Epidural And It’s Side Effects During Labour

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Janakinarne, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Hi all momies,
    I want to know about epidural,is any body went to epidural in normal delivery??
    If we took epidural it will prolong our labour??
    If we went to epidural wil it cause to c-sec at the end??
    Wil they cut the vagina area to smoother the labour if we went to epidural??
    What are the pros and cons about epidural??
    And during c-sec can we go wth epidural rather than spinal inj??
    Looking for advise frm the experienced mothers,,
    Who went through this and how far it’s useful in labour??
    Thank u

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Went for epidural during normal delivery. Had second degree tear, and it birth did take longer. I guess the bfing was difficult too, after epidural.
    Most importantly, my back - the site of epidural- didn't heal till one year after and had back pain till 6 months. I was thinking that it is the pain due to birth but it was due to epidural.
    If the pain threshold is high for you, then don't take epidural. Without epidural, the healing is very fast. I regret taking it.
    But first delivery, people are worried about unknowns. So, decide accordingly. If the doctor decides for C section, then they put you under- waist down. That is totally different thing.

Janakinarne likes this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I had epidural for my delivery. My labor was around 14 hours, but I dilated more after the epidural not before that. I had chills the night of delivery, but it went away after couple hours or definitely after waking up. I also had second degree tear, I think it is common if you have normal delivery. It took a month to heal, i think. I was up and around in 14 days or definitely after 21 days I didn't have parents with me at the time of delivery, so I was in the kitchen and doing all house hold work in less than a month. I breastfed my kid only for 8 months, she was a fussy eater. my DD is 8 yrs now. So far, I cannot recall any kind of side effects. My exercising habits improved after the delivery, so this might have affected the recovery process. I started exercising after 2 months check up and definitely felt everything normal at the 2 month check up. It could be different with different people.

Janakinarne likes this.
  4. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I posted same question when I was pregnant and got some wonderful replies:

Epidural - Your Take?

I had also replied with my update here.

Janakinarne likes this.
  5. Ishaan10

Ishaan10 Bronze IL'ite

For my first delivery i got epidural...but baby head was not in proper position so went for c section...only with epidural not with spinal...i had good post Operative pain relief with epidural...my second delivery was elective c section with spinal...i suffered a lot due to pain for two days...
    So epidural is mainly for labour analgesia n post op pain relief
    Pros: no pain
    Cons: pain is most important stimulus to push the baby...in epidural we won't have pain so we won't push the baby as needed...this will lead to prolonged labour...
    Coming for side effect of epidural - definitely it won't be the cause of back ache...main reason for back ache is lack of vitamin and calcium supplements...

Janakinarne likes this.
  6. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Second degree tear it’s due to prolonged labour or doc gav a tear??thrn after a delivery did they gav stitches for the tear??thats grt,u recorvered very soon,thanks for sharing ur exp

7. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Y u chosen epidural??bvoz ur prepared for normal delivery try,then y did u went to epidural??is it to reduce the pain or doc suggested u to go wth it??ha s am confusing wth the back pain onl some are saying they suffered a lot due to epidural are some saying they are normal..if the baby is in normal weight without epidural we can push the baby out ??
    Even i too have the doubt if we took epidural how we can push the baby out,bcoz we won’t feel any sensation there ..

8. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Epidural - you won't feel the pain but you can able to push it. For my first one, I had my epidural at around 11am, till 5pm I was walking to handle my labour. My pain was bearable.

9. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I had stitches I think. I don't remember how I got the tear. It is possible that the doctor gave the tear.

10. Ishaan10

Ishaan10 Bronze IL'ite

I can't tolerate pain that's the foremost reason..second one when the uterus contracts we strain that will push the baby down...with the undilated cervix the baby is being pushed down lead to caput formation (swelling in baby head )...this again affect the process of normal labour...so my doctor suggested to go for epidural...
    after getting some injection for fever in backnor arm ...u will have pain for one or two days not for years....likewise epidural is injection given in back but with large size needle...then how will u feel pain for years...i would say it s more of psychological...