Ekadasi

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by anurar20, Feb 18, 2012.

1. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Indira Ekadashi - The Story of Indira Ekadasi

Yudhisthira Maharaja said, "0 Madhusudana, 0 killer of the Madhu demon, what is the name of the Ekadashi. that occurs during the dark fortnight of the month of Asvina [September-October]? Please describe its glories to me."

The Supreme Lord, Shri Krishna, replied, "This holy day is called Indira Ekadashi. If a person fasts on this day, all his sins are eradicated and his forefathers who have fallen into hell are liberated. 0 best of kings, one who simply hears about this Ekadashi. achieves the great merit earned by performing a horse sacrifice.

"In the Satya-yuga there lived a king named Indrasena, who was so powerful that he destroyed all his enemies. His kingdom was called Mahismati-puri. The glorious and highly religious King Indrasena took good care of his subjects, and therefore he was rich in gold, grains, sons, and grandsons. He was greatly devoted to Shri Vishnu as well. He especially enjoyed chanting My name, calling out 'Govinda! Govinda!' In this way King Indrasena systematically dedicated himself to pure spiritual life and spent much time meditating on the Absolute Truth.

"One day, as King Indrasena happily and peacefully presided over his assembly, the perfect orator, Narada Muni, was seen descending from the sky. The king offered Devarsi Narada, the saint among the demigods, great respect by greeting him with joined palms, inviting him into the palace, offering him a comfortable seat, washing his feet, and speaking sweet words of welcome. Then Narada Muni said to Maharaja Indrasena, '0 king, are the seven limbs of your kingdom prospering?' Is your mind absorbed in thinking of how you can properly perform your occupational duty? Are you becoming more and more devoted to the Supreme Lord, Shri Vishnu?'

"The king replied, 'By your kind grace, 0 greatest of sages, everything is quite well. Today, just by your presence all the sacrifices in my kingdom are successful! Please show me mercy and explain the reason for your visit here.'

"Shri Narada, the sage among the demigods, then said, '0 lion among kings, listen to my astonishing words. When I descended from Brahmaloka to Yamaloka, Lord Yamaraja praised me very graciously and offered me an excellent seat. As I glorified his truthfulness and wonderful service to the Supreme Lord, I noticed your father in Yamaraja's assembly. Though he had been very religious, because he broke an Ekadashi fast prematurely, he had to go to Yamaloka. Your father gave me a message for you. He said, "In Mahismati lives a king named Indrasena. Please tell him about my situation here-that because of my past sinful deeds I have somehow been forced to reside in Yamaraja's kingdom. Please give him this message from me: '0 son, kindly observe Indira Ekadashi and give much in charity so I can go upward to heaven.'

"Narada continued, 'Just to deliver this message, 0 king, have I come to you. You should help your father by observing the fast of Indira Ekadashi. By the merit you gain, your father will go to heaven.'

"King Indrasena asked, '0 great Naradaji, please be merciful and tell me specifically how to observe a fast on Indira Ekadashi, and also tell me during what month and on what day it occurs.'

"Narada Muni replied, '0 king, please listen as I describe to you the full process of observing Indira Ekadashi. This Ekadashi. occurs during the dark fortnight of the month of Asvina. On Dasami, the day before Ekadashi. rise early in the morning, bathe, and then do some service for God with full faith. At noon, bathe again in running water and then offer oblations to your forefathers with faith and devotion. Be sure not to eat more than once on this day, and at night sleep on the floor.

"'When you awaken on Ekadashi morning, cleanse your mouth and teeth thoroughly and then with deep devotion for the Lord take this sacred vow: "Today I shall fast completely and give up all kinds of sense enjoyment. 0 lotus-eyed Supreme Personality of Godhead, 0 infallible one, please give me shelter at Your lotus feet." At noon, stand before Shri Salagrama-sila and worship Him faithfully, following all the rules and regulations; then offer oblations to your forefathers. Next, feed qualified brahmanas and offer them some charity according to your means. Now take the food you offered to your forefathers, smell it, and then offer it to a cow. Next, worship Lord Hrsikesa with incense and flowers, and finally, remain awake all night near the Deity of Shri Kesava.

"'Early in the morning of the next day, Dvadasi, worship Shri Hari with great devotion and invite brahmanas to a sumptuous feast. Then feed your relatives, and finally take your meal in silence. 0 king, if you strictly observe a fast on Indira Ekadashi in this way, with controlled senses, your father will surely be elevated to the abode of Lord Vishnu.' After saying this, Devarsi Narada immediately disappeared.

"King Indrasena followed the great saint's instructions perfectly, observing the fast in the association of his relatives and servants. As he broke his fast on Dvadasi, flowers fell from the sky. The merit Indrasena earned by observing this fast released his father from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">kingdom</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Yamaraja</st1:placeName></st1:place> and caused him to attain a completely spiritual body. Indeed, Indrasena saw him rising to the abode of Lord Hari on the back of Garuda. Indrasena himself was able to rule his kingdom without any obstacles, and in time he handed over the kingdom to his son and also went to Vaikuntha.

"0 Yudhisthira, these are the glories of Indira Ekadashi, which occurs during the dark fortnight of the month of Asvina Whoever hears or reads this narration certainly enjoys life in this world, is freed of all his past sins, and at death returns home, back to Godhead, where he lives eternally."

Thus ends the narration of the glories of Ashwina-krishna EkAdasii, or IndirA EkAdasii, taken from the Brahma-vaivarta PurANa.

2. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Padmini Ekadashi - The Story of Padmini Ekadasi

Sri SUta Goswami said, “Yudhishthira MahArAja said, Oh JanArdana, what is the name of the EkAdasii that occurs during the light fortnight (shukla paksha) of the extra, leap year month? How does one observe it properly? Please narrate all this to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">me.</st1:place></st1:State>’

“The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krishna, replied, ‘Oh PANDava, the meritorious EkAdasii that occurs during the light fortnight of the extra month of leap-year is called PadminI. It is very auspicious. The fortunate soul who observes it with great determination and faith will return to My personal abode. This extra-month EkAdasii is as powerful as I am in nullifying sins. Even four-headed Lord BrahmA cannot glorify it sufficiently. Long ago Lord BrahmA told Narada about this liberating, sin-removing EkAdasii.’

“Lotus-eyed Lord Krishna became very pleased by the enquiry of Yudhishthira and spoke to him the following pleasing words: ‘Oh king, please listen carefully as I narrate to you the process of fasting on PadminI EkAdasii, which is rarely done even by great sages.

“’One should begin his fast on the Dashami, the day before EkAdasii, by not eating any Urad dAhl, pink dAhl, chickpeas, spinach, honey, or sea salt, and also by not dining in homes of others or off bell-metal plates. These eight things should be avoided. One should eat only once on the Dashami, sleep on the ground, and remain celibate. On EkAdasii the devotee should rise early in the morning but should not brush his teeth. Then he should thoroughly bathe – in a place of pilgrimage, if possible. While chanting sacred hymns from the Vedas, he should smear his body with cow dung mixed with clay, sesame-seed paste, kusha grass, and the powder of AmalakI fruits. Then the devotee should take another thorough bath, after which he should chant the following prayers:

”Oh sacred clay, you have been created by Lord BrahmA, purified by Kashyapa Muni, and lifted by Lord Krishna in His form as VarAha, the boar incarnation. Oh clay, please purify my head, eyes, and other limbs. Oh clay, I offer my obeisances unto you. Kindly purify me so I may worship the Supreme Lord, Sri Hari.

”Oh cow-dung, you posses medicinal and antiseptic qualities because you have come directly from the stomach of our universal mother, the cow. You can purify the entire planet Earth. Please accept my humble obeisances and purify me.

“’”Oh AmalakI fruits, please accept my humble obeisances. You have taken your birth from the saliva of Lord BrahmA, and thus by your very presence the entire planet is purified. Kindly cleanse and purify my bodily limbs.

“’”Oh Supreme Lord Vishnu, Oh God of the gods, Oh master of the universe, Oh holder of the conch, disc, club, and lotus, please allow me to bathe in all the holy places of pilgrimage.”

’Reciting these excellent prayers, chanting mantras to Lord VaruNa, and meditating on all the places of pilgrimage located on the banks of the Ganges, one should bathe in whatever body of water is at hand. Then, Oh Yudhishthira, the devotee should rub his body, thus purifying his mouth, back, chest, arms, and waist as a prelude to worshipping the Supreme Lord, who wears brilliant yellow garments and gives pleasure to all creatures. By so doing, the devotee will destroy all his sins. Afterwards, he should chant the sacred Gayatri mantra, offer oblations to his forefathers, and then enter a Vishnu temple to worship Lord NarAyaNa, the husband of the Goddess of Fortune, Laxmi-devi.

“’If possible, the devotee should then fashion Deities of Sri Sri Radha and Krishna or Shiva and Parvati out of gold and offer them nice devotional worship. He should fill a copper or clay pot with pure water mixed with scents, and then he should cover the pot with a cloth lid and a gold or silver lid, in this way preparing an Asana upon which the Radha-Krishna or Shiva-Parvati murthis may sit for worship. According to capacity, the devotee should then worship these murtis with fragrant incense, a bright ghee lamp, and sandalwood paste along with camphor, musk, kumkum, and other scents, as well as selected aromatic flowers like white lotuses and other seasonal blooms, and also very nicely prepared foods. On this special EkAdasii the devotees should dance and sing ecstatically before the Deity. He should avoid prajalpa (talking unnecessarily of ordinary, mundane conversational topics) at all costs and should not talk to or touch low-born persons (untrained persons habituated to low acts) or a woman in her menstrual period, or others so absorbed. On this day he should be especially careful to speak the truth and certainly not criticise anyone before the Deity of Lord Vishnu, the brahmins, or the spiritual master. Rather, with other devotees he should be absorbed in listening to Vaishnavas read the glories of Lord Vishnu from the PurANas. One should not drink or even touch water to his lips on this EkAdasii, and one who is unable to perform this austerity should drink only water or milk. Otherwise, the fast is considered broken. One should remain awake that EkAdasii night, singing and playing musical instruments for the transcendental pleasure of the Supreme Person.

