Entertaining Guests With Pets

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by blindpup10, Oct 18, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Entertaining Guest with pets
    In a recent thread I found out some of non-animal lovers, will find it hard to be around pets even if the pets are well trained, groomed, vaccinated.

Please share what are your expectation of the host etiquette regarding pets.
    What do you expect from the host if they have pets, apart from pets being constrained ?

momsky, anuyogam1988 and Rihana like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

We have large dogs, one of whom has special needs. I cannot leave my dogs out in the backyard for hours, nor do I choose to. They are also not amenable to crates. Visitors to our home are those who are okay with this. Otherwise we meet at others' homes or outside. I similarly don't expect hosts to go out of their way when we visit. My DH is extremely allergic to cat fur, to the point where he has to rush for the Benadryl within minutes. Our best friends have 3 cats so they either come to our place or we go elsewhere. Another friend has large dogs but they are used to being crated so she does that if needed.
    I will say that the pets in our social circle are for the most part reasonably well behaved, so no jumping or pawing at people.

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

I am one of the who do not want to be around pets. Though I like them playing.. jumping. somehow when they are near me I will be scared lot. even their barking makes me scared.

So I would expect host to put them in their den. would be good if pets dont bark .

NeetaR and blindpup10 like this.
  4. blindpup10

We have a dog and a cat. My DH and I are considerate of our guest not being ok with pets.

1. Informing guests ahead of time about having pets helps, as it opens up the guest to say if they are ok with pets inside the house or not.
    2. When we entertain our guest, we usually make sure to follow what the guests wants. Some are absolutely not ok with dogs but don't mind the cat. In such cases, we have left our dog be in the yard.
    3. Some guest are ok with both dogs and cats. After their introduction to the pets, our guests and pets are ok being in the same room or in the same house.
    4. We don't chain or crate my dog. This is a big NO NO :nono:.Our dog is ok being in a crate.. but we feel much better if our dog is in the yard than in the crate.
    5. We don't leave my dog in the yard for more than few hours.
    6. Our cat doesn't really make an entrance when the guests are there... there is hardly the need for it to be locked up. But when a guest is not sure about pets or has informed us well before we restrict our cats access to the place guests are being entertained.
    7. Indoor cats can't be let out, so nope we don't leave our cat outside.
    8. Our dog is well behaved, no pawing or jumping. At times will get excited by the belly rubs and may try to show some love by licking. We only let guests who are familiar to our dog give belly rubs.
    9. Our dog has a fascination of eating potato chips.. after feeding a few potato chips she will follow anyone anywhere :tearsofjoy:. During the initial introduction phase, we make our guest give some potato chips and then she is a zone of adoring our guests.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    curiousgals78, MNR and MalStrom like this.
  5. blindpup10

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I enjoy seeing them from a distance and am not averse to stroking them but it unnerves me when a dog tries to show love by licking me or rubbing it's wet nose on me.

I have loads of friends and relatives with pets but that hasn't deterred memfrom visiting them.

My parents are tolerant from a distance. It's a no no for my ILs

dnormx01 and ChennaiExpress like this.
  7. saraswatim

saraswatim Bronze IL'ite

except biting anything is fine with me. i don't even mind cleaning their poop and vomit if required.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just happened to see this. : ) And here I am. : )

The below is a general response. Not addressed to you or anyone in particular!

If I am visiting somebody's house for the first time, and they don't know I am afraid of dogs, I let them know, or it becomes obvious soon enough. I expect them to keep the dog away from me. Do not tell me things like, "Oh it is just smelling all the guests... it is trying to get to know you... it will soon recognize you as a friend (rather than burglar!)" And the biggest no-no: please don't tell me, "It can smell fear... if you are afraid, it will not like you and will growl..." !! I cannot wish away my fear.

And after 2-3 hours of the evening, do not ask me if it is NOW ok to un-constrain the dog. I understand it is missing you, and that it has been missing the party activity... please don't put me in a spot where i have to say in front of all that indeed a four-legged that can't talk should remain constrained.

After 1-2 visits, things work out. We figure out an arrangement, or we simply meet outside. Your dog is like a child to you, and that bond is beautiful (no sarcasm), but others don't love animals like you do.

Some general guidelines: do not pat the dog, and touch the chips in the communal bowl. Just saying.

If you dog sits on the fabric sofa I am sitting on right now, don't tell me that.

Above all - as a host it is your responsibility to make sure your dog remains at least a few feet from that person at _all_ times. Making efforts to pull away the want-to-be-friends-with-guest dog when it is close to the person does not count.

My kids are not scared of dogs, but I don't let them go for sleepovers to houses where dogs sleep in people's beds.

Cats - they look harmless, and can seem silly to be scared of one. I once asked a guest what was exactly scary about my cat, which was in the yard, - she said, 'when i look at its face or its eyes, I cannot explain how it feels. It is like a little tiger. Is like being near a tiger.' The word to describe her fear is 'visceral'.

dnormx01, rossie, dimhere and 8 others like this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Much needed thread...if only to air my vent..
    I am not generally afraid of dogs or cats but but...
    I wish dog owners understand there is a limit to reason..
    I am small...most large dogs are heavier than me..when I run/walk in the park or neighborhood...they love to run with me ...and in the sheer excitement ..they jump on me...Please dont tell me they are playing or that they are just puppies or they are friendly or that they enjoy a good run...if a dog is 100+ pounds and jumps on me while I am running..I get hurt ...sometimes seriously..Same when I visit peoples homes with pets...give guests some time to warm up..just because some of us are not terrified doesn't mean we are ok with a 100 pound dog jumping on us ...
    Please keep them on leash at all times outside ur home and for heavens sake dont own a dog u cannot control.

End of rant.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    dnormx01, rossie, dimhere and 5 others like this.
  10. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Had anyone tried to entertain IL with lets?

How did your MIL react, LOL :roflmao:

dnormx01 and jskls like this.