1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Play, Fine Motor, Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Kaput, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunshine, I am not very comfortable posting the details here but it is a rare neurological disorder unrelated to ASD. The treatment was very specific to her disorder.

2. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Meant to ask this and forgot - how did you supplement at home the things that the BCBA has missed? I mean the resources that you pulled information from...
    It is amazing how much knowledge we take for granted until we need to break it down and teach.
    If a parent disagrees with a BCBA, generally speaking, do you find the BCBA receptive to requests for change?

Satlak likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Generally yes BCBA are receptive to requests for change.
    They follow the Aba principles and somewhat rigid.

Kaput likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I just used a natural home environment to help bridge the gap. I keep close tabs on what happens with therapy and I supplement at home using other objects and a home scenario. If he is going small/big I would ask him to fetch a big bowl for his snack from two that look identical except for size. That way it's more natural rather than "Show
    Me Big". I finally found a BCBA doing a combination of natural interventions like RDI/Floor time and aba. She's much better at teaching him to understand rather the teaching him to memorize just the one or two situations.

It becomes second nature. These days I have to coach myself to not make it too easy for him but rather make him think. All these days I was just breaking it down and filling in the blanks.

It has depended from person to person. Some of them are very respectful of parent involvement and appreciate inputs. Some would just brush it off. It's
    Very important to work as a team(parents/bcba/therapists and teacher). I would be very diplomatic with the bcba and try to speak objectively. if after that she disagrees then personally I would look for ways to fix the gap. I have changed bcbas because of this issue. As a parent you know best about her skills and limitations.

Kaput likes this.
  5. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

This week slipped away from me with the holiday and 2 days at the hospital. Have to do better next week.

Sunshine04 and Laks09 like this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

@Kaput your posts really inspire me ! You are a wonderful mom ! Best wishes !

Kaput and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

7/10:
    Along with other fine motor and action songs, today I tried to make DD scribble. Earlier she always tried to eat the crayon but today she stabbed the paper for a while before trying to eat it. : )

Sandycandy and Sunshine04 like this.
  8. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

So my DD loves to run, run, run, crash into the couch, run and run. And then she gets tired and she rests for a bit and then starts again. Earlier when she could not handle objects at all, this gross motor play was all she had.

An interesting tip I got for regulating this was to use a metronome app on phone. With a Metronome app, we can set beats per minute and it tick-tocks at that rate. It is originally for musicians who are practicing to play precisely to a beat.
    So try to estimate the internal speed at which the child is, and set the Metronome at a beat a little slower than that. The idea is that subconsciously the kid will try to sync with the slower rhythm. In the same vein, for a sluggish mood, set a faster beat. Key is to experiment with the rhythms and see if it works to alter the pace and mood of the child.

I use iMetronome on iPhone. I don't know if it worked for my DD. I know that when I start it, the tick-tock sound attracts her attention immediately and she slows down for that reason. I have not kept it on for too long a time to observe its impact... maybe because when I am around, I try to keep her occupied and she only runs around for breaks.
    Now that she is pausing to play with some toys and not just motoring, I don't use this app much.
    But I use it sometimes when she is having a meltdown to gain her attention or sometimes we march hand-in-hand to different beats in the living room.

Thought about it because yesterday I was reading that something called an interactive metronome is a treatment option for improving motor planning for early learners as well as for rehabilitation purposes.

9. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Past two days could not find time for anything. Went to shop for shoes one day and to fitness center another day. Shoe shopping is a miserable activity because DD has to wear braces on her feet and it is a pain to find shoes that fit.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

You have to buy wide shoe.its called w or D.
    New balance has shoes of this kind

Kaput likes this.