“’During the first quarter of the EkAdasii night the devotee should offer some coconut meat to his worshippable Deity (Isthadeva), during the second part he should offer soothing bel fruit, during the third part an orange, and as the night draws to a close some betel nut. Remaining awake during the first part of the EkAdasii night bestows on the devotee/sadhaka the same merit as that gained by performing the Agnistoma-yajna. Staying awake during the second part of the night bestows the same merit as that gained by performing a VAjapeya-yajna. Stay awake during the third part gives one the same merit as that attained by performing an Ashvamedha-yajna. And one who remains awake throughout the night receives all of the above mentioned merit, as well as the grand merit of having performed a RajasUrya-yajna. Thus there is no better fasting day in the year than PadminI EkAdasii. Nothing can compare to it as a giver of merit, whether it be a fire sacrifice, knowledge, education, or austerity. Indeed, whoever observes this sacred EkAdasii fast receives all the merit attained by bathing in all the places of pilgrimage in the world.

“’After remaining awake throughout the night, the devotee should bathe at sunrise and then worship Me nicely. He should then feed a qualified brahmin and respectfully give him the Deity of Lord Keshava and the pot filled with pure scented water. This gift will guarantee the devotee success in this life and liberation in the hereafter.

“’Oh sinless Yudhishthira, as you have requested, I have described the rules and regulations, as well as the benefits, regarding the EkAdasii that occurs during the light fortnight of the extra, leap-year month. Fasting on this PadminI day bestows merit equal to that gained by fasting on all other EkAdasiis. The EkAdasii that occurs during the dark part of the extra month, which is known as ParamA EkAdasii, is as powerful at removing sin as this one, PadminI. Now please listen to Me carefully as I narrate to you a fascinating account connected with this sacred day. Pulastya Muni once recited this history to NAradji.

“’Pulastya Muni once had occasion to rescue the ten headed demon RAvana from the prison of KartaviryArjuna, and upon hearing of this event Narada Muni asked his friend, “Oh greatest of sages, since this Ravana defeated all the demigods, including Lord Indradev, how could KartaviryArjuna defeat Ravana, who was so skilled in battle?”

“’Pulastya Muni replied, “Oh great Narada, during the TretAyuga, KArtavirya (KArtaviryArjuna’s father) took birth in the Haihaya dynasty. His capital city was Mahishmati, and he had one thousand <st1:place w:st="on">Queens</st1:place>, whom he loved very dearly. None of them, however, was able to give him the son he wanted so badly. He performed sacrifices and worshipped the devas (demigods) and forefathers (pitris), but due to the curse of some sage he was unable to beget a son – and without a son, a king cannot enjoy his kingdom, just as a hungry man can never really enjoy his senses.

”King KArtavirya carefully considered his plight and then decided to perform severe austerities to achieve his goal. Thus he donned a loincloth made of bark, grew matted locks, and turned over the reins of his kingdom to his ministers. One of his queens, Padmini – who was born in the IkshvAku dynasty, who was the best of all women, and who was the daughter of King Harishchandra – saw the king leaving. She felt that, since she was a chaste wife, her duty was to follow in the footsteps of her beloved husband. Removing all the regal ornaments from her beautiful body and donning but one piece of cloth, she thus followed her husband into the forest.

”At last KArtavirya reached the summit of Mount GandhamAdana, where he performed severe austerities and penances for ten thousand years, meditating and praying to Lord GadAdhara, who wields a club. But still he did not get a son. Seeing her dear husband waste away to mere skin and bone, Padmini thought of a solution to the problem. She went to the chaste AnasUya. With great reverence, Padmini said, ‘Oh great lady, my dear husband, KArtavirya, has been performing austerities for the last ten thousand years, but Lord Krishna (Keshava), who alone can remove one’s past sins and present difficulties, has not yet become pleased with him. Oh most fortunate one, please tell me a fast day we can observe and thus please the Supreme Lord with our devotion, so much so that He will bless me with a nice son who will later rule the world as emperor.’

”Upon hearing the appealing words of Padmini, who was very chaste and deeply devoted to her husband, the great AnasUya replied to her in a very cheerful mood: ‘Oh beautiful, lotus-eyed lady, usually there are twelve months in a year, but after every thirty-two months an extra month is added, and the two EkAdasiis that occur during this month are called Padmini EkAdasii and ParamA EkAdasii. They fall on the DvAdasiis of the light and dark part of the month, respectively. You should fast on these days and remain awake throughout the night. If you do so, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Hari, will bless you with a son.’

”Oh Narada, in this way AnasUya, the daughter of the sage Kardama Muni, explained the potency of these special EkAdasis. Hearing this, Padmini faithfully followed the instructions to fulfill her desire for a son. Padmini fasted completely, even from water, and remained awake all night, chanting the glories of God and dancing in ecstasy. Lord Keshava thus became most pleased with her devotion and appeared before her, riding on the back of the great GaruDa. The Lord said, ‘Oh beautiful one, you have greatly pleased Me by fasting on the special EkAdasii of the extra month of Purushottama. Please ask Me for a benediction.’

”Hearing these sublime words from the overseer of the entire universe, Padmini offered the Supreme Lord devotional prayers and asked Him for the boon her husband desired. Lord Keshava (<st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>) was moved to reply, ‘Oh gentle lady, I am very happy with you, for there is no month dearer to Me than this, and the EkAdasiis that occur during this month are the most dear to Me of all EkAdasiis. You have followed My devotee AnasUya’s instructions perfectly, and therefore I shall do what will please you. You and your husband will have the desired son that you wish.’

”The Lord, who removes the distress of the world, then spoke to King KArtavirya: ‘Oh King, please ask of Me any boon that will fulfill your heart’s desire, for your dear wife has pleased Me greatly with her devotional fasting.’

”The king was very happy to hear this. Naturally he asked for the son he had desired for so long: ‘Oh master of the universe, Oh killer of the Madhu-demon, kindly grant me a son who will never be conquered by the demigods, human beings, snakes, demons, or hobgoblins, but whom only You can defeat.’ The Supreme Lord immediately replied, ‘So be it!’ and disappeared.

”The king became so very pleased with his wife and returned to his palace in her company. Padmini soon became pregnant, and the mighty-armed KArtaviryArjuna appeared as her son. He was the mightiest person in all the three worlds, and thus even the ten-headed RAvana could not defeat him in battle. Except for Lord NArAyaNa, who holds a club, a disc, and other symbols in His hands no one could overcome him. By the merit that resulted from his mother’s strict and faithful observance of PadminI EkAdasii, he could defeat even the dreaded RAvana. This is not at all surprising, Oh NAradji, for KArtaviryArjuna was the fulfillment of the benediction of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.” With these words, Pulastya Muni departed.’

“The Supreme Lord, Sri Krishna, concluded, ‘Oh sinless Yudhishthira, as you have enquired from Me, I have explained to you the power of this special EkAdasii. Oh best of kings, whoever observes this fast will surely attain to My personal abode. And similarly, if you want all your desires fulfilled, you should do likewise.’

“Hearing these words from the mouth of his beloved Keshava, DharmarAja (Yudhishthira) became filled with joy, and when the time came he faithfully observed PadminI EkAdasii.”

SUta Goswami concluded, “Oh sage Saunaka, I have explained to you all about this meritorious EkAdasii. Anyone who devotedly fasts on the EkAdasiis that occur during the extra, leap-year months, carefully following all the rules, becomes glorious and happily goes back to Godhead. And one who merely hears or reads about these EkAdasiis will also obtain great merit and ultimately enter the abode of Lord Sri Hari.”.

Thus ends the narration of the glories of PadminI EkAdasii, the EkAdasii that occurs during the light fortnight of the extra, leap-year month of Purushottama, from the Skanda PurANa.

3. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Parama Ekadashi - The Story of Parama Ekadasi

Sri Yudhishthira MahArAja said, “Oh Supreme Lord, what is the name and character of that EkAdasii that occurs during the dark fortnight (krishna paksha) of the extra, leap year month of Purushottama. Also, Oh master of all the universes, what is the process for observing it properly? Kindly narrate all of this to me?”

The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krishna, replied, “Oh Yudhishthira, this meritorious day is called ParamA EkAdasii. It bestows the great benediction of an enjoyable life and ultimate liberation, release from birth and death. The process for observing it is similar to that for observing the EkAdasii that occurs during the light part of this month of Kartika. That is to say, on this EkAdasii one should worship Me, the best of all living beings, with full love and devotion. In this connection I will now tell you a wonderful history, just as I heard it from the great sage in the city of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">KAmpilya</st1:City></st1:place>.

“Once a very pious brahmin named SumedhA resided in KAmpilya with his wife, PavitrA, who was extremely chaste and devoted to her husband. On account of having committed some sin in his previous life, SumedhA was without any money or food grains, and even though he begged many people for food, he could not obtain any substantial amount. He hardly had adequate food, clothing, or shelter for himself and his beautiful young wife, who was of such excellent character that she continued to serve SumedhA faithfully despite their poverty. When guests would come to their home, PavitrA mataji would give them her own food, and although she often went hungry, her beautiful, lotuslike face never faded. This fasting made her weak, but her affection for SumedhA remained unbreakable.

“Seeing all this, and lamenting his bad luck, SumedhA one day said to PavitrA, ‘My dear wife, Oh most beautiful one, I beg alms from the rich but receive scarcely a scrap. What am I to do? What possible relief is there for our plight? Where should I go for relief? Oh most obedient and loving wife, without enough wealth, household affairs are never successful. - na vandhu madhye dhanahina jivanam. Therefore please permit me to go abroad and attain some wealth. If I make such an effort, I shall certainly obtain whatever fortune I am destined to enjoy. Without making some endeavour a person cannot satisfy his desires or meet his needs. Thus wise men have said that enthusiastic endeavour is always auspicious.’ The revealed scriptures declare, udyoginah siNgham upaiti laxmi daivena deyati kA purushAh vadantii: “One who endeavours enthusiastically will certainly attain success, but one who merely says, ‘I accept my lot in life’ is a lazy man”.

“Upon hearing this from her husband as he spoke these words, PavitrA joined her palms and, her eyes brimming with tears, spoke to him with great respect and affection: ‘I think there is no one greater or more learned than you, my dear. One who, though in misery, is interested in the welfare of others speaks just as you have. However, the scriptures state that whatever wealth a person attains in his life is due to his having given charity in previous lives, and that if one has not given charity in previous lives, then even though he may sit atop a mound of gold as big as Mount Sumeru, he will still remain poor.

purva-janmArjitaM vidyA
    purva-janmArjitaM dhanam
    purva-janmArjitaM kanyA
    agre dhAvati dhAvatiH

“Transcendental knowledge, spiritual education, satisfying wealth, and pleasing family members are acquired by a person who has given profuse charity. Whatever good a person does returns to him many fold.”

In Manu-nitii, Manu MahArAja says, bhAgyaM phalanti sarvatra na cha vidyA na cha paurusham: “Whatever is predestined by ViddhAtA, the fortune-maker, will surely happen. One’s so called good education, skill, and enthusiasm will not necessarily guarantee to bring one success.”

Whatever charity a person gives in the form of education, money, fertile land, and the like is returned to him in a future lifetime. We gain what we have given, when given with a good heart. Indeed, whatever the Lord of destiny, the creator, has written as one’s fortune will certainly come to pass. No one attains any wealth without having given in charity in his previous life. Oh best of the brahmins, since we are now poor, in our previous lives neither you nor I must have given any/sufficient charity to worthy persons. Therefore, Oh gracious husband, you should remain here with me. Without you I cannot live even a moment.

“’Bereft of her husband, a woman is not welcomed by her father, mother, brother, father-in-law, or any other family members. Everyone will say, “You have lost your husband; you are bad luck/fortune personified!” In this way I shall be criticised severely!

The Nitii-shastras says, vinaAshraye na tishthanti paNDitAH vanitA latAH: “Without proper shelter and support, the following three things cannot survive; a learned man/brahmin, a woman, and a creeper.” Therefore the modern women’s liberation movement is a total failure. Furthermore, the GaruDa PurANa states,

pati dharma pati sargaH
    pati hi paramaM tapaH
    patiri pritim Apanne
    priiyante sarva devatA

“A chaste woman always thinks that pleasing her spiritually situated husband is her heavenly pleasure, utmost duty, and greatest austerity. If her husband is pleased (as Kulottama, Vishnu personified), she thinks the Supreme lord and all the demigods are pleased. The Supreme Lord includes all the devatas (demigods).”
    PavitrA continued, ‘Please, therefore, stay with me and be satisfied with whatever wealth we get. Whatever is destined, we shall obtain in due course of time and enjoy here in perfect happiness.’

“Hearing these plaintive words from his wife, SumedhA decided to remain in their native village. One day the great sage KauNDinya arrived at their place, and upon seeing him the brahmin SumedhA and his wife stood up before him and then offered him their respectful obeisances. With his head bowed, SumedhA welcomed him: ‘We are very fortunate to behold you here today, Oh wisest of sages. My life has become successful, and I am much obliged to you.’

“SumedhA offered KauNDinya Muni a comfortable seat and highly praised his austerities and learning. '‘Just by having your darshan today,' said SumedhA, ‘I have become very fortunate.’ The poor brahmin couple fed the sage as sumptuously as they could afford to according to their means, and afterwards PavitrA asked the mendicant, ‘Oh most learned one, what process can we follow to be relieved of our poverty? How can a person who has not given anything in charity in his previous life get a good family, much wealth, and a fine education in this life? My husband wants to leave me here and go abroad to beg alms, but I have earnestly prayed to him to stay here with me. I humbly told him that if one lacks wealth in the present life, it is because of not having given sufficient charity in previous lifetimes. And so he has consented to remain here. It is only due to my great fortune that you have so mercifully come here today. Now we are certain to see the end of our poverty very soon.

“Oh best of the brahmanas, please tell us how we can be free of this perpetual misery brought on by poverty. Oh merciful one, kindly describe some means – a place of pilgrimage we may visit, a day of fasting we may observe, or an austerity we may perform – by which our ill fortune will end forever.’

“Hearing this sincere supplication from the patient lady, the great sage KauNDinya reflected silently for a moment and then said, ‘There is a fast day very dear to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Hari. Fasting on this day nullifies all kinds of sins and removes all miseries caused by poverty. This fast day, which occurs during the dark part (krishna paksha) of the extra, leap-year month, is known as ParamA EkAdasii. It is the topmost day of Lord Vishnu, hence the name ParamA. This extra month (Purushottam Mase), dark fortnight EkAdasii bestows all the necessities of life, such as money and food grains, and at last gives liberation/release. When the evening of this day comes, one should begin singing the glories of the Lord and dancing in ecstasy, and one should continue through the entire night.

“This holy fast was once observed faithfully by Lord Kuvera (the treasurer of the devas). When Lord Shiva saw how strictly he had fasted, Shiva became very pleased and made Kuvera the treasurer of heaven. Also, king Harishchandra fasted on this EkAdasii after his dear wife and son had been sold, and the king was able to get them back. Thereafter he ruled his kingdom with no further impediments. Therefore, Oh broad-eyed lady, you also should observe the sacred fast of ParamA EkAdasii, following all the appropriate rules and regulations and remaining awake all night.’”

Lord Sri Krishna continued, “Oh Yudhishthira, son of PANDu, in this way KauNDinya Muni mercifully and affectionately instructed PavitrA about the ParamA EkAdasii fast. Then he said to SumedhA, ‘On the DvAdasii, the day after EkAdasii, you should vow to observe PaNcharAtriki fasting according to all the rules and regulations. After taking a bath early in the morning, you and your good wife, along with both your parents and hers, should fast for five days according to your ability. Then you will all become eligible to return home, to the abode of Lord Vishnu.

“’A person who simply makes use of only one seat during these five days goes to the heavenly planets. Whoever feeds qualified brahmins nicely on these five days has in effect fed all the demigods, all human beings, and even all the demons. Whoever donates a pot of drinking water to a twice born brahmin during this five-day period will gain merit equal to that gained by donating the entire planet in charity. Anyone who gives a learned person a pot filled with sesame seeds resides in heaven for as many years as there are seeds in the pot. One who donates a pot filled with golden ghee will surely go to the abode of the sun god after fully enjoying the pleasures of this earthly planet. Whoever remains celibate during these five-days will attain celestial happiness and enjoy with the maidens of Indraloka. Therefore both of you – SumedhA and PavitrA – should fast during these five days of PaNcharAtrika in order to be rewarded with ample grains and wealth for the rest of your lives on this planet. The spiritual world will be your abode thereafter.’

“Hearing this sublime advice, the brahmin couple, SumedhA and PavitrA, properly observed the ParamA EkAdasii and the fast of PaNcharAtrika, and very soon thereafter they beheld a handsome prince approaching them from the royal palace. On the orders of Lord BrahmA, the prince gave them a beautiful, exquisitely furnished house and invited them to live in it. Praising their austerity and patience, he also gave them an entire village for their livelihood. Then he returned to the palace. Thus SumedhA and his wife enjoyed all kinds of facilities in this world and at last went to the abode of Lord Vishnu.

“Anyone who observes a fast on ParamA EkAdasii and also the fast of PaNcharAtrika is freed from all his sins, and after enjoying life he returns to Vishnuloka, as did the brahmin SumedhA and his faithful wife, PavitrA. It is impossible, Oh Yudhishthira, to calculate the extent of the merit one obtains by fasting on ParamA EkAdasii, for such an observance is equal to bathing in places of pilgrimage such as Pushkara Lake and the Ganges river, giving cows in charity, and performing all sorts of other religious activities. One who fasts on this day has also completed the offerings of oblations to his forefathers in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">GayA</st1:place></st1:City>. He has, in effect, fasted on all other auspicious days.

“As in the social order the brahmin are considered the best, as amongst four-legged creatures the cow is best, and as among demigods Lord Indradev is the best, so among all months the extra month of leap-year is the best. The PaNcharAtrika fast – the fast of five days (panch = five, ratri = nights) in the extra, leap year month – is said to remove all kinds of abominable sins. But the PaNcharAtriki fast, together with the fasts of ParamA and Padminii EkAdasii, destroys all a person’s sins. If a person is unable to fast on these days, he should observe the fasts during the extra month according to his ability. A person who, having received a human birth, does not take a proper bath during this extra month and then observes these EkAdasiis, which are very dear to Lord Hari, commits suicide and suffers in the cycle of 8,400,000 species. The rare human birth is meant for accumulating merit and at last achieving liberating release from this material world. Therefore one should by all means observe fasting on this auspicious ParamA EkAdasii.”

Lord Sri Krishna concluded, “Oh sinless Yudhishthira, as you have requested, I have described to you the wonderful merit one can attain by fasting on the EkAdasii named ParamA, which occurs during the dark part of the extra, leap-year month. You should observe this fast if at all possible.”

King Yudhishthira did exactly as Lord Krishna had instructed, and so did all his brothers and their wife, Draupadi. After enjoying pleasures rarely achieved in the material world, they returned home, back to Godhead. Whoever, after taking a proper bath, observes a fast on these two extra-month EkAdasiis will go to heaven and finally attain to the abode of Sri Vishnu, and as he travels there he will be praised and prayed to by all the demigods.

Thus ends the narration of the glories of ParamA EkAdasii, the EkAdasii that occurs during the dark fortnight of the extra, leap-year month, from the Skanda PurANa.

4. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Pasankusha Ekadashi - The Story of Pasankusha Ekadasi

Yudhisthira Maharaja said, "0 Madhusudana, what is the name of the Ekadashi that occurs during the light fortnight of the month of Asvina [September-October] ? Please be merciful and tell this to me."

The Supreme Lord, Shri Krishna, replied, "0 king, please listen as I explain the glories of this Ekadashi - Papankusa Ekadashi-which removes all sins. On this day one should worship the Deity of Padmanabha, the lotusnaveled Lord, according to the rules and regulations. By doing so, one achieves whatever heavenly pleasures he wants in this world and at last attains liberation. Simply by offering one's humble obeisances unto Lord Vishnu, the rider of Garuda, once can achieve the same merit as is won by performing great penances for a long time with completely controlled senses. Although a person might have committed unlimited sins, he can still escape hell just by paying his obeisances to Lord Hari, who removes all sins.

"The merits gained by going on pilgrimage to tirthas of this earthly planet can also be achieved simply by chanting the holy names of Lord Vishnu. ' Whoever chants these sacred names-such as Rama, Vishnu, Janardana, or Krishna-especially on Ekadashi, never sees Yamaraja's abode. Nor does one who fasts on Papankusa Ekadashi, which is so dear to Me, see that abode.

"Both the Vaishnava who criticizes Lord Siva and the Saivite who criticizes Me certainly go to hell. The merit obtained by performing one thousand horse sacrifices and one hundred Rajasuya sacrifices is not equal to even one sixteenth of the merit a person obtains by fasting on Ekadashi. There is no higher merit one can achieve than that attained by fasting on Ekadashi. Indeed, nothing in all the three worlds is as pleasing or as able to purify one of sin as Ekadashi. the day of the lotus-naveled Lord, Padmanabha.

