. But she is not making it to feel it.

I am a firm believer of self dependency for any person/animal/bird .. what not?. I push my kid every day to do her own jobs like taking shower by herself, brushing her own teeth, selecting her own dress, her own preference of make up etc. What if she goes for a camp with her school, how does she do her own shower? What if one day she needs to stay at a friend's place for a reason, who does brush for her?. Also I push as many things as to my wife (if its not causing physical stress) since by practicing the things, we learn a lot. Here it doesnt mean that I SHIFT the responsibility from me to her.

What is the out come of buying a pencil, sharpening it and giving it to my daughter when she has asked for a pencil, instead of giving some money to her, asking her to go to the shop, buy it, sharpen it and use it(we need to follow her while she is doing this since she may do some mistakes by being a learner). This is what we need. Doing the things independently.

Coming to the finance is also the SAME. Making our own money and spending it for our own use(and also for others use at our own will).
    In our yesterday's Indian society(even small part of today as well), females are classified or considered as a burden for males some where in their life cycle(dependent of parents/husband/sons etc). This is all because, all male dominated culture took away her brain food to think and get smart. Its not gonna be happening any more in tomorrow's world. Every daughter, ever wife, every mother must be educated to the core and self dependent. Emotions comes later, reality is present.

I was thinking of this 20% of the husband's salary to be paid to wife law(on the other thread). Instead of this law from the jokers, why not the same jokers can have a piece of mind to draft a law in which
    All parents/husbands MUST give the education to their female family members till they are graduated and trained to work and earn. If it was not done, the father/husband's earnings must be fortified towards the girl's education/career till they can earn. This law is more practical than that joke of 20% salary to a wife by the husband.

How practical it is?
    Many of the middle class and moderately educated families are doing this(at least parents) these days, so there is no issues from them. But all these poor and low class(economically or educationally) families has to strive more to pay for their girl kid's education, which is good for their future. Husbands gets their starting point of responsibility to EDUCATE their young wife instead of making them as baby making machines from the day one.
    Oops!! too much to post :)

6 people like this.
  9. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

A woman should have a choice of whether she wants to work or not if it's financially possible. It does not mean the education is wasted if she does not work. With young kids. It's really tiring to work full time, do all the chores and spend quality time with family. Why should we have kids only to let other people raise them? Having kids does not make us baby making machines, it's just a natural outcome of marriage...on the other hand if a woman likes to work, and feels stresssd at home..she is not gonna make a good sahm no matter what. There is no point in a woman staying home if all she is gonna do is yell at the kids..in this case, the kids are better off in childcare centres, grandparents or other relatives.

2 people like this.
  10. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

Yes, indeed its too much to read. I lost it half way through.