1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Efficient Time Management With A Toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I am SAHM of 1 yr old toddler. Very limited family support from elders, mostly need to manage home and my child on my own with limited help from DH.
    For personal reasons I want to be an SAHM for the next 1 or 1.5 years atleast.
    My first priority is looking after toddler, also want to achieve certain goals,I.e
    1. Weight loss - 7-8 kgs
    2. Do atleast one certification or acquire one skill that is relevant to my field.
    3. Improve my immunity levels so that few of my health issues will go away.
    Especially back pain due to the wt gain.
    I'm in India and have a maid for cleaning work, all other things like cooking and looking after my child I need to do on my own..
    I'm unable to step outside the house for yoga class or gym.
    I'm left with very little free time, as early morning I ll be busy with cooking work. During my child nap time I have chores to do. Child is fussy and takes time to eat, so every meal or snack takes time to feed.
    My child's sleeping hours are not fixed..maybe 5-6 hours at night and post lunch nap during afternoon. That time I also get exhausted n sleep.
    My husband feels that I have free time but not utilising it properly.
    Please give me few tips to manage my toddler and also make time to achieve the above things..
    if u share your experience like how u all did self improvement stuff while also managing responsibility of home and child it will be helpful to me.

2. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I have 2 kids with 1.5 year age difference. I had not done much on my improvement earlier as I had lot to do. But some things that I used to do is I finish my work when they are not sleeping and enjoy their sleeping time as me time. Give him something to play with or some picture book or something to eat that can keep him busy and finish your work. Also don't let him sleep more at day time then he will sleep more at night and you will also be able to wake up fresh.

Needtobestrong and Sandycandy like this.
  3. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Op

Your husband is wrong. Till kid turns at least 3yrs your full day goes to take care of kid. Kids this young need full time attention..

I used to do like this. Through out day I used to sit n play with kid. Evening when my dh comes will ask him to take care of kid and finish cooking dinner and tomorrow lunch(and keep it in fridge, works in usa as dh leaves 7am and can heat up food in microwave in office).

If you are able to manage house hold work during day, then when dh comes leavr kid with him and step out 1hr for walk or gym.

Weekend you can plan for tech upgradation...

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP,

Dont worry about your dh's comments too much. Full attention is needed to take care 1-year old. Enjoy your time with kid as much as you can. But take care of yourself and dont over do anything beyond your comfort level.

"My husband feels that I have free time but not utilising it properly."
    Next time, hand over the kid to him and ask him to feed the kid or give bath or change diaper etc.. let him also enjoy his baby.

Try to use that time for you. Like going for walk , or doing yoga , take bath or whatever you like. Schedule time wisely (many posts are in IL forum on how to do it).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Even the best husbands don't realize how timeconsuming children are. Childcare is a full-time responsibility, especially now that your child is moving and prone to getting into trouble. Here are just some ways to improve efficiency:

1. Youtube - There are some great mom and baby yoga videos. Try that, so that you are interacting with your baby, and you are improving your physical strength. When I was a SAHM, I had back pain and hand pain, and it really affected me, that I couldn't do all the things I needed to. The yoga definitely helps with this. You can try pilates and barre style workouts at home. I am sure there are videos and home, and they are great for losing weight.
    2. Find ways to do your chores WHILE baby is awake. Use baby's nap time for any studying and personal improvement activities.
    3. Take your baby outside for walks. This sounds crazy, but it's entertainment for baby, and you get a workout - And your house doesn't get messing. That's the best part, less chores.
    4. After work, make your husband care of kid, while you finish the chores you couldn't during the day.

6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Thanks all.
    Yes it's a full time responsibility..that's why I've taken a career break.
    Sometimes I get overwhelmed doing all chores especially when my toddler is extra fussy..I've totally lost touch with all technical stuff of my previous job, hence I'm lacking confidence..if I try to pick up a book or switch on computer to study, some work or the other comes up n I end up putting it aside..
    Rarely there are days when I'm able to do a proper 15 min workout..many days I just skip it if I'm too tired or busy..

7. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

In totally understand what your going thru.
    Relax...
    You need proper nutrition and sleep.
    I would suggest simple things
    1) ask your maid to chip veggies in the morning if she comes in morning / evening means store in fridge . With some extra payment to her.
    2) delegate some tasks to hubby like bathing kid or feeding the baby Breakfast.
    3) Make breakfast, lunch & dinner together. Yes it wont be overwhelming. If you use same channa masala, sambar for breakfast n lunch. Choose gravies and chutneys which you can use for all 3 meals in a day, at least 2 times. Make chapati dough way ahead store in fridge. Basically try to finish everything by morning. For dinner make dosa / chapati. No elaborate meals...
    Ask hubby to buy side dish from restaurant, it won't cost more than 150 rupees once in a week. Have fruits as Breakfast more often, cereals. Choose less cooking n healthy eating options.
    3) fold the clothes , do other chores when baby is awake. Let him know mom is going to work. Watch him doing work, play soft music no tv. Or make him sit in bouncer,or put lots of toys in front of him.only for 30 min.
    4) daily make a list of things to do,so can finish one or two.
    5) don't take all tasks in a day. Split it wisely
    30 min. Set timer.
    Don't take too much stress on yourself.
    6) you definitely need socializing, join gym after you hubby returns from work. All gyms are open till 11. Don't get stressed if u miss a day. 3 days is enough.