"O king, until a person observes a fast on the day of Lord Padmanabha named Papankusa Ekadashi, he remains sinful, and the reactions of his past sinful deeds never leave him. There is no merit in all the three worlds that can match the merit one attains by observing a fast on this Ekadashi. Whoever observes it faithfully never has to see death personified, Lord Yamaraja. One who desires liberation, heaven, good health, beautiful women, wealth, and food grains should simply fast on this Ekadashi. 0 King, neither the Ganges, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Gaya</st1:City></st1:place>, Kam, nor Puskara, nor even the holy site of Kuruksetra, can grant as much merit as Papankusa Ekadashi.

"0 Yudhisthira, protector of the earth, after observing Ekadashi during the daytime, the devotee should remain awake through the night, for by doing so he easily attains to the abode of the Supreme Lord, Shri Vishnu. Ten generations of ancestors on his mother's side, ten generations on his father's side, and ten generations on his wife's side are all liberated by a single observance of a fast on this Ekadashi. All these ancestors attain their original, four-armed, transcendental forms. Wearing yellow garments and beautiful garlands, they ride to the spiritual world on the back of Garuda, the enemy of the snakes. This is the benediction My devotee earns simply by observing one Papankusa Ekadashi properly.

"0 best of kings, whether one is a child, a youth, or an old person, fasting on Papankusa Ekadashi frees him of sins and makes him immune to suffering a hellish rebirth. Whoever observes a fast on this Ekadashi becomes free of all his sins and returns to the abode of Lord Hari. Whoever donates gold, sesame seeds, fertile land, cows, grain, drinking water, an umbrella, or a pair of shoes on this most holy day will never have to visit the abode of Yamaraja, who always punishes sinners. But if a resident of earth fails to perform spiritual deeds, especially the observance of a fast on holy days such as Ekadashi, his breathing is said to be no better than the puffing-of a blacksmith's bellows.

"0 best of kings, especially on Papankusa Ekadashi, even the poor should first bathe and then give some charity and perform other auspicious activities according to their ability. "Whoever performs sacrifices or builds public ponds, resting places, gardens, or houses does not suffer the punishments of Yamaraja. Indeed, one should understand that a person must have performed such pious activities as these in his past life if he is long-lived, wealthy, of high birth, or free from all diseases. But a person who observes Papankusa Ekadashi goes to the abode of the Supreme Lord."

Lord Krishna concluded, "Thus, 0 saintly Yudhisthira, I have narrated to you the glories of Papankusa Ekadashi. Please question me further if you wish to hear more about Ekadashi."

Thus ends the narration of the glories of the PApANkusha EkAdasii, or Ashwina-shukla EkAdasii, from the Brahma-vaivarta PurANa.

5. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Rama Ekadashi - The Story of Rama Ekadasi

Yudhisthira Maharaj said, “O Janardana, O protector of all beings, what is the name of the Ekadasi that comes during the dark fortnight (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> paksha) of the month of Karttika (October - November)? Please impart this sacred knowledge to me.”

The Supreme Lord, Sri Krishna then spoke as follows, “O lion among kings, please listen as I narrate to you; The Ekadasi that occurs during the dark part of the month of Karttika is called Ramaa Ekadasi. It is most auspicious, for it at once eradicates the greatest sins and awards one the passage to the spiritual abode. I shall now narrate to you its history and glories.”

“There once lived a famous king of the name Muchakunda, who was friendly to Lord Indra, the king of the heavenly planets, as well as with Yamaraj, Varuna, and Vibhishana, the pious brother of the demon Ravana. Muchakunda always spoke the truth and constantly rendered devotional service to Me. Because he ruled according to religious principles, there were no disturbances in his kingdom.

“Muchakunda’s daughter was named Chandrabhaagaa, after a sacred river, and the king gave her in marriage to Shobhana, the son of Chandrasena. One day, Shobhana visited his father-in-law’s palace on the auspicious Ekadasi day. This visit made Shobhana’s wife Chandrabhaagaa quite anxious, for she knew that her husband was physically very weak and unable to bear the austerity of a day-long fast. She said to him, ‘My father is very strict about following Ekadasi. On Dasami, the day before Ekadasi, he strikes a large kettledrum and announces, “Nobody should eat on Ekadasi, the sacred day of Sri Hari !

“When Shobhana heard the sound of the kettledrum, he said to his wife, ‘O beautiful one, what am I to do now? Please tell me how I can save my life and obey your father’s strictness and at the same time satisfy our guests !”

“Chandrabhaagaa then spoke, ‘My dear husband, in my father’s house nobody – not even the elephants or horses, what to speak of consenting human beings – eats on Ekadasi. Indeed, none of the animals are given their ration of grains, leaves, or straw – or even water ! – on Ekadasi, the sacred day of Sri Hari. So how can you escape fasting? My beloved husband, if you must eat something, then you should leave here at once. Now, with firm conviction decide on what you have to do.’

“Prince Shobhana then said, ‘I have decided to fast on the sacred Ekadasi day. Whatever my fate is, it will surely come to pass.’

“Deciding thus, Shobhana attempted to fast on this Ekadasi, but he became unbearably disturbed with excessive hunger and thirst. Eventually the sun set in the west, and the arrival of the auspicious night made all the Vaishnavas very happy. O Yudhisthira, all the devotees enjoyed worshipping Me (Sri Hari) and remaining awake all through night, but Prince Shobhana that night became absolutely unbearable. Indeed, when the Sun rose on the Dwadasi, that Prince Shobhana was dead.

“King Muchakunda observed his son-in-law’s funeral, ordering a large stack of wood be assembled for the fire, but he instructed his daughter Chandrabhaagaa not to join her husband on the funeral pyre. Thus Chandrabhaagaa, after performing all the purificatory processes and procedures for honouring her deceased husband, continued to live in her father’s house.

Lord Sri Krishna continued, “O best of the kings, Yudhisthira, even though Shobhana died because of observing Ramaa Ekadasi, the merit that he accrued enabled him, after his death, to become the ruler of a kingdom high on the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">peak</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mandarachala</st1:placeName></st1:place> Mountain. This kingdom was like a city of the demigods; very lustrous, with unlimited jewels set in the walls of its buildings that gave off light. The pillars were made of rubies, and gold inlaid with diamonds shone everywhere. As King Shobhana sat upon a throne beneath a pure white canopy, servants fanned him with yak-tail whisks. A stunning crown rested upon his head, beautiful earrings adorned his ears, a necklace graced his throat, and bejewelled armlets and bracelets encircled his arms. He was served by Gandharvas (the best of heavenly singers) and Apsaras (celestial dancers). Verily, he resembled a second Indra.

“One day, a brahmin named Somasharma, who lived in Muchakunda’s kingdom, happened upon Shobhana’s kingdom while travelling to various places of pilgrimage. The brahmin saw Shobhana in all his resplendent glory and thought he might be the son-in-law of his own king Muchakunda. When Shobhana saw the brahmin approaching, he immediately rose up from his seat and welcomed him. After Shobhana had paid his respectful obeisances he asked the brahmin about his well-being and about the health and welfare of his (Shobhana’s) father-in-law, his wife and all the residents of the city.

“Somasharma then said, ‘O king, all the residents and subjects are well in your father-in-law’s kingdom, and Chandrabhaagaa and your other family members are also quite well. Peace and prosperity reign throughout the kingdom. But there is one thing, I’m quite astonished to find you here! Please tell me about yourself. Nobody has ever seen such a beautiful city as this! Kindly tell me how you obtained it.’

“King Shobhana then began to tell his story, ‘Because I observed the Ramaa Ekadasi, I was given this splendid city to rule over. But for all of its grandeur, it is only temporary. I beg you to do something to correct this deficiency. You see, this is only an ephemeral city, a place of this material world. How may I make its beauties and glories permanent? Kindly reveal this to me by your instructions.

“The brahmin then asked, ‘Why is this kingdom unstable and how will it become stable? Please fully explain this to me, and I shall try to help you.’

“Shobhana then answered, ‘Because I fasted on the Ramaa Ekadasi without any faith, this kingdom is impermanent. Now hear how it can become permanent. Please return to Chandrabhaagaa, the beautiful daughter of king Muchukunda, and tell her what you have seen and understood about this place and about me. Surely, if you, a pure hearted brahmin, tell her this, my city will soon become permanent.’

“Thus the brahmin returned to his city and related the entire episode to Chandrabhaagaa, who was both surprised and overjoyed to hear this news of her husband. She said, ‘O brahmana, is this a dream you have seen, or is it actually a factual thing?’

“Somasharma the brahmin replied, ‘O Princess, I have seen your late husband face to face in that wonderful kingdom, which resembles a realm of the denizens’ of heavens playgrounds. But your former husband has asked me to relate to you that he says that his kingdom is unstable and could vanish into thin air at any moment. Therefore he hope you can find a way to make it permanent.’

“Chandrabhaagaa then said, ‘O sage among the brahmins, please take me to that place where my husband resides at once, for I greatly desire to see him again! Surely I shall make his kingdom permanent with the merit that I have acquired by fasting on every Ekadasi throughout my life. Please reunite us at once, again. It is said that one who reunites separated persons also obtains very great merit.’

“The humble brahmin Somasharma then led Chandrabhaagaa to Shobhana’s effulgent kingdom. Before reaching it, however, they stopped at the foot of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Mt.</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mandaracala</st1:placeName></st1:place>, at the sacred ashrama of Vamadeva. Upon hearing their story, Vamadeva chanted hymns from the Vedas and sprinkled holy water from his samanya arghya upon Chandrabhaagaa. By the influence of that great Rishi’s rites, the merit she had accrued by fasting for so many Ekadasis made her body transcendental. Ecstatic, her eyes beaming in wonder, Chandrabhaagaa continued on her journey.

“When Shobhana saw his wife approaching him high on <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Mount</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mandarachala</st1:placeName></st1:place>, he was overwhelmed with joy and called out to her in great happiness and jubilation. After she arrived , he seated her on his left side and she said to him, ‘O dearest Patiguru, please listen as I tell you something that will benefit you greatly. Since I was eight years old I have fasted regularly and with full faith on every Ekadasi. If I transfer to you all the merit I have accumulated, your kingdom will surely become permanent, and its prosperity will grow and grow until the coming of the great inundation !’

