1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

English Grammar

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kaviviru, Jul 16, 2019.

1. kaviviru

kaviviru Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Can any one help me with any websites or youtube video links to teach my son English grammar. He is in 6th Std CBSE now and is finding it difficult to understand.

2. SaiKiran1

SaiKiran1 Junior IL'ite

Just go with the flow never think of grammar while learning, grammar will come automatically once he/she gets to a certain age

kaviviru and Amulet like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Dont attempt to learn/teach English Grammar separately.
    That would be the surefire way to kill the enthusiasm to use English.
    Let the child learn usage, without having to learn rules and formulae.

Buy (or copy from the internet) age-appropriate books of stories for the child. Let her/him enjoy those stories. The grammatical usage of words, phrases, etc... would get into her/him without having to tussle with rules/grammar.

kaviviru and Vaikuntha like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I got married more than five decades back, my wife spoke English which only I could understand. I gave her the Wren and Martin grammar book and asked her to refine her English. During the following week, I came home around lunchtime to take some office papers which I had left behind at home. There I saw my wife having a siesta using Wren and Martin as her pillow! Today she speaks English as if it is her mother tongue in her own way. People do not write or speak highbrow English anymore. It is functional and easy to follow. Don't make your child hate English language by thrusting grammar books on him.

kaviviru likes this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I agree that grammar can kill enthusiasm for language and literature, but I suspect OP is talking about "English Grammar" as a school subject, with tests to take and exams to pass. There may be no avoiding instruction.

So, @kaviviru, if you are trying to improve your son's English, then the suggestions above are good - engaged conversation and reading (you read to him, he reads about subjects that excite him - dinosaurs, cricket, whatever) are your best options. For a start, take a look at this: How to Raise a Reader.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to improve his grades in grammar tests at school, then things get a bit more complicated. First, you have to figure out the kind of pedagogic approach his syllabus favors - traditional grammar or a more modern functional grammar? Then you have to find good, age-appropriate workbooks for practice or use materials available on the web to construct worksheets yourself that best match his school syllabus. It's not difficult to do, just needs an investment time and effort. It's all about terminology (recognizing animals in the grammar zoo) and practice.

Most kids most definitely find grammar boring; it is unlikely that your sixth-grader will wade through the explanatory content of a grammar text by himself. He will need a teacher to sit with him, to gently prod and guide him through the exercises. As long as you do it in short bursts, it is workable.

I have used this book to teach students from overseas with some success. However, they are usually adults, grad students, and beyond, not eleven-year-olds! Besides, I can see that you live in India. I am pointing to that book here just as a start.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  6. kaviviru

kaviviru Senior IL'ite

Thank you all for these lovely suggestions ...