Essential Stuff to carry on a long journey by car/van

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Jithiks, May 8, 2008.

1. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Almost all which has to be carried during travel is covered by you and others. I would suggest carry 1 or 2 extra bags to stuff the items which you purchase here and there
    while travelling.

Regards

Marrgg

2. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Krithika,

:cool2: thread and :hatsoffto you ...

:whistle.... what can I say .. ? :lol: Everyone have shared their tips and thoughts including YOU ..

Long Journey in Car makes me tired and Vomiting sensation Drowning... So I always have a LEMON in my list :wink: and Eucalyptus Oil for Headache and I could not miss my Hot Tea or Coffee even it is hot summer so I will carry a flask of Tea with Ginger and Cardamon ... If it has got over, some how, Hot Coffee in Cups Big Laugh...

I take some Bed Spreads so that if we find some Greeny Grass location (if we didn't find seats) then we put the Bed Spread on the Grass to make kids lie down for a while resting ...

Swim Suits for kids

Umbrella incase of sudden rain ;-)

Medical Box (containing Band-aids, Medicines, Ointments, Tonic for Cough, Fever)

Sweater or Pullover incase sudden cold wind (this is must for us as we can't believe climate now a days here)

Hope I have written which is needed ..

Thanks Krithika .. Regards, Suni ... :)

Ps: sorry for delay in reply as I didnt see this thread ... bonk

3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Marrgg,

Yes, adding extra bags is always good..and this has been a habit of mine for a long time even when we go for short day trips !

Thanks for your input !

Cheers
    Krithika

4. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Krithika
    Timely thread for car travel..we r plannin one this long weekend..

Since i have a small kid i usually pack a sep bag and place it near his car seat..he 'll have his books,color pencils,scribbling pad,miniature cars,a soft toy,spare dresses ,his fave snack items..I usually cover the back seat with towels just in case if he spills food items..

And he also has the big picture book of all the cars..So he gets excited whenever he spots the same car featured in his book.In this way he keeps himself busy..

We even used to carry a laptop and charger and play DVDs for him when hets bored..Im plannin to buy a portable DVD player..

Other than this its the same list for elders..

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

Thanks for stepping in and adding to the list of essentials !

Wonderful idea to carry a flask of hot tea or coffee- you are absolutely right, :coffeeit does taste wonderful to during summer or winter ! :drool

And yes, Lemon seems to another item that I should remember, cos I do tend to get this nauseating feeling during car drives.

Nice additions Sunitha...

Cheers
    Krithika

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Ramyanand,

Portable DVD player seems to be a nice addition to the list, provided we don't have the DVD players installed in the van.

All the items you have mentioned are absolute essentials when we have toddlers!

Thanks for your inputs!

Cheers
    Krithika

7. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the very useful info. Though I have collected most of the above list, all of you have given, I am yet to take the items like first aid kit etc. And snaks, husband have asked me to take a bare minimum as he said we could replenish it on our way.

One more small suggestion for those who are travelling in Indiaespecially during hot summer, Try to drink tender coconut whenever you feel like having a cool drink. (I dont really know whether it is available that easily as it is in the roadsides of India in other countries). If you wish to drink juices, take fresh juices, instead of the areated.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Summerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and threadssssssssss for outingg.ssss.

I likieee.. :)

All of them have got pretty much everything... BowBow

I am with AC, whenever I plan trips, I make sure I make some homemade.. be it chapathi rolls, vadas, pakodas etc as snacks..

or idly/pongal for breakfast (when we go for a one day trip.. we plan that we drive early.. so BF)

or puliyotharai, curd rice for lunch/dinner...

Food is a must for me while going on trips.. somehow I am not comfy to eat in service centers coz, oils/grills and everything might be the same ... so :mrgreen: so obviously we need to divert from the highway to restaurants nearby and mostly it will be a pain.. so I always stick with homefood during travel and once we reached the spot, look for good eatouts :)

then lots of drinks - water or lemonade or something of that sort... my patti used to say that we should keep ourselves hydrated because our body tends to slow down the process while long hauls and water helps us so much internally...

When you are going to places never been, please make sure you have all the maps.. else a GPS.. you can spend loads of time finding the track back ... always have a mapbook in the car... sometimes GPS might not give you the streetlevel detours during traffic, but a mapbook will.

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Rajmiarun,

Thanks for your inputs ! Tender coconut water is a great idea to keep us hydrated..but here we don't get it in roadsides..especially in the city where I reside in.

I usually make a lot of "Neer Mor" (spicy buttermilk) and carry it during long trips..especially when we keep it in cooler along with juices and water..it stays fresh !

Cheers
    Krithika

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Nandhu,

You are right about rice items..yes..i had mentioned it under the list too..

Our favorite pick will be for Puliyodharai (Tamarind rice) and Curd rice along with Idlis. These can be eaten warm/cold and tastes heavenly at all times !

And yes, good idea to carry lots of water/juices..especiall during hot weather. My pick as I mentioned before will be for "Neer mor" in the cooler !

Printout of maps, ready made maps from AAA or elsewhere is a good suggestion even when we have GPS in the car.

Thanks for your inputs..!

Cheers
    Krithika