Lord Sri Krishna then continued to address Yudhisthira as follows, “O Yudhisthira, in this way Chandrabhaagaa who was beautifully decorated with the finest ornaments and had an exquisitely transcendental body, at last enjoyed peace and happiness with her husband. By the potency of Ramaa Ekadasi, Shobhana found his kingdom on the peaks of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Mt.</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mandarachala</st1:placeName></st1:place> able to fulfill all his desires and bestow upon him everlasting happiness, like that achieved from the transcendental Kaama-dhenu milch cow.

“O greatest of kings, I have thus narrated to you the glories of Ramaa Ekadasi that falls in the dark fortnight of the month of Karttika.

“Anyone who observes sacred Ekadasi during both the light and the dark fortnight of each month is undoubtedly freed from the reactions to the sin of killing a brahmin. One should not differentiate between the Ekadasis of the light and dark parts of the month. As we have seen, both can award pleasure in this world and liberate even the most sinful and fallen souls. Just as black cows and white cows give equally good quality milk. So the Ekadasis of the dark fortnight (Krishna paksha) and the light fortnight (shukla or Gaura paksha) award the same high degree of merit and eventually liberate one from the repeated cycle of birth and death. Anyone who simply hears this narration of the glories of the sacred day of Ramaa Ekadasi, is freed from all kinds of sin and attains the supreme abode of Lord Vishnu.”

Thus ends the narration for the glories of the sacred Karttika-krsna Ekadasi, or Ramaa Ekadasi, from the Brahma-Vaivarta Purana of Srila Krishna Dwaipayana Veda Vyaasa.

6. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Prabodhini Ekadashi - The Story of Prabodhini Ekadasi

Lord Brahma said to Narada Muni, "Dear son, O best of the sages, I shall narrate to you the glories of Haribodhini Ekadasi, which eradicates all kinds of sins and bestows great merit, and ultimately liberation, upon the wise persons who surrender unto the Supreme Lord.

"O best of the brahmanas, the merits acquired by bathing in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Ganges</st1:place> remain significant only as long as Haribodhini Ekadasi does not come. This Ekadasi, which occurs during the light fortnight of the month of Kartika, is much more purifying than a bath in the ocean, at a place of pilgrimage, or in a lake. This sacred Ekadasi is more powerful in nullifying sin than one thousand Asvamedha sacrifices and one hundred Rajasuya sacrifices."

Narada Muni inquired, "O father, please describe the relative merits of fasting completely on Ekadasi, eating supper (without grains or beans), or eating once at midday (without grains or beans)."

Lord Brahma replied, "If a person eats once at midday on Ekadasi, the sins of his previous birth are erased, if he eats supper, the sins acquired during his previous two births are removed, and if he fasts completely, the sins accumulated during his pervious seven births are eradicated.

"O son, whatever is only rarely achieved within the three worlds is obtained by him who strictly observes Haribodhini Ekadasi. A person whose sins equal <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Mount</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Sumeru</st1:placeName></st1:place> in volume sees them all reduced to nothing if he simply fasts on Papaharini Ekadasi (another name for Haribodhini Ekadasi). The sins a person has accumulated over a thousand previous births are burned to ashes if he not only fasts but also remains awake throughout Ekadasi night, just as a mountain of cotton can be burned to ashes if one lights a small fire in it.

O Narada, a person who strictly observes this fast achieves the results I have mentioned. Even if one does a small amount of pious activity on this day, following the rules and regulations, one will earn merit to Mount Sumeru in volume; however a person who does not follow the rules and regulations given in the Scriptures may perform pious activity equal to Mount Sumeru in volume, but he will not earn even a small amount of merit. One who does not chant the Gayatri mantra three times a day, who disregards fast days, who does not believe in God, who criticises the Vedic Scriptures, who thinks the Vedas bring only ruination to one who follows their injunctions, who enjoys another's wife, who is utterly foolish and wicked, who does not appreciate any service that has been rendered to him, or who cheats others - such a sinful person can never perform any religious activity effectively. Be he a brahmana or a shudra, whoever tries to enjoy another man's wife, particularly the wife of a twice-born person, is said to be no better than a dog-eater.

"O best of the sages, any brahmana who enjoys sex with a widow or a brahmana lady married to another man brings ruin to himself and his family. Any brahmana who enjoys illicit sex will have no children in his next life, and any past merit he may have earned is ruined. Indeed, if such a person displays any arrogance toward a twice-born brahmana or a spiritual master, he loses all his spiritual advancement immediately, as well as his wealth and children.

"These three kinds of men ruin their acquired merits: he whose character is immoral, he who has sex with the wife of a dog-eater, and he who appreciates the association of rogues. Whoever associates with sinful people and visits their homes without a spiritual purpose will go directly to the abode of Lord Yamaraj, the superintendent of death. And if someone eats in such a home, his acquired merit is destroyed, along with his fame, duration of life, children, and happiness.

"Any sinful rascal who insults a saintly person soon loses his religiosity, economic development, and sense gratification, and he at last burns in the fire of hell. Anyone who likes to offend saintly persons, or who does not interrupt someone who is insulting saintly persons, is considered no better than an ass. Such a wicked man sees his dynasty destroyed before his very eyes.

"A person whose character is unclean, who is a rogue or a swindler, or who always finds fault with others does not achieve a higher destination after death, even if he gives charity generously or performs other pious deed. Therefore one should refrain from performing inauspicious acts and perform only pious ones, by which one will acquire merit and avoid suffering. "However, the sins of one who, after due consideration, decides to fast of Haribodhini Ekadasi are erased from one hundred previous lives, and whoever fasts and remains awake overnight on this Ekadasi achieves unlimited merit and after death goes to the supreme abode of Lord Vishnu, and then thousand of his ancestors, relatives, and descendants also reach that abode. Even if one's forefathers were implicated in many sins and are suffering in hell, they still attain beautifully ornamented spiritual bodies and happily go to Vishnu's abode.

O Narada, even one who has committed the heinous sin of killing a brahmana is freed of all stains on his character by faster on Haribodhini Ekadasi and remaining awake that night. The merit that cannot by won by bathing in all the places of pilgrimage, performing a horse sacrifice, or giving cows, gold, or fertile land in charity can easily be achieved by fasting on this holy day and remaining awake throughout the night.

"Anyone who observes Haribodhini Ekadasi is celebrated as highly qualified and makes his dynasty famous. As Death is certain, so losing one's wealth is also certain. Knowing this, O best of sages, one should observe a fast on this day so dear to Hari - Sri Haribodhini Ekadasi.

"All places of pilgrimage in the three worlds at once come to reside in the house of a person who fasts on this Ekadasi. Therefore, to please the Lord, who holds a disc in His hand, one should give up all engagements, surrender, and observe this Ekadasi fast. One who fasts on this Haribodhini day is acknowledged as a wise man, a true yogi, an ascetic, and one whose senses are truly under control. He alone enjoys this world properly, and he will certainly achieve liberation. This Ekadasi is very dear to Lord Vishnu, and thus it is the very essence of religiosity. Even one observance of it bestows the topmost reward in all the three worlds.

"O Naradaji, whoever fasts on this Ekadasi will definitely not enter a womb again, and thus faithful devotees of the Supreme Godhead give up all varieties of religion and simply surrender to fasting on this Ekadasi. For that great soul who honours this Ekadasi by fasting and remaining awake throughout the night, the Supreme Lord, Sri Govinda, personally terminates the sinful reactions that soul has acquired by the actions of his mind, body, and words.

"O son, for anyone who bathes in a place of pilgrimage, gives charity, chants the holy names of the Supreme Lord, undergoes austerities, and performs sacrifices for God on Haribodhini Ekadasi, the merit thus earned all becomes imperishable. A devotee who worships Lord Madhava on this day with first-class paraphernalia becomes free from the great sins of a hundred lifetimes. A person who observes this fast and worships Lord Vishnu properly is freed from great danger.

"This Ekadasi fast pleases Lord Janardana so much that He takes the person who observes it back to His abode, and while going there the devotee illuminates then ten universal directions. Whoever desires beauty and happiness should try to honour Haribodhini Ekadasi, especially if it falls on Dvadasi. The sins of one's past hundred births - the sins committed during childhood, youth and old age in al those lifetimes, whether those sins are dry or wet - are nullified by the Supreme Lord Govinda if one fasts on Haribodhini Ekadasi with devotion.

Haribodhini Ekadasi is the best Ekadasi. Nothing is unobtainable or rare in this world for one who fasts on this day, for it gives food grains, great wealth, and high merit, as well as eradication of all sin, the terrible obstacle to liberation. fasting on this Ekadasi is a thousand times better than giving charity on the day of the solar or lunar eclipse. Again I say to you, O Naradaji, whatever merit is earned by one who bathes in a place of pilgrimage, performs sacrifices, and studies the Vedas is only one then-millionth the merit earned by the person who fasts but one on Haribodhini Ekadasi. Whatever merit one has acquired in his life by some pious activities becomes completely fruitless if one does not observe the Ekadasi fast and worship Lord Vishnu in the month of Kartika. Therefore, you should always worship the Supreme Lord, Janardana, and render service to Him. Thus you will attain the desired goal, the highest perfection.

"On Haribodhini Ekadasi, a devotee of the Lord should not eat in another's house or eat food cooked by a non devotee. If he does so, he achieves only the merit of fasting on a full moon day. Philosophical discussion of Scriptures in the month of Kartika pleases Sri Vishnu more than if one gives elephants and horses in charity or performs a costly sacrifice. Whoever chants or hears descriptions of Lord Vishnu's qualities and pastimes, even if but a half or even a fourth of a verse, attains the wonderful merit derived from giving away a hundred cows to a brahmana. O Narada, during the month of Kartika one should give up all kinds or ordinary duties and devote one's full time and energy especially while fasting, to discussing the transcendental pastimes of the Supreme Lord. Such glorification of Sri Hari on the day so dear to the Lord, Ekadasi, liberates a hundred previous generations. One who spends his time enjoying such discussions, especially in the month of Kartika, achieves the results of performing ten thousand fire sacrifices and burns all his sins to ashes.

"He who hears the wonderful narrations concerning Lord Vishnu, particularly during the month of Kartika, automatically earns the same merit as that bestowed upon someone who donates a hundred cows in charity. O great sage, a person who chants the glories of Lord Hari on Ekadasi achieves the merit earned by donating seven islands."

