Engineering in US

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by hemagd, Jan 4, 2012.

1. hemagd

hemagd New IL'ite

Hi All,

Can you please share your ideas/experience about doing engineering in US.
    Pros and Cons compared to doing this in India. Will it be a wise decision to discontinue in India and do the course in US??
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback

2. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

Doing Engineering in the US is a good idea.

As per the survey that was conducted in 2004 that the U.S. graduated 137,437 engineers vs. 112,000 from India and 351,537 from China.

The standards of engineering is really good when compared to China and India.

Quality comparison:
    Biomedical Engineering Professor Barry Myers says that he has always been impressed with IIT graduates to come to study in the U.S. But these students are only as good as the average American students that he teaches at Duke.

Cost:
    If you live in the US then it is of a little affordable amount.

Not just the cost but the standard and quality is also important in that case doing engineering in the US is a good idea all together :)

2 people like this.
  3. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to IL ggiindia... :)

Have you collected enough information about engineering in the US and its rules and regulations?

4. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

Believe me if money is not an issue and if u r matured enough then studying under graduation or bachelors degree in good colleges in USA will be best decision of ur life.

Application Procedure - Undergraduate Bachelor Degree Courses in U.S.A.

on an AVg at Undergraduate level there are over 490 majors (specializations) in 37 categories covering more than 25 career options. Not all Colleges and Universities offer the same majors but you are bound to find many of your taste and aspirations at some of the 3,700 colleges and Universities spread across the United States.

To make the task simpler, we would further group all these Colleges and Universities into six main categories--
    Humanities:
    Humanities essentially includes Art, Art History, Classics, Comparative Literature, Dance, Design, English, Film Studies, Foreign Languages, Music, Philosophy, and Theater)
    Social sciences:
    Social sciences will cover mainly Agricultural Studies, Anthropology, Business, Economics, Education, Geography, History, Journalism, Library Science, Linguistics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Policy, Social Work, and Sociology
    Physical sciences:
    Physical sciences is a motley group of seven main disciplines -- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Astronomy, Meteorology, and Geology & Geophysics

Life Sciences::
    Prominent subjects in Life Sciences include Agricultural Science, Nutrition, Plant Biology, Evolutionary Biology & Ecology, Molecular & Cell Biology, Health & Medicine, Neuroscience, Nursing, and Zoology
    Engineering:
    US Universities offer a host of engineering majors ranging from Aeronautics to Nuclear Engineering. You can decide to become an Architect, or a Computer Scientist or try your hands at Biomedical engineering or Chemical Engineering program. Civil & Environmental Engineering and Nuclear Engineering are other good options. You may also think of more traditional majors like Electrical, Mechanical, Mining or Material Engineering. Industrial Engineering & Operations Research are equally exciting.
    Interdisciplinary Majors:
    Interdisciplinary majors are cross discipline in nature and may include majors like American Studies, Area Studies, Environmental Studies, Ethnic Studies, Information Science, Marine Science, Religious Studies, Urban Studies, Women's Studies, etc.

1.EducationUSA | Research Your Options

2. http://www.infozee.com/usa/app-procedure-ug.htm Study in USA: Application Procedure for Undergraduate Programs (Bachelor's Degree)

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Passionate89
    I came to this thread following Nettem...who is a wharehouse of knowledge when it comes to Universities/ higher studies. I am passionately impressed on your thoughts as well.

I AM superglued on this thought as well, but most of our IITs will not accept this, until they actually face campus like MIT or Caltech....when they are there and come face to face with the senerio they might agree.
    Mega

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Nettem
    Mate, I have no words to appreciate your efforts in providing this forum with an ocean of knowledge when it comes to choosing a good option to study abroad.As you know I have also conducted a detailed study on this subject (for the future of my kids) and yet I found so much extra info in your links and threads. Very very impressive!:bowdown
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  7. pretty84

pretty84 New IL'ite

Good information.. useful to all of us..

Thanks

8. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  9. cynusalisa

cynusalisa New IL'ite

No I don't know more about US engineering colleges,their experiences and other things also.......But I am doing engineering from Gulzar group of institute located in India.......This is the best engineering college in North india....Most of the students take admission here for their higher education...

10. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite