English Matters

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ansuya, Dec 20, 2008.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Another random something something!

8E13585A-3448-459F-8E6F-DAB6F2EE8AFD.jpeg
    Don Martin’s cartoons in MAD magazine were famous for their sound effects.

Comics Action Words... I don't know if anyone here will be interested but I'm a super fan. I sometimes use them in my doodles too, mostly the common ones like BAM, POW etc. It seems there is a huge database out there with hella lot of such action words (by Don Martin) and with meanings too! Awesome! I can totally picture new age 'Musk'teers going FOOWOOM with their flamethrowers! :lol:

Lol. Dumping here for like-minds or anyone just curious. Good timepass! :innocent:

Doug Gilford's Mad Cover Site - The Don Martin Dictionary - Alphabetical Listing

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You have your foowoom in me! I am crazy about those comicana words which are pithy and expressive. My favorite is "splat" flashed on a pratfall in puddle or when someone thumps in water. During that 90s Batman and Robin rerun on tv, I would memorize all those action-word captions and be amused of the tiny yet evocative words. In the Gilford's compilation, I liked "Dripple Blit" to sound a dripping soup from the spoon into bowl. That list may look silly and funny but coming up with such choppy expressions is inventive to the helm. I also liked "Foomp" to blare a safe falling on a person. Only a safe! May be, if that lumber is Godrej Almirah, then it is "Goomp".

upload_2018-4-27_19-58-22.png

kaniths likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just deserts or Just desserts? Which one would you use if you used the idiom? I go for the single 's' but looks like both spellings are now acceptable. Such license might be needed as words get wrongly used over a long time, but I prefer the original.

'Just deserts' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

kaniths likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Which is correct? ‘It is I who is speaking’ Or ‘It is I who am speaking’

Jayasala 42

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

In a strictly grammatical sense, it is the latter.

Considering the plural form may help clarify:
    Who is speaking?
    It is we who are speaking; not "We who is speaking".

The same with the singular. The verb conjugation for "to be" as "am" still stands. However, in practice, one avoids such overly formal, grammatically tortuous forms. When asked "Am I speaking to Jayasla?", it is far easier to say "Yes, this is Jayasla speaking" than "Yes, it is I" or "Yes it is I who am speaking".

On a slightly different note, although the grammar pedants insist that we say "It is I", it is perfectly acceptable to say "It is me".
    "Who is speaking on that recording?"
    "Oh, that's me!"

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.
  7. jayasala42

Thank you Shri Sokanasanaha.
    My father who was an English teacher retired in 1948,.He did his post graduation in English in 1910 and was particular about correct Grammatical usage.He has told what you have exactly said.,while teaching about clauses and phrases during summer holidays when I was in 8th Std in 1954.One of my friends suddenly raised this doubt and I am glad that you have clarified the point.

Thanks again.

Jayasala 42

kaniths, sokanasanah and Gauri03 like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Interesting - I wonder what it must have been like to be teaching English in those days!
    Sorry I mangled your ID. I do know the correct form, but my hunt & peck typing is not always conducive to correct spelling.:oops:

9. jayasala42

Prior to 1948, lot of importance was given to English Grammar.Parsing was an important question carrying 10 marks.Many students got less than minimum in English and failed in S. S. L. C. Exam.Many boys needed a pass to get into Govt jobs.My father used to say'It is easy to make a student that gets 75% to score 90%.It is a tremendous job to make a student scoring single digit to get a pass. People from villages struggled to understand.

The big pyol (thinnai) of our house was full of students in the evening hrs.Drilling was severe.My father had a majestic voice.He could address a gathering of 500 without a mike.The mami in the opposite house used to comment that even she could pass in English after listening to my father's teaching from the opposite dwelling.
    You have given an opportunity to think of my father, a famous English teacher of those days.

Jayasala42

10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In Sesame street, the Count always comes out with "It's I, the Count". However, the children who grow up with that teaching, eventually unlearn that, and go with what is in popular usage.

sokanasanah likes this.