Narada Muni asked his glorious father, "O universal sire, I best of all demigods, please tell me how to observe this most sacred Ekadasi. What kind of merit does it bestow upon the faithful?"

Lord Brahma replied, "O son, a person who wants to observe this Ekadasi should rise early on Ekadasi morning, during the brahma-muhurta hour (an hour and a half before sunrise until fifty minutes before sunrise). He should then clean his teeth and bathe in a lake, river, pond, or well, or in his own home, as the situation warrants. After worshipping Lord Sri Keshava, he should listen carefully to the sacred descriptions of the Lord. He should pray to the Lord thus: 'O Lord Keshava, I shall fast on this day, which is so dear to You, and tomorrow I shall honour Your sacred prasadam. O lotus-eyed Lord, O infallible one, You are my only shelter. Kindly protect <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">me.</st1:place></st1:State>'

"Having spoken this solemn prayer before the Lord with great love and devotion, one should fast cheerfully. O Narada, whoever remains awake all night on this Ekadasi, singing beautiful songs glorifying the Lord, dancing in ecstasy, playing delightful instrumental music for His transcendental pleasure, and reciting the pastimes of Lord Krishna as records in bona-fide Vedic literature - such a person will most assuredly reside far beyond the three worlds, in the eternal, spiritual realm of God.

"On Haribodhini Ekadasi one should worship Sri Krishna with camphor, fruits, and aromatic flowers, especially the yellow agaru flower. One should not absorb oneself in making money on this important day. In other words, greed should be exchanged for charity. This is the process for turning loss into unlimited merit. One should offer many kinds of fruits to the Lord and bathe Him with water from a conchshell. Each of these devotional practices, when performed on Haribodhini Ekadasi, is ten million times more beneficial than bathing in all the places of pilgrimage and giving all forms of charity.

"Even Lord Indra joins his palm and offers his obeisances to a devotee who worships Lord Janardana with first-class agastya flowers of this day. The supreme Lord Hari is very pleased when he is decorated with nice agastya flowers. O Narada, I give liberation to one who devotedly worships Lord Krishna on this Ekadasi in the month of Kartika with leaves of the bel tree. And for one who worships Lord Janardana with fresh tulasi leaves and fragrant flowers during this month, O son, I personally burn to ashes all the sins he has committed for then thousand births.

"One who merely sees Tulasi Maharani, touches her, mediates on her, narrates her history, offers obeisances to her, prays to her for her grace, plants her, worships her, or waters her lives in the abode of Lord Hari eternally. O Narada, one who serves Tulasi-devi in these nine ways achieves happiness in the higher world for as many thousands of yugas as there are roots and subroots growing from a mature tulasi plant. When a full grown tulasi plant produces seeds, many plants grow from those seeds and spread their branches, twigs, and flowers, and these flowers also produce numerous seeds. For as many thousands of kalpas as there are seeds produced in this way, the forefathers of one who serves tulasi in these nine ways will live in the abode of Lord Hari.

"Those who worship Lord Keshava with kadamba flowers, which are very pleasing to Him, get is mercy and do not see the abode of Yamaraj, death personified. What is the use of worshipping someone else if all desires can be fulfilled by pleasing Lord Hari? For example, a devotee who offers Him bakula, ashoka, and patali flowers is freed from misery and distress for as long as the sun and moon exist in this universe, and at last he achieves liberation. O best of the brahmanas, an offering of kannera flowers to Lord Jagannatha brings as much mercy upon the devotee as that earned by worshipping Lord Keshava for four yugas. One who offers tulasi flowers (manjaris) to Sri Krishna during the month of Kartika receives more merit than can be obtained by donating ten million cows. Even a devotional offering of newly grown sprouts of grass brings with it a hundred times the benefit obtained by ordinary ritualistic worship of the Supreme Lord.

"One who worships Lord Vishnu with the leaves of the samika tree is freed from the clutches of Yamaraja, the lord of death. One who worships Vishnu during the rainy season with champaka or jasmine flowers never returns to the planet earth again. One who worships the Lord with but a single kumbhi flower achieves the boon of donating a pala of gold (two hundred grams). If a devotee offers a single yellow flower of the ketaki, or wood-apple, tree to Lord Vishnu, who rides on Garuda, he is freed from the sins of ten million births. Furthermore, one who offers Lord Jagannatha flowers and also a hundred leaves anointed with red and yellow sandalwood paste will certainly come to reside in Svetadvipa, far beyond the coverings of this material creation.

"O greatest of brahmanas, Sri Narada, after thus worshipping Lord Keshava, the bestower of all material and spiritual happiness, on Haribodhini Ekadasi, one should rise early the next day, bathe in a rive, chant japa of Krishna's holy names, and render loving devotional service to the Lord at home to the nest of one's ability. To break the fast, the devotee should first offer some prasadam to brahmanas and only then, with their permission, eat some grains. Thereafter, to please the Supreme Lord, the devotee should worship his spiritual master, the purest of the Lord's devotees, and offer him sumptuous food, nice cloth, gold, and cows, according to the devotee's means. this will certainly please the Supreme Lord, the holder of the disc.

"Next the devotee should donate a cow to a brahmana, and if the devotee has neglected some rules and regulation of spiritual life, he should confess them before brahmana devotees of the Lord. Then the devotee should offer them some dakshina (money). O king, those who have eaten supper on Ekadasi should feed a brahmana the next day. That is very pleasing to the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

"O son, if a man has fasted without asking the permission of his priest, or if a woman has fasted without asking her husband's permission, he or she should donate a bull to a brahmana. Honey and yoghurt are also proper gifts for a brahmana. Someone who has fasted from ghee should donate milk, one who has fasted from grains should donate rice, one who has slept on the floor should donate a bedstead with a quilt, one who has eaten on a leaf plate should donate a pot of ghee, one who as remained silent should donate a bell, and one who has fasted from sesame should give gold in charity and feed a brahmana couple with sumptuous food. A man who wants to prevent baldness should donate a mirror to a brahmana, one who has second-hand shoes should donate shoes, and one who has fasted from salt should donate some sugar to a brahmana. During this month everyone should regularly offer a ghee lamp to Lord Vishnu or to Srimati Tulasidevi in a temple.

"An Ekadasi fast is complete when one offers a qualified brahmana a gold or copper pot filled with ghee and ghee wicks, along with eight waterpots containing some gold and covered by cloths. One who cannot afford these gifts should at least offer a brahmana some sweet words. One who does so will surely attain the full benefit of fasting on Ekadasi.

"After offering his obeisances and begging permission, the devotee should eat his meal. On this Ekadasi, Chaturmasya ends, so whatever one gave up during Chaturmasya should now be donated to brahmanas. One who follows this process of Chaturmasya receives unlimited merit, O king of kings, and goes to the abode of Lord Vasudeva after death. O king, anyone who observes the complete Chaturmasya without a break attains eternal happiness and does not receive another birth. But if someone breaks the fast, he becomes either a blind man or a leper.

"Thus I have narrated to you the complete process for observing Haribodhini Ekadasi. Someone who reads or hears about this achieves the merit earned by donating cows to a qualified brahmana."

Thus ends the narration of the glories of Karttika-sukla Ekadasi - also known as Haribodhini Ekadasi or Devotthaani Ekadasi - from the Skanda Purana.

7. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Utpanna Ekadashi - The Story of Utpanna Ekadasi

Suta Gosvami said, "0 learned brdhmanas, long ago Lord Shri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, explained the auspicious glories of Shri Ekadashi and the rules and regulations governing each observance of fasting on that holy day. 0 best of the brdhmanas, whoever hears about the origins and glories of these sacred fasts on the Ekadashi days goes directly to the abode of Lord Vishnu after enjoying many different kinds of happiness in this material world.

"Arjuna, the son of Prtha, asked the Lord, '0 Janardana, what are the pious benefits of complete fasting, eating only supper, or eating but once at midday on Ekadashi, and what are the regulations for observing the various Ekadashi days? Kindly narrate all this to me.

"The Supreme Lord, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>, replied, '0 Arjuna, in the beginning of winter, on the Ekadashi that occurs during the dark fortnight of the month of Margasirsa [November-December], a novice should begin his practice of observing a fast on Ekadashi. On Dasami, the day before Ekadashi. he should clean his teeth nicely. Then, during the eighth portion of Dasami, just as the sun is about to set, he should eat supper.

"'The next morning the devotee should make a vow, according to the rules and regulations, to observe fasting. At midday he should bathe properly in a river, lake, or small pond. A bath in a river is most purifying, that taken in a lake is less so, and a bath in a small pond is the least purifying. If neither a river, lake, nor pond is accessible, he may bathe with well-water.

" 'The devotee should chant this prayer containing the names of Mother Earth: "0 Asvakrante! O Rathakrante! 0 Vishnukrante! O Vasundhare! 0 Mrttike! O Mother Earth! Kindly remove all the sins I have accumulated throughout my many past lives so that I may enter the sacred abode of the Supreme Lord." As the devotee chants, he should smear mud over his body.

"'During the day of fasting the devotee should not speak to those who are fallen from their religious duties, to dog-eaters, to thieves, or to hypocrites. He should also avoid speaking with slanderers; with those who abuse the demigods, the Vedic literatures, or brahmanas; or with any other wicked personalities, such as those who have sex with forbidden women,' those who are known plunderers, or those who rob temples. If any such person is spoken to or even seen during Ekadashi, one must purify oneself by looking directly at the sun.

"'Then the devotee should respectfully worship Lord Govinda with firstclass food, flowers, and so forth. In his home he should offer the Lord a lamp in pure devotional consciousness. He should also avoid sleeping during the daytime and should completely abstain from sex. Fasting from all food and water, he should joyfully sing the Lord's glories and play musical instruments for His pleasure throughout the night. After remaining awake all night in pure consciousness, the worshiper should give charity to qualified brahmanas and offer his humble obeisances unto them, begging their forgiveness for his offenses.

" 'Those who are serious about devotional service should consider the Ekadashis that occur during dark fortnights to be as good as those that occur during bright fortnights. 0 king, one should never discriminate between these two kinds of Ekadashi.

