1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Play, Fine Motor, Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Kaput, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Fitness center, 20 min ride on her trike, read some books in the park (want her to get used to sitting still when outside), body parts flash cards

Sunshine04 and Sandycandy like this.
  2. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Playing with bubbles to get her to ask for it, sorting straws by color, body parts flash cards, songs with hand/finger puppets, park

Sandycandy likes this.
  3. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Fri, 7/28:
    Play with Mr. Potato head, building blocks (stacking, sorting by color), body parts flash cards, wooden puzzles

sindmani, Sandycandy and Agniamber11 like this.
  4. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Sat, 7/29: building blocks (stacking, sorting by color), body parts flash cards, wooden puzzles, park

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Sun, 7/30: went to a theme park because dd was very cranky but she was crankier there :laughing:

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  6. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Mon: Story time @ library. I am hoping this will get less painful with time, I leave the room 4-5 times during the story time because she starts yelling. I cannot believe how still the other kids sit, I don't think even I can focus that well.:biggrin:

Tue: Reading books, sorting, matching by color @ the park

Trying to take her out everyday... hardly 2 more months of good weather.

DD is really trying to say things. Saying 'gog' (dog), 'bee', 'ky' (sky), moo (moon), babba (bubbles) when she sees them outside. Also saying 'eye', 'no'(nose), 'beebee' (belly button), 'toes' for body parts.... 'bebe' (baby), 'bye bye' (with a wave)... She has said 'book', 'duck' 'cup', 'hi' a few times but not consistently. All are single syllable so far.

She is matching at least 2-3 of my actions for all the action songs. Her favorite song is 'wheels on the bus' and she fake cries when I say 'baby on the bus says....?' :tearsofjoy:

She is throwing away blocks and shape sorters, so trying other fine motor things like getting her to put flash cards into Ziploc bags, putting credit cards into my wallet, getting her to eat with fork, etc.

Spending a lot of time in the play tunnel, meeting halfway in it and playing musical instruments, reading books, singing rhymes. Hoping that she uses the tunnels at the park eventually which she is scared of right now. Must be the close quarters, she gave me so many kisses yesterday in the tunnel.. she is usually not affectionate.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    kaniths, sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Wed: Fitness center
    Thurs: Fitness center
    Fri: Park, grocery store with DD's fruit/veggie books. She had pizza, not sure she chewed it, but she liked it

Sat and Sun(tomorrow): busy at work, nothing.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Got myself strep throat, so she escaped my clutches this week :)

DD is obsessed with buckles. It started with the buckles on her high chair. She tries to climb up the high chair to play with the buckles and falls. We tried blocking access, but she is really obsessed.
    We finally got her a dress up toy with a buckle on it. She loves it and learned to buckle it but needs help unfastening the buckle each time she fastens it. After prompting her with say 'open', she now closes the buckle and then comes to us and hands the toy and says 'oh-oh'. This is probably her first request, so far she has just been labeling things.

ABA therapy started this week at 10 hours per week. The therapist is getting familiar with her, she gets a big tub of toys and books and plays with her for 2 hours every day. She is trying to get DD to sign a few things like music/bounce/spin/book because she loves those. The therapist is seasoned and it is a learning experience to watch her. I am doing the signs during the rest of the day and DD definitely understands what they mean now.

9. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

8/14: story time @ library

I am getting nowhere with sorting blocks by colors. So trying to get DD to put spoons into a steel dish and blue blocks into a blue bin. But she still prefers to bang them or run away with them.

Trying to get some echoics and volitional control from her because she says words randomly, only when she wants to and then gets stuck repeating it - Stopping a video/music on phone and asking her to say few things that she knows like 'mama', 'baby', 'shh' in succession before playing the video/music again.

10. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

D has been asking for music/book/spin consistently using a combination of signs and word approximations. Mumu(music)/uck(book)/bin(spin). Now she wants those every second but I am happy to oblige. :D

I am having more success with fine motor (stacking blocks, rings) when I play music as a reward for stacking. She does the ring stack now without too much prompting.

For body parts - since the potato head toy is a bit hard for her to manipulate, I made play dough and am using it as the head.. making her put eyes/nose/ears/hat,etc into the dough head and she is doing it a little better.

kaniths and Sandycandy like this.