1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Enough cribbing -- let me share something more interesting....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by justlife, Nov 8, 2011.

1. justlife

justlife Silver IL'ite

The last few mounds of snow had started melting as the spring sun was growing warmer by the day. My teenager who was then a first grader came home running very eager to tell me all about the day he had gone through. But the big story that day. was that their class was putting together a play for the parents. He was so excited as he told me that he had volunteered to play the lead role in the play, I was really shocked and pleased at the same time, as I had a shy toddler at hand and this was something very unusual for him to do.

Now this got me very curious and I asked him what was he going to be, what is his character's name and what was the play. OH.....but then he told me it was supposed to be a surprise and the parents will find out when they come and watch the play. It was supposed to be a month away, and you bet I was so anxious, I counted my days and everyday I asked him questions so as to get a clue as to what he was ....but the clever little devil never let anything out...

Finally the day of the play came. IT was supposed to start at sharp 8:30am. I was so excited , I woke up extra early and after sending both the kids to school, I took special care to get dressed, after all I was the mom of the main character, oh, but already I was a tiny bit late in leaving the house.... "never mind", I thought, I will make it up on the way and besides these little kids may not start the play on time. So I floored the accelerator, but to my dismay there was more traffic than usual and I was seriously late in reaching the school. I was already in tears and was beating myself up for not leaving home in time.

Anyways I parked and ran to the auditorium, so only see the last scene of the play and I was flabbergasted when I did not see my boy. The curtain drew and I was just so emotionally drained, I could have cried. Just then I saw my son's teacher approaching me. She was all happy and very delighted to see me, and then she started saying, "You know you have very fine little actor in your hands, we do this play every year and so far we have not had a better moss covered rock ever. He was so good, everyone thought that it was actually a rock, because he was so still." So I asked her what was the play, and she replied it was "Anansi and the moss covered Rock." :rotfl

Yes, you guessed it right, my little boy was playing the part of the moss covered rock, so yes I did miss the performance of my little star, but at least I could visualize it later in my mind. And to date evertime I think of it, a smile just appears on my face.....

8 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi just life,

I am having a HUGE smile too on my face as I read your post. Nice to start my day in IL with this.:)
    I hope you gave the moss laden rock a bear hug and kiss for being the BEST actor ever...:)))

Oh yeah and I totally agree with your title.. look around you and you will find ample reasons to smile.so just go for it.:)

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That was hilarious Justlife. So Junior was happy with his main role, teacher was happy at his star performance and you heaved a sigh of relief. :) Children can be so disarmingly innocent. That was so sweet - he actually managed to keep the secret for an entire month. Amazing self-control too. :thumbsup

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Justlife
    A superb post really! Any one who reads this will know why mums are so special! The pride of a mother comes out so beautifully and warmly through every sentence of yours. A moss covered rock! So what? The point is that he has drawn his teacher's admiration for doing that role so perfectly. If that rock had been scratching and moving restlessly through the play, what a mess the whole play would have been!

This post of yours is one of those rare kind that set our hearts aglow and crease our faces with the largest smile we can manage!

Keep writing, justlife!
    Sri

5. AkhilaaSaras

AkhilaaSaras Gold IL'ite

Hi juslife....

Its tough to be immovable object than a moving one.... that was so pleasing to hear from you.... but that would be a missing part for ever... jus bringing a smile all along when ever you a rock u come across.... keep sharing :thumbsup

6. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi juslife,

The maternal love shows through your post. It reminded me of one of the episodes from the sitcom 'Raymond', where Ray insists that his twins play the role of the rocks instead of fairies and switches back to fairies, inspite of the teacher's disapproval....well, the sweet looking fairies create havoc andthe play gets messy at the end, it was amusing and funny to watch but trust me your sweet li'l one saved you from embarassment by playing his part to the T. Kudos to him...very nicely narrated...

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha!
    Good one!
    Your son was a rock! But what a rock! Actually being called a "rock" is really a compliment! So your son is right that his was indeed a lead role!

I simply loved the narration where you brought out vividly how things can go wrong when you are in a hurry! I was smilig at your "accelerator to the floor" part and could imagine you weaving through the traffic :)

Just life ...you "rocked" in this thread!

BTW: what did you mean "Enough cribbing...."? in your title? What were you referring to?

8. justlife

justlife Silver IL'ite

Hi Kkrish,

Thanks for your compliments, actually after I posted this thread I thought the title was not very appropriate.

Actually I have written some posts earlier when I was very depressed and I have only cribbed in those. So for a change I wanted to share something light, when I started writing I was not sure what I was going to write, hence the inappropriate title, sort of... and I also figured that I could not change it later... well another lesson learned!!

:)

9. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Justlife,
    That is really a fabulous one. Narrated very interestingly and enjoyed reading it. Your son really rocked playing the 'rock role'. It's really hard to stay still till the end of the show and your son did it well. Hats off to him.
    Like to here more from you.

Regards,
    Latha.

10. justlife

justlife Silver IL'ite

A anecdote to this story, this morning while driving my now 15 year old to his game, i was recounting this story to him, at the end jhe laughed and pointed to his face which is now more than fuzzy with facial hair and said, i am still a moss covered rock!

:)