" 'Please listen as I now describe the results obtained by one who observes Ekadashi. in this way. Neither the merit one receives by taking a bath in the sacred place of pilgrimage known as Sankhoddhara where the Lord killed the Sankhasura demon, nor the merit one receives upon seeing Lord Gadadhara directly is equal to one sixteenth of the merit one obtains by fasting on Ekadashi. It is said that by giving charity on a Monday when the moon is full, one obtains a hundred thousand times the results of ordinary charity. O winner of wealth, one who gives charity on the day of the sankranti [equinox] attains four hundred thousand times the ordinary result. Yet simply by fasting on Ekadashi one obtains all these pious results, as well as whatever pious results one gets at Kuruksetra during an eclipse of the sun or moon. Furthermore, the faithful soul who observes complete fasting on Ekadashi achieves a hundred times more merit than one who performs an Asvamedha-yajna [horse sacrifice]. One who observes just a single Ekadashi fast perfectly earns the same merit as one who feeds a hundred thousand mendicants each day for sixty thousand years. And a person who properly observes Ekadashi just once earns ten times more merit than a person who gives a thousand cows in charity to a brahmana learned in the Vedas.

" 'A person who feeds just one brahmacari earns ten times more merit than one who feeds ten good brahmanas in his own house. But a thousand times more merit than is earned by feeding a brahmacari is achieved by donating land to a needy and respectable brahmana, and a thousand times more than that is earned by giving away a virgin girl in marriage to a young, well-educated, responsible man. Ten times more beneficial than this is educating children properly on the spiritual path, without expecting any reward in return. Ten times better than this, however, is giving food grains to the hungry. Indeed, giving charity to those in need is the best of all, and there never has been or ever will be a better charity than this .2 0 son of Kunti, all the forefathers and demigods in heaven become very satisfied when one gives food grains in charity. But the merit one obtains by observing a complete fast on Ekadashi cannot be measured. 0 Arjuna, best of all Kurus, the powerful effect of this merit is inconceivable even to the demigods, and half this merit is attained by one who eats only supper on Ekadashi.

"'One should therefore observe fasting on Lord Hari's day either by eating only once at midday, abstaining from grains and beans; by eating only once in the evening, abstaining from grains and beans; or by fasting completely. The processes of staying in places of pilgrimage, giving charity, and performing fire sacrifices may boast only as long as Ekadashi has not arrived. Therefore anyone afraid of the miseries of material existence should observe Ekadashi. On Ekadashi one should not drink water from a conchshell, kill living entities such as fish or pigs, Dr eat any grains or beans. Thus I have described to you, 0 Arjuna, the best of all methods of fasting, as you have inquired from Me.'

"Arjuna then asked, '0 Lord, according to You, a thousand Vedic sacrifices do not equal even one Ekadashi fast. How can this be? How has Ekadashi become the most meritorious of all days?'

"Lord Shri Krishna replied, 'I will tell you why Ekadashi is the most purifying of all days. In the Satya-yuga there once lived an amazingly fearsome demon called Mura. Always very angry, he terrified all the demigods, defeating even Indra, the king of heaven; Vivasvan, the sun-god; the eight Vasus; Lord Brahma; Vayu, the wind-god; and Agni, the fire-god. With his terrible power he brought them all under his control.

" 'Lord Indra then approached Lord Siva and said, "We have all fallen from our planets and are now wandering helplessly on the earth. 0 lord, how can we find relief from this affliction? What will be the fate of us demigods?"

"'Lord Siva replied, "0 best of the demigods, go to that place where Lord Vishnu, the rider of Garuda, resides. He is Jagannatha, the master of all the universes and their shelter as well. He is devoted to protecting all souls surrendered to Him."'

"Lord Krishna continued, '0 Arjuna, winner of wealth, after Lord Indra heard these words of Lord Siva's, he proceeded with all the demigods to the place where Lord Jagannatha, the Lord of the universe, the protector of all souls, was resting. Seeing the Lord sleeping upon the water, the demigods joined their palms and, led by Indra, recited the following prayers:

"0 Supreme Personality of Godhead, all obeisances to You. 0 Lord of lords, 0 You who are praised by the foremost demigods, 0 enemy of all demons, 0 lotus-eyed Lord, 0 Madhusudana [killer of the Madhu demon], please protect us. Afraid of the demon Mura, we demigods have come to take shelter of You. 0 Jagannatha, You are the doer of everything and the creator of everything. You are the mother and the father of all universes. You are the creator, the maintainer, and the destroyer of all. You are the supreme helper of all the demigods, and You alone can bring peace to them. You alone are the earth, the sky, and the universal benefactor.

"You are Siva, Brahma, and also Vishnu, the maintainer of the three worlds. You are the gods of the sun, moon, and fire. You are the clarified butter, the oblation, the sacred fire, the mantras, the rituals, the priests, and the silent chanting of japa. You are the sacrifice itself, its sponsor, and the enjoyer of its results, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Nothing within these three worlds, whether movable or immovable, can exist independent of You. 0 Supreme Lord, Lord of lords, You are the protector of those who take shelter of You. 0 supreme mystic, O shelter of the fearful, please rescue and protect us. We demigods have been defeated by the demons and have thus fallen from the heavenly realm. Deprived of our positions, O Lord of the universe, we are now wandering about this earthly planet."'

"Lord Krishna continued, 'Having heard Indra and the other demigods speak these words, Shri Vishnu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, replied, "What demon possesses such great powers of delusion that he has been able to defeat all the demigods? What is his name, and where does he live? Where does he get his strength and shelter? Tell Me everything, O Indra, and do not fear."

'Lord Indra replied, "0 Supreme Godhead, 0 Lord of lords, 0 You who vanquish the fear in Your pure devotees' hearts, 0 You who are so kind to Your faithful servants, there was once a powerful demon of the Brahman dynasty whose name was Nadijangha. He was extraordinarily fearsome and wholly dedicated to destroying the demigods, and he begot an infamous son named Mura.

'Mura's great capital city is Candravati. From that base the terribly evil and powerful Mura demon has conquered the whole world and brought all the demigods under his control, driving them out of their heavenly kingdom. He has assumed the roles of Indra, the king of heaven; Agni, the fire-god; Yama, the lord of death; Vayu, the wind-god; Isa or Lord Siva Soma, the moon-god; Nairrti, the lord of the directions; and Pa§i, or Varuna, the watergod. He has also begun emanating light in the role of the sun-god and has turned himself into the clouds as well. It is impossible for the demigods to defeat him. 0 Lord Vishnu, please kill this demon and make the demigods victorious."

'Hearing these words from Indra, Lord Janardana became very angry and said, "0 powerful demigods, all together you may now advance on Mura's capital city of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Candravati</st1:place></st1:City>." Encouraged thus, the assembled demigods proceeded to Candravati with Lord Hari leading the way.

"'When Mura saw the demigods, that foremost of demons started roaring very loudly in the company of countless thousands of other demons, who were all holding brilliantly shining weapons. The mighty-armed demons struck the demigods, who began abandoning the battlefield and fleeing in the ten directions. Seeing the Supreme Lord Hrsikesa, the master of the senses, present on the battlefield, the furious demons rushed toward Him with various weapons in their hands. As they charged the Lord, who holds a sword, disk, and club, He immediately pierced all their limbs with His sharp, poisonous arrows. Thus many hundreds of demons died by the Lord's hand.

"'At last the chief demon, Mura, began fighting with the Lord. Mura used his mystic power to render useless whatever weapons the Supreme Lord Hrsikesa unleashed. Indeed, to the demon the weapons felt just like flowers striking him. When the Lord could not defeat the demon even with various kinds of weaponswhether those that are thrown or those that are held-He began fighting with His bare hands, which were as strong as iron-studded clubs. The Lord wrestled with Mura for one thousand celestial years and then, apparently fatigued, left for Badarikasrama. There Lord Yogesvara, the greatest of all yogis, the Lord of the universe, entered a very beautiful cave named Himavati to rest. 0 Dhananjaya winner of wealth, that cave was ninety-six miles in diameter and had only one entrance. I went there out of fear, and also to sleep There is no doubt about this, 0 son of Pandu, for the great fight made Me very tired. The demon followed Me into that cave and, seeing Me asleep, started thinking within his heart, "Today I will kill this slayer of all demons, Hari."

"'While the wicked-minded Mura was making plans in this way, from My body there manifested a young girl who had a very bright complexion. O son of Pandu, Mura saw that she was equipped with various brilliant weapons and was ready to fight. Challenged by that female to do battle, Mura prepared himself and then fought with her, but he became very astonished when he saw that she fought him without cessation. The king of the demons then said, "Who has created this angry, fearsome girl who is fighting me so powerfully, just like a thunderbolt falling upon me?" After saying this, the demon continued to fight with the girl.

"'Suddenly that effulgent goddess shattered all of Mura's weapons and in a moment deprived him of his chariot. He ran toward her to attack her with his bare hands, but when she saw him coming she angrily cut off his head. Thus the demon at once fell to the ground and went to the abode of Yamaraja. The rest of the Lord's enemies, out of fear and helplessness, entered the subterranean Patala region.

"'Then the Supreme Lord woke up and saw the dead demon before Him, as well as the maiden bowing down to Him with joined palms. His face expressing His astonishment, the Lord of the universe said, "Who has killed this vicious demon? He easily defeated all the demigods, Gandharvas, and even Indra himself, along with Indra's companions, the Maruts, and he also defeated the Nagas [snakes], the rulers of the lower planets. He even defeated Me, making Me hide in this cave out of fear. Who is it that has so mercifully protected Me after I ran from the battlefield and went to sleep in this cave?"

"'The maiden said, "It is I who have killed this demon after appearing from Your transcendental body. Indeed, 0 Lord Hari, when he saw You sleeping he wanted to kill You. Understanding the intention of this thorn in the side of the three worlds, I killed the evil rascal and thus freed all the demigods from fear. I am Your great mahd-sakti, Your internal potency, who strikes fear into the hearts of all Your enemies. I have killed this universally terrifying demon to protect the three worlds. Please tell me why You are surprised to see that this demon has been killed, 0 Lord."

"'The Supreme Personality of Godhead said, "0 sinless one, I am very satisfied to see that it is you who have killed this king of the demons. In this way you have made the demigods happy, prosperous, and full of bliss. Because you have given pleasure to all the demigods in the three worlds, I am very pleased with you. Ask any boon you may desire, 0 auspicious one. I will give it to you without a doubt, though it be very rare among the demigods."

