Employment in Singapore for dependant pass

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by lemondove, Oct 27, 2014.

1. lemondove

lemondove New IL'ite

Hello,

My husband has got a job offer in Singapore and we will be shifting to Singapore with our little kid in another 3 months. I had worked in the IT industry for 5+ years before my kid was born and now I am in a career break. I want to know about the job opportunities in Singapore for dependent pass holders.
    Is it possible to get a job when I don't have a employment pass or PR?
    Is there any one here who joined an IT job in Singapore after a break? How the companies there consider a career break of around 2 years?

Awaiting responses from our ilites in Singapore. Thanks!!

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Lemondove,

Welcome to IL and SG :)

Job opportunities in IT and other sectors is a bit tight these days because of government policies for DP holders. Having said that, people on DP do get jobs if the companies are willing to get an LOC or apply for an employment pass for the employee.

With regard to break, it is not a major factor. I got a job after a break of 4 years (but then I was a PR by then. When I had tried for job when I was on DP, the calls were far too few).

Keep trying and something will definitely come your way. All the best.

3. lemondove

lemondove New IL'ite

Thanks Akila Mani! I was expecting a response at least from you and you didn't disappoint :)
    Now I am just getting ready for the shift in terms of items to carry to Singapore and checking with different schools regarding the admission process. We will move to some place near to Changi Tech park. If you have any suggestion w.r.t. schools/day cares and anything w.r.t. relocation please share. I am already going through many IL forums and getting some knowledge. Thanks again!

4. AkilaMani

:) I am glad I didn't disappoint you :)

LD, Changi Business Park is in the East of SG with residential area surrounding it and also many schools.

Relocating to SG is not too cumbersome as you will find almost everything that we get in India here. Most of the rental accommodation come with fully furnished house. You may want to pack in cooking utensils though. Those too are available here, but are slightly on the expensive side. So try to bring in at least the basics to begin with.

What is your child's age? If he/she is less than 6, then you will have to look for Kindergartens. There are both government owned (PAP) kindergartens and private ones also. Both are good. You can find the list of kindergartens in the MOE website. Try to shortlist a few and then you can post queries on them, so that Ilities with kids in those can help you decide.

Hope this helps :)

5. lemondove

lemondove New IL'ite

Thanks for the info Akila..I will definitely look in to MOE website. My kid is 2.5 yrs old.

6. deepthapr

deepthapr New IL'ite

Hi Akhila Mani,
    I am basically from Chennai ,now in SG for the past 8 months....in Hougang

AkilaMani likes this.
  7. AkilaMani

Hi Deepthapr,

Welcome to SG :)

Hope you are doing well and have settled in by now. I too am from Chennai :)

8. deepthapr

deepthapr New IL'ite

Hi akhila,
    Nice to c ur reply... Btw whr do u stay? Ur working r a home maker? I m looking out some jobs in admin, call centre and in operations.... Can u suggest me some? I hv uploaded my resume in several job sites... Dey sat that they don hv quota for foreigners.... I hv 3.5 years exp in banking, insurance, and logistics...

9. AkilaMani

Hi Deepthapr,

Sorry for such a late reply. I am currently a homemaker and I live in Tampines. The job market for DP and LTVP has considerably reduced in the last 4-5 years. Even renewal of EP is scrutinized strictly and the companies have to give valid reason for continuing foreign talents. All this said, I still think it might be possible to get a job as a DP. Try contacting reputed job consultants. They may be able to help.

All the best!