"'The maiden said, "0 Lord, if You are pleased with me and wish to give me a boon, then give me the power to deliver from the greatest sins that person who fasts on this day. I wish that half the pious credit obtained by one who fasts will accrue to one who eats only in the evening [abstaining from grains and beans], and that half of this pious credit will be earned by one who eats only at midday. Also, may one who strictly observes a complete fast on my appearance day, with controlled senses, go to the abode of Lord Vishnu for one billion kalpas after he has enjoyed all kinds of pleasures in this world. This is the boon I desire to attain by Your mercy, my Lord. 0 Lord Janardana, whether a person observes complete fasting, eats only in the evening, or eats only at midday, please grant him a religious attitude, wealth, and at last liberation."

"'The Supreme Personality of Godhead said, "O most auspicious lady, what you have requested is granted. All My devotees in this world will surely fast on your day, and thus they will become famous throughout the three worlds and finally come and stay with Me in My abode. Because you, My transcendental potency, have appeared on the eleventh day of the waning moon, let your name be Ekadashi. If a person fasts on Ekadashi, I will burn up all his sins and bestow upon him My transcendental abode.

"These are the days of the waxing and waning moon that are most dear to Me: Trtiya [the third day], Astami [the eighth day], Navami [the ninth day], Caturdasi [the fourteenth day], and especially Ekadashi [the eleventh day].

"'"The merit one attains by fasting on Ekadashi is greater than that achieved by observing any other kind of fast or by going to a place of pilgrimage, and even greater than that achieved by giving charity to brdhmanas. I tell you most emphatically that this is true."

"'Having thus given the maiden His benediction, the Supreme Lord suddenly disappeared. From that time onward the Ekadashi day became most meritorious and famous all over the universe. 0 Arjuna, if a person strictly observes Ekadashi, I kill all his enemies and grant him the highest destination. Indeed, if a person observes this great Ekadashi fast in any of the prescribed ways,' I remove all obstacles to his spiritual progress and grant him the perfection of life.

"'Thus, 0 son of Prtha, I have described to you the origin of Ekadashi. This one day removes all sins eternally. Indeed, it is the most meritorious day for destroying all kinds of sins, and it has appeared in order to benefit everyone in the universe by bestowing all varieties of perfection.

One should not discriminate between the Ekadashis of the waxing and waning moons; both must be observed, O Naha, and they should not be differentiated from Maha-dvadasi. Everyone who fasts on Ekadashi should recognize that there is no difference between these two Ekadashis, for they comprise the same tithi.

"'Whoever completely fasts on Ekadashi, following the rules and regulations, will achieve the supreme abode of Lord Vishnu, who rides upon Garuda. They are glorious who devote themselves to Lord Vishnu and spend all their time studying the glories of Ekadashi, One who vows not to eat anything on Ekadashi, but to eat only on the next day achieves the same merit as one who executes a horse sacrifice. Of this there is no doubt.

'On Dvadasi, the day after Ekadashi, one should pray, "O Pundarikaksa, O lotus-eyed Lord, now I will eat. Please shelter me." After saying this, the wise devotee should offer some flowers and water at the Lord's lotus feet and invite the Lord to eat by chanting the eight-syllable mantra thrice.' If the devotee wants to gain the fruit of his fast, he should then drink water taken from the sanctified vessel in which he offered water at the Lord's lotus feet.

'On Dvadasi, one must avoid sleeping during the day, eating in another's home, eating more than once, having sex, eating honey, eating from a bell-metal plate, eating urad dal, and rubbing oil on one's body. The devotee must give up these eight things on Dvadasi. If he wants to speak to an outcaste on that day, he must purify himself by eating a tulasi leaf or an amalaki fruit. 0 best of kings, from noon on Ekadashi, until dawn on Dvadasi, one should engage himself in taking baths, worshiping the Lord, and executing devotional activities, including the giving of charity and the performance of fire sacrifices. If one finds himself in difficult circumstances and cannot break the Ekadashi fast properly on Dvadasi, one can break it by drinking water, and then one is not at fault if he eats again after that.

"'A devotee of Lord Vishnu who day and night hears these all-auspicious topics concerning the Lord from the mouth of another devotee will be elevated to the Lord's planet and reside there for ten million kalpas. And one who hears even one sentence about the glories of Ekadashi is freed from the reactions to such sins as killing a brahmana. There is no doubt of this. For all eternity there will be no better way of worshiping Lord Vishnu than observing a fast on Ekadashi.'

Thus ends the narration of the glories of Margasirsa-krsna Ekadasi, or Utpanna Ekadasi, from the Bhavisya-uttara Purana.

8. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Mokshada Ekadashi - The Story of Mokshada Ekadasi

Yudhisthira Maharaja said, "O Vishnu, master of all, 0 delight of the three worlds, O Lord of the universe, 0 creator of the world, O oldest personality, O best of all beings, I offer my most respectful obeisances unto You.

"0 Lord of lords, for the benefit of all living entities, kindly answer some questions I have. What is the name of the Ekadashi that occurs during the light fortnight of the month of Margasirsa and removes all sins? How does one observe it properly, and which Deity is worshiped on that holy day? O Lord, please fully explain this to me."

Lord Seri Krishna replied, "0 Yudhisthira, your inquiry is very auspicious and will bring you fame. Just as I previously explained to you the dearest Utpanna Maha-dvadasi - w ich occurs during the dark part of the month of Margasirsa, which is the day when Ekadashi-devi appeared from My body to kill the demon Mura, and which benefits everything animate and inanimate in the three worlds-so I shall now explain to you the Ekadashi that occurs during the light part of the month of Margasirsa. This Ekadashi is famous as Moksada because it purifies the faithful devotee of all sinful reactions and bestows liberation upon him. The worshipable Deity of this day is Lord Damodara. With full attention one should worship Him with incense, a ghee lamp, flowers, and tulasi manjaris [buds].

"0 best of kings, please listen as I narrate to you the old and auspicious history of this Ekadashi Simply by hearing this history one can attain the merit earned by performing a horse sacrifice. By the influence of this merit, one's forefathers, mothers, sons, and other relatives who have gone to hell can go to heaven. For this reason alone, 0 king, you should listen carefully to this narration.

"There was once a beautiful city named Campaka-nagara, which was decorated with devoted Vaishnavas. There the best of saintly kings, Maharaja Vaikhanasa, ruled his subjects as if they were his own sons and daughters. The brahmanas in that capital city were all expert in four kinds of Vedic knowledge. The king, while ruling properly, had a dream one night in which his father was suffering the pangs of torture in a hellish planet. The king was overwhelmed with compassion and shed tears. The next morning, Maharaja Vaikhanasa described his dream to his council of twice-born brdhmanas.

'0 brdhmanas" the king said, 'in a dream last night I saw my father suffering on a hellish planet. He was crying out, "O son, please deliver me from the torment of this hell!" Now I have no peace, and even this beautiful kingdom has become unbearable to me. Not even my horses, elephants, and chariots give me any joy, and my vast treasury gives me no pleasure at all.

"'Everything, 0 best of the brdhmanas, even my own wife and sons, has become a source of unhappiness since I beheld my dear father suffering the tortures of hell. Where can I go, and what can I do, 0 brdhmanas, to alleviate this misery? My body is burning with fear and sorrow! Please tell me what kind of charity, what mode of fasting, what austerity, or what deep meditation I may perform to deliver my father from his agony and bestow liberation upon my forefathers. O best of brdhmanas, what is the use of one's being a powerful son if one's father must suffer on a hellish planet? Truly, such a son's life is utterly useless!'

"The twice-born brdhmanas replied, 'O king, in the mountainous forest not far from here is the asrama where the great saint Parvata Muni resides. Please go to him, for he knows the past, present, and future of everything and can surely help you in your misery.

"Upon hearing this advice, the distressed king immediately set out on a journey to the asrama of the famous sage Parvata Muni. The asrama was very big and housed many learned sages expert in chanting the sacred hymns of the four Vedas. Approaching the holy asrama, the king beheld Parvata Muni seated among the sages like another Lord Brahma, the unborn creator.

"Maharaja Vaikhanasa offered his humble obeisances to the muni, bowing his head and then prostrating his entire body. After the king had seated himself, Parvata Muni asked him about the welfare of the seven limbs of his extensive kindgdom. The muni also asked him if his kingdom was free of troubles and whether everyone was peaceful and happy. To these inquiries the king replied, 'By your mercy, O glorious sage, all seven limbs of my kingdom are doing very well. Yet there is a problem that has recently arisen, and to solve it I have come to you, 0 brahrrtand, for your expert guidance.'

"Then Parvata Muni, the best of all sages, closed his eyes and meditated on the king's past, present, and future. After a few moments he opened his eyes and said, 'Your father is suffering the results of committing a great sin, and I have discovered what it is. In his previous life he quarreled with his wife when he enjoyed her sexually during her menstrual period. She tried to resist his advances and yelled out, "Someone please save me! Please, 0 husband, do not interrupt my monthly period!" Still he did not leave her alone. It is on account of this grievous sin that your father has fallen into such a hellish condition.'

"King Vaikhanasa then said, 'O greatest of sages, by what process of fasting or charity may I liberate my dear father from such a condition? Please tell me how I can remove the burden of his sinful reactions, which are a great obstacle to his progress toward ultimate liberation.'

"Parvata Muni replied, 'During the light fortnight of the month of Margasirsa there occurs an Ekadashi called Moksada. If you observe this sacred Ekadashi strictly, with a full fast, and give directly to your suffering father the merit you thus obtain, he will be freed from his pain and instantly liberated.'

"Hearing this, Maharaja Vaikhanasa profusely thanked the great sage and then returned to his palace. 0 Yudhisthira, when the light part of the month of Margasirsa at last arrived, Maharaja Vaikhanasa faithfully and perfectly observed the Ekadashi fast with his wife, children, and other relatives. He dutifully gave the merit from this fast to his father, and as he made the offering, beautiful flowers showered down from the sky. The king's father was then praised by the messengers of the demigods and escorted to the celestial regions. As he passed his son, the father said to the king, 'My dear son, all auspiciousness unto you!' At last he reached the heavenly realm.

O son of Pandu, whoever strictly observes the sacred Moksada Ekadashi, following the established rules and regulations, achieves full and perfect liberation after death. There is no better fasting day than this Ekadashi of the light fortnight of the month of Margasirsa, O Yudhisthira, for it is a crystal-clear and sinless day. Whoever faithfully observes this Ekadashi fast, which is like cintamini [a gem that yields all desires], obtains special merit that is very hard to calculate, for this day can elevate one to the heavenly planets and beyond-to perfect liberation."

Thus end the narration of the glories of Margashirsha-shukla Ekadasi or Mokshada Ekadasi, from the Brahmanda Purana.